What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

****ing hire Gus Malzahn!

This. He is a great coach and in time will get a shot. People ignore that he never had been outside the state of Arkansas until 2006, and even then, he was at Tulsa, a mere hour West of the border of Arkansas, before moving onto Auburn. I don't think he has the connections or the coaching clout to assemble a full staff, especially one that could recruit the West Coast. Somebody named Mack Brown and Urban Meyer, but those guys had coached all over and had significant HC experience before moving onto their current jobs. Malzahn is a different situation.
I get what you are saying, now. But, I dont think his location has as much to do with his ability to hire a good staff as his short time in CF. I think that one of Hawkins biggest downfalls is his lack of a network outside of Boise. His assistants have been ****, and he doesnt have anyone else to recruit into a position that has any real experience.

I get what you are saying, now. But, I dont think his location has as much to do with his ability to hire a good staff as his short time in CF. I think that one of Hawkins biggest downfalls is his lack of a network outside of Boise. His assistants have been ****, and he doesnt have anyone else to recruit into a position that has any real experience.

I agree, and I meant location more in a way of a network. He just doesn't have one that is large enough yet to get a big time D1 job. I think it would be in his best interest to be a HC at a smaller school or continue to be a coordinator for a few more years. If he becomes a HC though I think his network is primarily based in the SE, it'd be tough for him to go into high schools on the West Coast and pull those types of players on a consistent basis. He might make a good hire for the Buffs a few years down the road, but right now it wouldn't be a wise decision.

As an Arkansas fan I must say you are an idiot. If you actually knew anything about the situation then it is very clear why Malzahn left, and he actually took the high road as opposed to Nutt and the rest of his staff. Back to the point of the thread, Malzahn will make a good coach, but honestly CU would not be the right job for him. He has ZERO contacts west of Tulsa. His best bet is staying in the Southeast. Sure he runs a very good scheme on offense, but he would not be a good pickup for CU. I like Malzahn but CU isn't the job for him.

I think I read somewhere that Bill McCartney was from Michigan and didn't have any contacts out west either. How did that pan out?

ya, great, hiring an ex-high school coach who fought so much with his ex boss at Arkansas and was banished to Tulsa as a result is EXACTLY what we need.

You're an idiot. Nutt was the reasoning behind the many issues behind all the turmoil. That's one of the reasons Arkansas fans turned on him. Perhaps you should get your facts in order before you post next time.

I think I read somewhere that Bill McCartney was from Michigan and didn't have any contacts out west either. How did that pan out?

Exactly! In fact, Mac had absolutely NO connections outside of Michigan because that was the only place he coached as an assistant at prior to coming to Boulder.

Malzahn was a big reason why Auburn landed one of the highest recruiting rankings in the history of their historical program. And recruiting the west coast and midwest can't be anymore difficult than recruiting at a school that plays second-fiddle to the likes of Alabama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Tennessee, and Arkansas. He also recruited quite possibly one of the best athletes to every play the game in Cam Newton.

Last edited:
As a Tulsa fan who watched the "Malzahn miracle" in person in 2007 and 2008, I can only say that CO should hire him immediately. In his offensive scheme, very average players were put in a position to win games consistently. And it wasn't just against weak C-USA competition either. Just prior to beginning a 16-game winning streak, BYU lost to Tulsa, with the Golden Hurricane scoring 55 points against a much more talented Cougars team.

With the Malzahn offense, there is only one drawback: your defense spends 40+ minutes on the field, and tends to get gassed. The average Tulsa scoring drive in 2008 - when we were leading the nation in offense - was only six plays and lasted 1 min. 29 sec. !!! It sounds incredible, but you can look it up. That's what happened. Before teams even new what hit them, Tulsa would score 28 points.
I would bet my house that a Malzahn offense would decimate the Pac-10.

He also recruited quite possibly one of the best athletes to every play the game in Cam Newton.

or atleast he can write big checks.... :smile2:

we need that here also :thumbsup:

But who the hell would he hire on the defensive side of the ball? His experience is seriously limited in that regard. Mac had 8 years at Michigan. That is a huge difference.

As a Tulsa fan who watched the "Malzahn miracle" in person in 2007 and 2008, I can only say that CO should hire him immediately. In his offensive scheme, very average players were put in a position to win games consistently. And it wasn't just against weak C-USA competition either. Just prior to beginning a 16-game winning streak, BYU lost to Tulsa, with the Golden Hurricane scoring 55 points against a much more talented Cougars team.

With the Malzahn offense, there is only one drawback: your defense spends 40+ minutes on the field, and tends to get gassed. The average Tulsa scoring drive in 2008 - when we were leading the nation in offense - was only six plays and lasted 1 min. 29 sec. !!! It sounds incredible, but you can look it up. That's what happened. Before teams even new what hit them, Tulsa would score 28 points.
I would bet my house that a Malzahn offense would decimate the Pac-10.

exactly, too bad we apparently have no shot at him now so it's a moot point. but he would be the true "home run" hire.

exactly, too bad we apparently have no shot at him now so it's a moot point. but he would be the true "home run" hire.

Why "no chance"? I know Malzahn says he is "only interested in Auburn," blah blah blah, but he said the same thing on Tulsa. Believe me, he is ambitious and highly energetic. The right offer will pry him loose from Chizik.

The Pac-12 already has a far superior offense to the Malzahn offense...look at the number 1 team in the country people.

Why "no chance"? I know Malzahn says he is "only interested in Auburn," blah blah blah, but he said the same thing on Tulsa. Believe me, he is ambitious and highly energetic. The right offer will pry him loose from Chizik.

I think if we were interested, he would set a price. This is arguably one of the Top 20 jobs in the country, and the move to the Pac-12 only makes it more appealing.

However, I get the feeling hes a southern guy destined for a SEC or Big 12 job.

I think if we were interested, he would set a price. This is arguably one of the Top 20 jobs in the country, and the move to the Pac-12 only makes it more appealing.

However, I get the feeling hes a southern guy destined for a SEC or Big 12 job.

I wonder if Muschamp is still such a hot property in Austin as HCIW?

I wonder if Muschamp is still such a hot property in Austin as HCIW?

One of my buddies said the same thing. Maybe he's losing a little luster with the way that Texas' season has gone and can be lured away.

You guys are starting to get me to warm up on Malzahn. I have openly advocated Leach but I believe I can deal with Malzahn. We need some serious offense in the Pac-12.

Uh...I know its TMZ...but TMZ is now reporting that the FBI may be investigating the Cam Newton situation:

http://www.tmz.com/2010/11/09/cam-n...all-recruiting-auburn-university-mississippi/

Ruh roh...

The FBI may be taking a look at things because funneling $200,000 to a tax exempt organization like a church sounds a lot like money laundering. If there is a shred of truth to any of this, even if there is just an investigation, CU may not want to touch anybody even tangentially related to that program...regardless of whether they are an offensive genius.

ok hog wild-

glad you and i are on the same page about gus not being the guy, but calling me an idiot was hardly necessary. odds are you are probably better informed than i, but the fact remains the situation in fayetteville was flat out dysfunctional when houston and gus were working together and ANYBODY involved in something like that would be a bad move for the buffs right now. lets go get somebody proven.

p.s.- make sure your buddy frank broyles has some pad locks on bobby petrino's front and back doors...wouldnt want him to cut and run again now would we?

Back