1. A new Club member feature has been added. If you wish to ignore a thread or forum please see this thread.. If you are not a club member, but would like this feature please consider becoming a member here

Interesting Bracketology Note...

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by TZISKIN, Feb 20, 2012.

1. TZISKIN

TZISKIN Active Member

Just did some quick research on teams getting into the NCAA with sub-.500 conference records (including their conference tournament).

Last year's field only consisted of 2 teams with such a flaw... Villanova (RPI: 38) and Illinois (RPI: 48). Interestingly, both were seeded as 9 seeds in the tournament. There were quite a few tournament teams with .500 records or slightly above .500, so thought that was an interesting distinction.

Bracketology updates would suggest that there are at LEAST 7 teams getting consideration for the bubble which would fall into this category currently...

Illinois
    Minnesota
    Northwestern
    Connecticut
    Seton Hall
    Mississippi (probably out)
    Wyoming (probably out)

Just thought that was interesting and will be interested to find out if this year's committee breaks the trend on these such teams being left out of the field.

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I've been wondering about this. If the committee gives it a lot of consideration, that's the Pac-12's path to 3 bids.

3. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Member

Of that group, I think only UConn and Illinois get in as of right now....I don't care how good the Big 10 is ranked...a 5 or 6 win conference team does not deserve to get in the tournament

4. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Illinois is an absolute mess.

5. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Not sure Weber survives this season.

6. GoonieBuff

GoonieBuff Not really Club Member

I agree. He gave up on winning, his team gave up on him, and Illini fans have seen enough. With the new AD in place, unless they go on a crazy run, he's gone.