1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting observation...

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by HotRack, Dec 11, 2009.

1. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

The contract lengths of the newly hired coaches..

Strong - Louisville - 5 years
    Taggart - WKU - 5 years
    London - Virginia - 5 years
    Kelly - ND - terms not yet disclosed but rumor is 5 years

Now, yes, Hawk did get an extension, but does there seem to be a paradigm shift from the "4-year" plan to the "5-year" plan?

Was our illustrious adminstration ahead of the curve (tongue in cheek)?:smile2:

Seriously, though, maybe it does take 5-years to really get something going unless you walk in to a UT, Florida type job. Previous examples - Missouri, Kansas...

Thoughts? Uh, oh...was that a juicebox I just drank from my lunchpail?

2. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

CU's original contract with Hawkins was for 5 years.

3. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

It's possible, but I would think that it is more of a "market value" than some known term length to "rebuild" a program.

Certainly the coaches want to get the longest term possible, while the admin wants the shortest term to "prove" themselves.

I think the 5-year deal is bent towards the recruiting angle more than anything else, as in incoming recruits can "guarantee" that the coach will be there for their school career (at least for the all important 1st class).

4. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

got yours right here.

[​IMG]

CUBUFF80 likes this.
  5. HotRack

:lol: :rofl2: :lol:

I can just imagine the look on my staff's face if I walked in with that!

6. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

That wasn't apple juice...

7. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

Most coaching contracts are 5 years and have been for a long time. Barnett's original and renewal were both 5 years. Same with coaches at other schools.

8. AlferdJasper

5 years make sense because that first year is really figuring out who was left in the cupboard, what they can do, what holes you need to fill in the upcoming classes, implementing your style and your playbook.

See, I really think Hawkins might get it right in year 5. I know it seems unlikely, but he really does have some talent lining up in 2010 ---

mo' koolaid anyone?

9. HotRack

Cherry, please!:smile2:

I'm so torn on this AJ, on the one hand I agree with you when I look at Mizzery and KU and what Pinkel and Mangino pulled off in their fifth year.

Then I remember what I saw on the field this year at CU with the lack of preparedness/execution (all the stuff we've :deadhorse:) and have a hard time beliving that can change.

Not sure if anyone here has inside "scoop" on fans' complaints at MU and KU, but I'd be interested to know if they had the same gripes we have right now.

10. mdelpizzo_1

mdelpizzo_1 My Dixie Wrecked Club Member

http://static.flickr.com/3158/2874647014_186c3f6b68.jpg

11. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

What does "turn around" mean? I think Hawkins HAS turned our program around...

12. Buttermaker

Buttermaker Active Member

Not scoop but I know some people close to the Missouri program that say Pinkel was gone if he didn't win the bowl game one year (South Carolina Independence Bowl I think).
    This second hand info from the Barnett interview but this timeline also coincides with something Barnett said about recruiting Jeremy Maclin. I guess he was close to coming to CU and Barnett told him to go to Missouri because it looked like he was going to be the next coach there.

13. L Buff

L Buff Commissar of the Albuffs Collective Left Club Member

And don't forget Zona stuck with Mike Stoops after four losing seasons. His 5th year they were much improved and this year he almost won the Pac 10 title.

14. AlferdJasper

15. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

That's not entirely true. Arizona went 6-6 in Stoops' 3rd season, 5-7 in his 4th season, and 8-5 in his 5th season.

16. mdelpizzo_1

damn safari wouldn't open the window to add the picture link so I pull an ahh f*ck it.

17. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

Rep worthy lunch box boy

18. AlferdJasper

That koolaid gets me every time. I'm feeling opdomystic already.

2010 is going to be better than 2009. Mark it.

19. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

way to go out on a limb :lol:

20. AlferdJasper

Yeah, all we got to win is four games and I'm right.

scary, isn't it?

21. mdelpizzo_1

Low hanging fruit.. That is like taking the 70 year old herion addicted rocker in a death pool

22. L Buff

L Buff Commissar of the Albuffs Collective Left Club Member

Yeah ... okay. But did UA go to a bowl game in that 6-6 season? I don't pretend to remember. But if they had (if they didn't) they might have lost that game in been in the same boat CU was in Hawk's second year ('07).

CU went to a bowl game in Hawk's second season and lost a tough game to an Alabama team that would compete for a national title the next season (after spotting them 24 points in the first half IIRC). That's the only reason Hawk had a "losing season" that year. During the REGULAR season he and CU went 6-6, beat OU at home and TT on the road. They should never have lost to ISU after being up 21-0 at the half ... but they did. The fact is that CU had a pretty decent season in Hawk's second year ... and could have an better one but for some bad coaching decisions and player mistakes.

The point is that M. Stoops was given a chance and has shown some excellent progress ... but it didn't really start to manifest until his 5th season. I'm not saying that Hawk will necessarily be able to take advantage of the "reprieve" he recently received ... but I hope he does ... and there is precedent for success that comes after giving a HC at least 5 years to install and run his program.

23. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

Hawk may have success in 2010....we all (I think) are pulling for him. The problem I have with the guy is his BS comments to the media, his lack of accountability for his horrible performance, his horrendous game decisions, and his apparent lack of respect for the tradition of the program. If he wins, then who cares about that stuff. I just doubt that he will, based on past performance.

I don't know anything about M Stoops, but I doubt that he followed Danny's path (as described above) in his first 4 years....