1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting 'Trick Play' - Is It Legal ?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by InTheBuff, Apr 15, 2008.

1. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96EWHY0zyWs&feature=related"]YouTube - Football Coach Pulls Off the Best Trick Play Ever[/ame]

2. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

I think its illegal now. You can't use any verbage to make the defense believe the ball is not about become live. aka, if they never said "hey coach, wrong ball" it would be a legal play.

3. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

I'm sorry, but **** that coach. It's youth football. Way to go hotshot you made yourself and your team look like a bunch of assholes. I hope it was fun.

4. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

:yeahthat:

5. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

I think it is illegal for a couple of reasons.

First, the center must snap the ball between his legs (this kid stood up and handed the ball to the QB over his shoulder).

Second, the center moved (stood-up) well before handing the ball to the QB - that would be a false start.

6. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

There is nothing illegal about a side snap. It just has to be a "must be quick and continuous backward motion."

7. 87toInfinity

87toInfinity Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to bet they were winning that game also. What a prick.

8. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

According to the 2003 Pop Warner Rule Book, rule S11.A provides: "The center must snap the ball between his legs."

Maybe the rule has changed since then (the 2007 version is password protected), but I kinda doubt it. then again, maybe this wasn't Pop Warner. Who knows. it was still a false start.

9. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Guest

I coach youth football and you would be suprised at how many pricks think that they missed their "NFL Calling" when it comes to coaching kids. The kids they coach take on the same "win at all costs" mentality. I love it when my kids beat those types of teams. Gives them a good reality check! :thumbsup:

10. buffalo30

buffalo30 Active Member

According to your reference to the rule for Pop Warner football, the center snap must be between the legs. This may not have been Pop Warner football.
    Otherwise I believe the center snap can be delivered in any fashion as long as the move is in one continuous motion.
    We had a trick play at CU with Coach Crowder whereby the line lined up on one side of the center, the backs lined up just behind the line except Cliff Branch just off to the other side, the center took a knee and tossed the ball directly to Branch and off he took, never to be caught from behind. If the diagram shows up, our play was similar to the diagram except the right tight end was up on the line and the right wide receiver (Branch) was behind the LOS as a back and took a direct snap. It is frequently called the swinging gate. This play has to be done quickly and on the surprise. The little league football coach is a jerk (or any profane name you wish to call him). You don't pull this stuff with kids.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  11. Miagi

Miagi New Member

Yeah, this clip is kinda old, its still funny though. I remember last fall Alfred Williams said on his radio show that he tried this same play after watching the video. He said his quarterback walked over doing the move where he pretends like he is talking to Alfred and then the other coach yelled: "Don't even try it Alfred, I saw that thing on youtube. Get him!!" and then his QB got clobbered. It was hilarious!

12. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

Any coach willing to pull this type of crap in a little league game should be cained.

13. BuffGuy91

BuffGuy91 Well-Known Member

CJ coaches the little league team in my neighborhood (Green Valley Giants). I haven't seen them play, but from what I hear, they are pretty damn good.

14. SCB

SCB Well-Known Member

Didn't sound like the QB "set" the offense.

15. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

The ref should have called some bogus penalty on the offense like, "holding, No 75. 10 yds. Repeat 2nd down!"