What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Interesting Embree comments on the Seniors

Results will say we don't have the personel to run a pro style offense on O or a 3-4 on D.

Results will say we don't have the personel to run a pro style offense on O or a 3-4 on D.

...and they could also say we have two coordinators learning on the job. I know it is tough for you to believe, but a first time HC, OC, and inexperienced DC can and will mistakes at times, talent issues aside.

...and they could also say we have two coordinators learning on the job. I know it is tough for you to believe, but a first time HC, OC, and inexperienced DC can and will mistakes at times, talent issues aside.

Plus neither have coached together in over 5 years. Kennedy, Scherer, Tui, McGhee, Cabral, and Marshall all have not worked with eachother at all (minus Marshall and Cabral a decade ago)

No ****? You just turned my world upside down. EB damn near got hired by USC when Kiffin came to town so obviously people see great potential in him. Pretty much everyone knew this was going to be a rough year anyway so I don't mind it. I'd much rather have someone come in the first year and learn on the job with a team with little talent than take over a team with loads of talent and waste it by learning.

No ****? You just turned my world upside down. EB damn near got hired by USC when Kiffin came to town so obviously people see great potential in him. Pretty much everyone knew this was going to be a rough year anyway so I don't mind it. I'd much rather have someone come in the first year and learn on the job with a team with little talent than take over a team with loads of talent and waste it by learning.
You mean the same genius' who hired Kiffin?

Allsome

What does experience have to do with anything? They are former Buffs and that's all that is important. That's way more important than actually having been any of those titles before or actually having proved they could handle a "turnaround" position at any level. They are Buffs.

Thank you Joel.

With that said, I'm firmly still supporting these guys and I like the staff Embree put together and have faith still. He surrounded EB with other offensive minds who have been OC's for instance. But recruiting isn't the most important thing in a turnaround. They are going to have to prove thru good coaching starting now, that they can make the Buffs better with what they got. Recruiting follows good coaching. John Blake and many others have proven that recruiting talent without good coaching is useless. Good coaching will turn into good recruiting. If Bo Pelini can recruit, anyone can.

Is Embree going to be the answer as our HC, I hope so but nobody, including every poster on this board, knows if he will or not.

If you look at coaching hires you see that there is no magic formula for hiring a successfull coach. Lots of schools have hired guys who were successful head coaches at other schools only to have them fail miserably. Honestly speaking I and virtually everyone here thought that hiring a guy with a 55-9 (or something like that) record at Boise was a slam dunk. Had CU not hired Hawkins some other school in a major conference would have. Lots of other schools have hired coaches from mid-major schools to very mixed results.

Other schools have gone the coordinator route, hiring a guy who was an OC or DC at a top 10 school, again some succeed and other bust. Same can be said about hiring guys from inside the school like alums, former assistants, etc.

Some of the most successful hires have been guys who were repeatedly overlooked by other schools. Mac to CU, Sonny to CSU are two examples locally. Bill Snyder only went to KSU because he knew that he was considered to old and would never get a shot at a decent program.

CU didn't have a huge number of options hiring Embree. This is a school that kept a loser longer than it should have because it didn't or couldn't afford to buy him out earlier in a tough political environment. The new coach was going to take over a roster almost devoid of AQ level talent but loaded down with bad attitudes. He was going to come into an environment in which most of his assistants would have one year contracts and thus little job security and lower than normal salaries in an expensive city to live. For this the coach was going to be one of the lowest paid coaches in any AQ conference.

Bob Stoops wasn't spending time considering leaving OU for CU, Jim Harbaugh wasn't considering skipping out on the 49ers job to come to Boulder. Of the guys we had available Embree had the best experience even if it wasn't as a coordinator. He worked as an NFL assistant under some of the most intelligent, best prepared HC in the game. Bienemy also had some serious individuals teaching and influencing him.

All this said it is ridiculous to even consider firing assistants and making changes before the staff has even had a chance to work with a roster that is made up of a mojority of their recruits, a staff that hasn't had time to implement their system or to significantly change the mindset of the team.

Give them at least two years and two classes to start showing significant progress. By that time we should at least have an idea if the train is on the right track.

Back