What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Interesting comments from Ringo regarding the Miami (OH) game

Duff Man

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member
Sounds like the rumors about that game being cancelled are likely not true, but that it is not out of the question. Sounds like money may ultimately prevent Miami from backing out.

I asked CU athletic director Mike Bohn and sports information director Dave Plati whether the game was still on. They insist it is.

"I fully expect us to be playing there on Sept. 12," Plati said. "We have not been searching for other opponents."

But here is the catch.

I also asked Plati's counterpart at Miami (Ohio) about a possibility of the game being cancelled. Mike Pearson, assistant athletic director for communication and technology at Miami, said he could not say definitively that the game was still going to be played. He said the athletic department plans to announce at least one change to its schedule soon. He said CU could be a part of the change. That was news to Bohn and Plati.

So let's say Miami does decide to cancel its home game against CU. The contract between the schools calls for the canceling party to pay the other $750,000. The game guarantee is only $250,000. That means Miami would be paying $500,000 more not to play CU than it would to play the game. Plati said it is very unlikely the game is canceled for that reason alone.

BTW, Miami has a brutal schedule next year.:wow:

http://www.buffzone.com/blogs/buffzone-sports/2009/feb/20/miami/

If the game is changed (which I doubt), but IF it is...

The contract between the schools calls for the canceling party to pay the other $750,000.

Where does the money go? Back into the General Fund? Or does it stay with football?

I see what you mean:

the Redhawks have a new coach and a tough nonconference schedule this year with games against CU, Boise State, Northwestern and Cincinnati. That's pretty brutal for first-year coach Mike Haywood.

2008:
Northwestern went 9-4 (Lost to Missouri in Alamo Bowl)
Cincinnati went 11-3 (Lost to Virginia Tech in Orange Bowl)
Boise State went 12 -1 (Lost to TCU in Poinsettia Bowl)

Heh, we're probably the least scary of the that group. Kinda funny how the Miami AD says it's a possibility where CU is saying they haven't even considered talking to other schools about filling the potential scheduling hole. But I agree I don't see how Miami can afford to drop us, not to mention, it's a home game for them.

If it got cancelled, would we try to fill the void? Would that even be possible given how late it is? We'd likely have to settle for a I-AA team. :huh:

K-State has a couple empty spots on their dance card. Can we play 'em twice?

Sounds like the chances of Miami opting out of the game have gone way up.

http://www.buffzone.com/blogs/buffzone-sports/2009/feb/28/miami/

Miami now wants out of the CU game in order to play Kentucky in Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati, a likely sellout considering the proximity of so many Kentucky fans. The thing is, Miami and the MidAmerican Conference have to make things right with Colorado and part of doing so means replacing the current game with another game suitable for ESPN on, say, a Friday night , as was planned for the Miami game.

The MidAmerican Conference is heavily involved in trying to rework several schedules for teams in its conference to satisfy numerous schools involved in the shakeup necessary to make everything work and not have to pay a stiff price in game cancellation fees.

For instance, if Miami completely bails on Colorado, the contract between the two schools calls for it to pay CU $750,000, a price it probably can't afford. Miami can probably get out of that fine if and the MAC find a suitable opponent and ESPN agrees to televise the game, same as before.

If they can find someone else like Bowling Green or Toledo (mentioned in the article) that gets the game on ESPN, I'm fine with it. I just don't want us left scrambling to schedule a 1-AA team.

Miami (oh), Bowling Green, and Toledo all seem pretty similar. Either play one of them or grab another home game.

Miami (oh), Bowling Green, and Toledo all seem pretty similar. Either play one of them or grab another home game.

Toledo is better than Miami of ohio. Bowling green has had some decent teams.

Maybe we can play kent state or akron :smile2:

I think CU needs to play hardball with this one. If they bail, we get the $750K and then reschedule a HOME game. At this point, most of the schedules are set. Finding a replacement now would be very difficult, and would likely involve a D-II team.

I think CU needs to play hardball with this one. If they bail, we get the $750K and then reschedule a HOME game. At this point, most of the schedules are set. Finding a replacement now would be very difficult, and would likely involve a D-II team.

Sounds like a Win/Win situation here....as long as we schedule a home team and bring in even more revenue

How classic would it be if this does go down, we bring in another home game and essentially **** all over the rammies up north by not playing in Invesco for the very reason of not having enough home games....:lol: would be poetic

If Miami thinks that they can fob us off with a different opponent without paying us the $750,000, Bohn ought to tell them to get stuffed.

The neutral site game against Ole Miss in Dallas is pretty much impossible now, since BYU/Oklahoma is that same weekend. I can't see Mississippi coming to Folsom without a return date in sight.

It' s interesting that Kyle is one reporting about the Miami game being in jeopardy.

It was just a week ago that he devoted his weekly blog to "de-bunking" the rumors about just such a move ....

http://www.buffzone.com/blogs/buffzone-sports/2009/feb/20/miami/

The AD probably told Ringo to be quiet and they would give him the "scoop".

There has been way too much smoke around this game for too long. Finally it comes out that Miami wanted to better deal us.

I won't repeat (C&P) premium info here, but will divulge that Ringo posted on Scout to expect an announcement in the next few days.

Apparently it will be to name a different game being played that week, but it will still be an away game, not home. He indicates Miami very doubtful.

I won't repeat (C&P) premium info here, but will divulge that Ringo posted on Scout to expect an announcement in the next few days.

Apparently it will be to name a different game being played that week, but it will still be an away game, not home. He indicates Miami very doubtful.
ANOTHER AWAY game. wtf for? how is that in any way helpful? If its another home and home with some **** team, **** that.

If its another home and home with a name rec team, thats both good and bad...

If Miami thinks that they can fob us off with a different opponent without paying us the $750,000, Bohn ought to tell them to get stuffed.

The neutral site game against Ole Miss in Dallas is pretty much impossible now, since BYU/Oklahoma is that same weekend. I can't see Mississippi coming to Folsom without a return date in sight.
Your AD doesn't have to say anything, those contracts are pretty air tight. They would have to pay the money.

ANOTHER AWAY game. wtf for? how is that in any way helpful? If its another home and home with some **** team, **** that.

If its another home and home with a name rec team, thats both good and bad...
cu doesn't have enough clout to demand anything.

If Miami finds a comparable replacement like say Toledo, Ohio, etc., would Bohn have to accept it or would he still have the option of saying no, just pay us the 750K?

If Miami finds a comparable replacement like say Toledo, Ohio, etc., would Bohn have to accept it or would he still have the option of saying no, just pay us the 750K?

I would hope so....and I would hope he tells them exactly that...iI would be completely baffled if we end up with another away game and none of that money....t's not like we need to build good repoire in the MAC conference?

I would hope so....and I would hope he tells them exactly that...iI would be completely baffled if we end up with another away game and none of that money....t's not like we need to build good repoire in the MAC conference?

Is there a way to search and find out what teams (in all conferences) have open dates that weekend? I can't seem to find an easy way to do that.

Back