1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intentional Grounding

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by InTheBuff, Sep 3, 2013.

1. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

I was at the game and haven't seen it replayed on TV.

Can somebody please explain to me why CSU's QB didn't get called for intentional grounding but Wood did ?

From what I saw it looked like both QBs threw the ball in the vicinity of a receiver.
    CU getting called on the drive at the time was a real killer.

2. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

I was confused as well. Wood's pass seemed closer to the receiver then the CSU QB's. Only difference I can see was that Wood was in the grasp as he threw it. The CSU qb was still scrambling.

3. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

Was a bs call. Either both are bad or both are good. Was very poor one sided officiating

4. Shldr2Shldr

I was more pissed about the 3 passes to PRich where he had a Ram draped on him and no PI call...

5. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

That was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. They were terrible.

6. Shldr2Shldr

The only call they got right was the Targeting call. Glad they didn't eject the kid. On one of Connor's scrambles he stepped out about half way through the run and they didn't review it. I saw it in the one quick replay they showed.

7. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

I thought the call on Wood was the correct call. The non call on CSU was a joke.

8. pcbuff

pcbuff Well-Known Member

Where was the officiating crew from?

Mtn West crew or Pac 12?

I thought the let them play for the most part. I would of liked a flag for taunting, but that is just my fandom seeping through.

9. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

MWC. I thought it was Pac-12 by how poor the officiating was.

10. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

I just thought it was bad to let Grayson's slip but then call it late in the game giving csu another chance.
    This was just after csu had gone for it on 4th down at mid-field and was stuffed.

11. XIIfan

XIIfan Member

If I remember correctly, Grayson's pass went past the LOS and Wood's didn't. I thought you had to get outside the tackles and pas the LOS to avoid intentional grounding. Not sure what happens if you hit your target in the feet behind the LOS though (Wood was close).

12. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

It was the wrong call both times. Grayson's pass hit his o-lineman on the fly without being batted, which I believe is an automatic penalty, is it not? Not to mention the "intended receiver" was blocking at the time of the pass. Wood's pass was short of the mark, but there was a receiver coming back to the ball when it hit the ground. Just a terrible call.

I did think the officiating was terrible, I didn't think it was one-sided, though. There were some blown calls both ways.

13. Alfred91

Grayson's pass didn't cross the LOS either. It hit his o-lineman in the foot.

14. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

YES!!!! That was another call they didn't make. PRich in the end zone, defender breaks it up, and then is double finger pointing in PRichs face and taunting...and...circkets. Ref right there, nothing done about it. Pissed me off. Some of the worst tauting I have ever seen after a play and they sit on their flags. That was crap.

15. AeroBuff99

AeroBuff99 Club Member Club Member

After watching the DVR, both calls were technically correct. The RB was within 1 or two yards of where the ball was thrown by Grayson, on Wood's the ball was more like 10 yards away even though he threw it in the general direction, it wasn't in the vicinity of a receiver. As for illegal touching (pass hitting the lineman's foot), the touching must have been intentional according to the rule book.

azbuff likes this.
  16. pcbuff

pcbuff Well-Known Member

In film I would make him a hero as we watched that.

Seriously, I would have punched the guy. PRich seems to be doing it right!

17. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

This is exactly right.

18. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

But the ball doesn't have to be in the vicinity of a receiver. It has to have been INTENDED to be in the vicinity of a receiver. Wood was clearing attempting to get the ball to Murphy, but due to the pressure made an inaccurate throw. I didn't think either play was IG....

19. AeroBuff99

AeroBuff99 Club Member Club Member

Nope, rule 7.3.2.h clearly states "A forward pass is illegal if the passer to conserve yardage throws the ball forward into an area where there is no eligible Team A receiver."

20. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Except there was a eligible receiver there, and the ball would have made it to him had Connor not gotten hit as he was throwing it.

21. 14er

14er “Imitation is suicide.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

I perceived it as Conner threw it away to avoid the sack. Not that he was throwing it when he got hit.

22. rolandftw

rolandftw Club Member Club Member

Watching it live, was pretty clear that Wood was going to get called for intentional grounding there. Both were the correct calls.

23. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Apparently you missed the TV camera angle from directly behind wood, showing Murphy crossing on his pattern and the ball thrown in his direction (with Wood's eyes trained on Murphy). It was an inaccurate throw. It was not intentional grounding, certainly no more so than when GiGi threw a ball directly at the feet of a RB engaged in a block for the Rams....

24. Alfred91

The idea that Wood didn't throw it toward a receiver is ridiculous.

By you guys' logic, every time a QB is hit while throwing the ball, it should be grounding - assuming the ball doesn't land at someone's feet.

25. Quattro

:nod:

26. azbuff

No one said it wasn't thrown towards a receiver. However, the ball landed at least ten yards from the receiver. It wasn't remotely close. Hence, the correctly called intentional grounding penalty.

27. Quattro

Because he was hit as he was throwing the ball

28. azbuff

Okay, if you can honestly watch the replay and conclude Wood wasn't just trying to get rid of the ball (i.e., he was actually trying to complete that pass). He threw it in the direction of the receiver to avoid the intentional grounding penalty, he just didn't throw it close enough. I have a sneaking suspicion you would feel differently about the play if the tables were turned.

29. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

I only saw the play at the game but I thought Wood was getting hit before he started the throw, and before being taken down tried to toss the ball towards a receiver but really didn't get that close.

30. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I guess I'm the only one who noticed Wood lost control of the ball and kind of pushed it forward. We may have dodged a bullet.