What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Interesting Embree comments on the Seniors

Their final goal was:

at the end of the Utah game, the seniors get a standing ovation for participating and celebrate with juicy juice boxes at the 50 yard line of Utah's field.

The fact that they're just strolling into Embree's office in ones or twos points to the 'playing out the string' attitude. If they wanted to make a splash they'd get together on their own time and get this figured out as a group and lead this team. They're not.

that would seem to be accurate. JE's problem is he's going to have to take the results of "playing out the string" not only on the road to recruit, but as part of his coaching evaluation in terms of W's and L's. he's got every right to be concerned. it's their string, but his baggage.

that would seem to be accurate. JE's problem is he's going to have to take the results of "playing out the string" not only on the road to recruit, but as part of his coaching evaluation in terms of W's and L's. he's got every right to be concerned. it's their string, but his baggage.

It is JE's problem, and if this is how the seniors respond, I'd expect their asses continuing to see increasing bench time. If they're not going to lead, then get out of the way and build for the future.

It is never too late to make goals, and it's a good lifelong skill to know how to reevaluate yourself and change your goals based on the current situation. Likely most goals set at the beginning of the year are unattainable now, so you must reassess and set new ones.

I agree.

I reavaluate every five years, and then develop a new Five Year Plan.

NSIS, but if he isn't advocating to fire Cabral there, he is certainly implying it is the right move.

Wrong, read it again. I never said we should fire anyone, but I am saying Cabral should be on a short leash (and Brown for that matter). He's been on the defensive staff during arguably the worst stretch of football in Colorado history, and his recruiting is simply not good enough. The defense lacks talent, speed, and depth so I don't think Cabral should be above criticism.

It is never too late to make goals, and it's a good lifelong skill to know how to reevaluate yourself and change your goals based on the current situation. Likely most goals set at the beginning of the year are unattainable now, so you must reassess and set new ones.

How about a goal of **** you

Another coach expecting a senior class to step up and lead, after 8 games into the season. It's obvious the leadership Embree is looking for in this 2011 senior class isn't there, and considering the lack of talent and numbers in next years, it won't be again. So what's he going to do?

We saw Barnett do this for three years after the 2002 season, the last real good season for the Buffs. His asking the seniors to step up and lead worked for two of his seven years, and Embree is taking the same approach. This year it's way too late, but I would expect he's setting the expectations for years to come. It would be awesome to have a senior class step up and insprire this team to win a road game or two and stop the losing, but considering the state of this year team and the program, that is not happening this year. Coaches can provide leadership and motivation when the seniors can't or won't. But will they?

Why in the hell would we fire Cabral or even have him on a 'short leash'? One year of poor linebackers and 20ish years of good and great ones. Yeah makes sense.

I'd like to join this cool thread. Who am I supposed to bash? Just point me in the right direction. Embree? Cabral? The seniors? Brown? Hawk? How about Bohn? His name hasn't come up yet.

Why in the hell would we fire Cabral or even have him on a 'short leash'? One year of poor linebackers and 20ish years of good and great ones. Yeah makes sense.

He's a legend, no doubt but it hasn't been one bad year. Our best linebacker in the past 4 years was Jeff Smart - a decent player, but we're not exactly Linebacker U these days. Our current 2 deep includes Patrick Mahnke, Lowell Williams, and 3 true freshman. Those are his players and we can't blame Hawk alone for lack of talent at the position. It would be one thing if we were had a bunch of top prospects coming in as reinforcements, but our LB recruiting has been atrocious for a couple years now.

I know people disagree and that's fine, I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, but I really believe Cabral needs to be better.

He's a legend, no doubt but it hasn't been one bad year. Our best linebacker in the past 4 years was Jeff Smart - a decent player, but we're not exactly Linebacker U these days. Our current 2 deep includes Patrick Mahnke, Lowell Williams, and 3 true freshman. Those are his players and we can't blame Hawk alone for lack of talent at the position. It would be one thing if we were had a bunch of top prospects coming in as reinforcements, but our LB recruiting has been atrocious for a couple years now.

I know people disagree and that's fine, I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, but I really believe Cabral needs to be better.
We all must strive to be better, Grasshopper.

I would submit that Greer looked pretty good as a true frosh last weekend.

I'd like to join this cool thread. Who am I supposed to bash? Just point me in the right direction. Embree? Cabral? The seniors? Brown? Hawk? How about Bohn? His name hasn't come up yet.

Sinkratz, I think.

Wrong, read it again. I never said we should fire anyone, but I am saying Cabral should be on a short leash (and Brown for that matter). He's been on the defensive staff during arguably the worst stretch of football in Colorado history, and his recruiting is simply not good enough. The defense lacks talent, speed, and depth so I don't think Cabral should be above criticism.

Christ, you are a pussy. In or out, son? I guess you're out, but I can't tell by your flip-flops.

Christ, you are a pussy. In or out, son? I guess you're out, but I can't tell by your flip-flops.

Never flip flopped, but if being internet tough guy makes you feel better, knock yourself out.

We're 1-7, getting slaughtered, we look over-matched in all phases, and recruiting is mediocre at this point. We've got a handful of commits I'm pretty excited about, but we're way behind in some of our biggest areas of need (OL, DB, LB, and TE). No one is getting fired (and they shouldn't), but it's too easy just to say that injuries and shi**y players are the only thing wrong with this team - I don't see why members of the current staff (particularly the ones who have been here for years and have a hand in this mess) should be above criticism.

I hope this staff brings it all together and in 3 years we're back to competing for conference championships, but we're a long way away.

in that article Embree talks about steller recruiting and a great past weekend at the O game? does anyone have details of who these STUDS are? how good we are doing in recruiting?

in that article Embree talks about steller recruiting and a great past weekend at the O game? does anyone have details of who these STUDS are? how good we are doing in recruiting?
Hemilia, 4 * oG, Mcnamara, 4 * TE, Dillon, 3* QB, Kafovalu (sp?), 3 star DE/DT. Norgard was in as well.

This challenge to the seniors is obviously a teaching moment. Embree was for sure testing the seniors, but is also sending a message to the underclassmen: will this be a team or a bunch of individuals?

Sinkratz, I think.

Actually, Walrus, I welcome more leadership advice from this dude. . . . .especially if tells me where I can find the magic success wand that he references by implication in his sage and experienced breakdown of a profession he obviously is qualified to disect. Man. . . . if I could get ahold of one of these magic success wands, I would crap gold!!!!

Actually, Walrus, I welcome more leadership advice from this dude. . . . .especially if tells me where I can find the magic success wand that he references by implication in his sage and experienced breakdown of a profession he obviously is qualified to disect. Man. . . . if I could get ahold of one of these magic success wands, I would crap gold!!!!

What the f**k are you talking about? Success wand? This is a fan message board not a g**damn coaching clinic, it's an opinion nothing more. But thanks for explaining how this works, from here on out I'll just blame the old coach and the talent he left behind and have faith the current staff is doing everything right despite actual results.

I don't see why members of the current staff (particularly the ones who have been here for years and have a hand in this mess) should be above criticism.

I think this is a fair statement. Sink is simply asking some of the coaches that are here now and were here under D2 to be better. I think we all want that. Furthermore, we know what Cabral can do, so to expect better from him is certainly fair. I for one think that the recruiting support Cabral is getting from the rest of this staff is light years better than D2's, so I believe the improvement will be seen sooner than later. Cabral has earned the benefit of the doubt for many reasons, but is not above criticism.

I liked what I saw from Derrick Webb, Rippy, before the injury was blossoming once Coach Care Bear got out of the way and players who wanted to lay the wood were encouraged, rather than told to tone it down, Major is a nice player, I think he will be better next year, a year further fromhis injury, Juda Parker will be a plyer IMO. Cabral is still doing a good job if you ask me. Hell, Jordon Dizon was not recruited as an LB and BC turned him into a NFL 2d rounder, what do you want the guy to do?

Back