1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iowa St is completely fu**ed if the Big 12-2-1 collapses

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Bone Buff, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6970677/big-12-schools-face-economic-impact-shuffling

The highlight:

Yeah, if I had already spent 40 mil of money I was promised, I'd reserve my right to sue too.

2. HUFset

HUFset Well-Known Member

When those bond payments default, not only will Iowa St. be ****ed. Iowa the state will be ****ed.

3. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

I'd say that there's 100% chance someone's getting sued. I'd say the SEC is target #1.

4. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

For the sake of my dumb **** cousins who somehow feel the need to talk **** about my Buffs while they hoot & holler about how damn good ISU is after they beat Iowa......I honestly can't wait to have the final laugh when they're irrelevance is 100% set in stone

5. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

Even better the Buffs got out when they did without killing the conference. Let the lawsuits fly!

6. Alfred91

You know, in all honesty, I thought the whole lawsuit thing was really all about Baylor being Baylor, but if I'm Iowa State, I have to sue. I have no choice. Maybe A&M and the SEC think it's all bull****, but it seems to me that it's an economic necessity. Which of course then prompts the question - if Iowa State does go forward with some sort of litigation, does that mean the Pac-12 stops short of expansion? OU and the Pac-12 can't do anything until the A&M to SEC move goes forward, for fear of opening themselves up to the same thing.

7. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

No kidding right? That article makes me think there's no way the Texas A&M to the SEC this is going to get resolved in time for the 2012 season.

8. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

I can't even imagine how pissed Iowa St's own version of Sackman is right now.

9. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Still out of rep. Dammit!

10. GregInArlington

GregInArlington Well-Known Member

I got him. that was funny.

11. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Look, ISU has ALWAYS been completely ******.......

12. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Excellent argument, and one I expect the A&M lawyers to make when they are figuring out damages.

13. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Truth but I'd sue the hell out of the Big 12-10-9 or SEC because of this. ISU moving to the MWC will probably be best in the long run for them.

14. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Iowa State was dumb. You don't spend money you don't have or make commitments on a bond that is based on a situation you know is unstable.

15. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

Perfect for the MWC.

16. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Seriously. If those Cyclones had visited Allbuffs, they would have been well aware that the Big 12 would not last beyond 2013 at best. We reported that often.

17. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

Okay Kizla. Nah, as far as money goes it is is terrible, but they will get to win more and get a trip to Hawaii every so often.

18. Quattro

Money yes it's not good but they will be able to win consistently in the MWC, or they should be able to.

19. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

ISU knows that in the grand scheme of things they are in deep trouble. This may be the start of a strategy that says if you are going to leave us out of the big party we are going to make you pay for it. They may be shooting for some major dollars in a payout from future revenues of the schools headed to other conferences, likely spread out over a number of years. A&M and the Okie schools may be willing to do this since they will be getting bigger payouts per year in their new homes. A few million each to ISU (and KSU if they get left out) per year for a few years may be an acceptable price to pay in order to make the moves to new conference homes.

20. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

This will be allsome if they can prove in court it's all UT's fault! :thumbsup:

21. Alfred91

Do they want to go there? That sets a precedent that can cause real headaches. First ISU, then KState, possibly Baylor, then Tech... and what about what happens when the SEC and ACC (and Big Ten) get around to poaching the Big East and destabilizing it? Suddenly you've got schools back there that are getting their facilities paid for. Considering the SEC is on the legal hook right now, this could have a real chilling effect here.

22. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Nobody "wants" to go there. We are talking about millions of dollars in revenue that potentially may be funnelled from the schools that are moving to those that are left. On the other hand the schools that are left may have a pretty good legal argument that the schools leaving made a solid commitment and that by breaking the commitment they are costing the remaining schools millions of dollars in perpetuity and at a minimum for the length of the media contracts.

It may all turn into a big game of legal chicken. How much will the leaving schools pay to be able to move on without the very real fear of litigation resulting in huge judgements, how much will the remainding schools settle for to not pursue that litigation?

At the minimum I would think that ISU and Co. are going to get some figures thrown at them that will make people stand up and take notice, likely much higher than CU and NU paid to leave since CU and NU left a viable income stream behind them.

Eventually ISU and some others are going to be on the outside looking in. The question is how large will their "parting gift" be and based on the promises of a viable conference, the already signed media contracts, and the historic relations involved they will have enough of an argument to scare the other schools to the negotiating table.

In the end they will still end up in lower level conferences like the MWC or C-USA but they will have a big cash cushion to ease the blow.

23. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

:yeahthat: Or not, depending on what deals had been signed after CU and UNL left in order to keep the conference together. I seem to remember hearing something about the remaining schools agreeing to much more iron clad agreements that were supposed to keep anybody else from leaving. If those got signed, and ISU thought they were guaranteed either the 10 team Big XII they were promised or cash from the departing teams if it didn't hold together, I won't blame them too much. I also won't blame them for suing to enforce those rights...

24. Alfred91

I was thinking about that today. Somehow, someway, they're going to get this stuff paid for, and if/when they drop down, they should have a considerable facilities advantage over their MWC or C-USA compatriots. Of course, they'll still be recruiting to Ames, so it'll still be a struggle.

25. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

WAIT......

ISU signed a deal with ESPN..... ESPN is a very stable entity. ISU will get paid.... They have to. They may settle, but their improvements will get paid for.

26. PhillyBuff

Fing FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!

27. buffwoman526

buffwoman526 Club Member Club Member

I feel bad for ISU in all of this realignment crap. This thread makes me feel even worse for them. ISU stands to seriously get ****ed. So does Baylor, but I'm happy with that fact.

28. Quattro

This although moving to the MWC may be the best for them in long term.

29. PhillyBuff

No.... Best for them would be to create the Cyclone Network and have ESPN make them a $400 million dollar deal over a 10 year period.....

I think that is the best for them in the long term....

30. Alfred91

The worst thing that has to be happening to them is Iowa fan sitting over there in Iowa City laughing his ass off at lil brother while they're cashing checks from the Big Ten Network.

Just think what we'd be doing to CSU if the MWC was an AQ conference and it was falling apart. Sure, CSU fan deserves it, but we'd be brutal.