What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Irony: "we need someone in the family" + "need coach mac"

Darth Snow

Hawaiian Buffalo
Club Member
Junta Member
I do not get the logic here. The most successful coach in the history of CU football had zero ties to CU before coming here. Why must we stay in the family?

I do not get the logic here. The most successful coach in the history of CU football had zero ties to CU before coming here. Why must we stay in the family?

exactly, we don't. the sentiment seems if we get the band back together we will automatically return to glory days. this is not a sentiment that i am necessarily buying into. if eb or mac are the choice i am ok with that, i just don't think we have to stay in the family.

we don't have to, however the last guy was a major failure and he was out of 'the family'-

kind of like politics.. when the Republican fails the Dem usually gets the next vote and then
when the Dem fails the Republican tends to get back in office-

The most successful coach in CU football history was defensive coordinator for Michigan at the time of his hiring.

If CU can find another big time BCS coordinator to take the CU job, I doubt many people will be bringing up the "family" issue.

i think that there is a strong sentiment at CU that you need someone who "understands" the unique issues at CU. look at gb's comments to the bc. look at what bohn said. look at what distefano said. all said we have champagne taste and beer budget. all said that fan expectations exceed their financial support.

i think they are going to end up landing on a miles, Mac, or eb, just because of this reason.

i think that there is a strong sentiment at CU that you need someone who "understands" the unique issues at CU. look at gb's comments to the bc. look at what bohn said. look at what distefano said. all said we have champagne taste and beer budget. all said that fan expectations exceed their financial support.

i think they are going to end up landing on a miles, Mac, or eb, just because of this reason.

You are still holding on to that Lester Miles thing... aren't ya?

epitaph.JPG

You are still holding on to that Lester Miles thing... aren't ya?

epitaph.JPG

yeah, i know it is a pipe dream, but i still have a tiny bit of hope. i can squint at it and convince myself there is a small tiny chance.

i agree that we need somebody that understands the situation. les miles isn't coming here, barnett said that on the radio the other day as well, that he recently had been with miles and that he wasn't coming.

+1. I think there is something to be said for continuinty -- Michigan has only hired "Michigan Men" and is the winningest program all-time. Until it went "outside of the family" and hired RichRod and that hasn't worked out.

I'm not saying that you must always stay in the family, but it oftentimes can help in bringing someone on board that understands the unique issues, politics, pride and tradition of a program. At least it's worked for Michigan.

we don't have to, however the last guy was a major failure and he was out of 'the family'-

kind of like politics.. when the Republican fails the Dem usually gets the next vote and then
when the Dem fails the Republican tends to get back in office-

Except college football coaching isn't a two-party system...

The most successful coach in CU football history was defensive coordinator for Michigan at the time of his hiring.

If CU can find another big time BCS coordinator to take the CU job, I doubt many people will be bringing up the "family" issue.

SPOT ON!!!! We need a coordinator from a successful BCS program.

+1. I think there is something to be said for continuinty -- Michigan has only hired "Michigan Men" and is the winningest program all-time. Until it went "outside of the family" and hired RichRod and that hasn't worked out.

I'm not saying that you must always stay in the family, but it oftentimes can help in bringing someone on board that understands the unique issues, politics, pride and tradition of a program. At least it's worked for Michigan.

I think it's a mistake to limit your search with arbitrary constraints. In the family, out of the family, I really don't care. Contrary to what Barnett and Bohn have said, there are no issues which are "unique" to CU. There are other schools which have high academics standards and trouble raising funds. Regardless, I hope the AD and fans will remain open to any possibility.

The example I like is Mike Tomlin of the Steelers (yes, NFL, not college, I get it). He was not a "Steeler" guy and didn't even necessarily have the experience you'd want to see in a new HC. The Rooney's interviewed him with an open mind and were blown away by what he had to say. I don't think anyone would say that's been a bad hire.

I'm also not sure it's possibly to have something like continuity at CU. Like it or not, we don't have the kind of tradition that Michigan has. It's been 16 years since Mac left and he was not a CU guy when he was hired. You could say there was continuity from Mac to Neu to GB if you want but I don't think that worked out perfectly either.

I'll let the process go forward and I hope the AD doesn't have somebody pegged for the job yet. I'd like to see a real search.

i think it's a mistake to limit your search with arbitrary constraints. In the family, out of the family, i really don't care. Contrary to what barnett and bohn have said, there are no issues which are "unique" to cu. There are other schools which have high academics standards and trouble raising funds. Regardless, i hope the ad and fans will remain open to any possibility.

The example i like is mike tomlin of the steelers (yes, nfl, not college, i get it). He was not a "steeler" guy and didn't even necessarily have the experience you'd want to see in a new hc. The rooney's interviewed him with an open mind and were blown away by what he had to say. I don't think anyone would say that's been a bad hire.

I'm also not sure it's possibly to have something like continuity at cu. Like it or not, we don't have the kind of tradition that michigan has. It's been 16 years since mac left and he was not a cu guy when he was hired. You could say there was continuity from mac to neu to gb if you want but i don't think that worked out perfectly either.

I'll let the process go forward and i hope the ad doesn't have somebody pegged for the job yet. I'd like to see a real search.

rep!

well said NW. I totally agree, but I'm not sure that Bohn will allow himself to be wowed at an interview unless it's a candidate that he already has his heart set on. And if it's true that Bohn does send out trial balloons to get fan reaction, that also doesn't bode well for even giving the guy a chance to wow Bohn in an interview but otherwise has an "average" resume or doesn't bring a lot of Internet wow factor.

You could say there was continuity from Mac to Neu to GB if you want but I don't think that worked out perfectly either.

I have to say, though, that Mac-Neu-GB worked out a lot better than Hawkins.

Look, I don't think we're really disagreeing with each other here -- I think that a real search should take place. My point is that I think there are some advantages going with someone that understands the politics, the fundraising climate, and the tradition at CU. It may not be a large enough advantage to get someone hired, but I do think it can be an advantage.

I think it's a mistake to limit your search with arbitrary constraints. In the family, out of the family, I really don't care. Contrary to what Barnett and Bohn have said, there are no issues which are "unique" to CU. There are other schools which have high academics standards and trouble raising funds. Regardless, I hope the AD and fans will remain open to any possibility.

The example I like is Mike Tomlin of the Steelers (yes, NFL, not college, I get it). He was not a "Steeler" guy and didn't even necessarily have the experience you'd want to see in a new HC. The Rooney's interviewed him with an open mind and were blown away by what he had to say. I don't think anyone would say that's been a bad hire.

I'm also not sure it's possibly to have something like continuity at CU. Like it or not, we don't have the kind of tradition that Michigan has. It's been 16 years since Mac left and he was not a CU guy when he was hired. You could say there was continuity from Mac to Neu to GB if you want but I don't think that worked out perfectly either.

I'll let the process go forward and I hope the AD doesn't have somebody pegged for the job yet. I'd like to see a real search.

very well put....REP delivered!

IMO, if we know that there are hurdles to success at CU (whatever those are - fundraising, politics, high academic standards, ...) I'm a bit confused as to why that isn't just made extremely clear by Bohn and the gang when interviewing or talking to prospective hires. And when it comes time to really interview them, go through all the nitty gritty details, spell out what we're doing to fix some issues, what issues can be worked around, and what issues the coach will have to deal with. Make sure he's on board & understands that and figure out how we/he plans to deal with it.

How would you evaluate Mac if he had never coached at CU but had the equivalent success at a different school.

Recruiting - Grade A - This was his strong point when he was coach. Everyone on his staff had to be able to recruit.
Leadership - Grade A - You get this from almost everyone who has ever worked with him or been coached by him.
Media Relations - Grade A - A great speaker (and this is something he has done for years since he left CU) and has great charisma
Football Knowledge - Grade A - He coached at a high level for many years - you do not forget it overnight.
Ability to assemble a staff - Grade A - He always had great staffs.
Ability to Motivate - Grade A. He was a great motivator for both his staff and players.

Energy(Age) - Grade B - At 70 you are not what you were at 50 but talking to and seeing Mac he still seems to be able to get fired up. There are older coaches out there.
Acceptability in Boulder - Grade C - there is a strong faction in Boulder that does not care for his right-wing position on several issues.
Acceptability in Metro Denver - Grade A - Lot of love and respect for Mac.

I have tried to come up with more negatives - the biggest question is can he recapture past glory....

That he is very familiar with CU and the area is a plus that others do not have. Plus his love and dedication for the program is unquestionable.

I have concerns with hiring Mac but I have a lot more concerns with some other candidates.

No arguments, I think Mac grades out extremely well. The biggest general concern in my mind would be the time away from coaching football and how long he would coach for. I know he's great at 70 and JoePA is 83(?) but it's still an issue that is out there. The crap about his personal convictions and beliefs is a non issue to me.

How would you evaluate Mac if he had never coached at CU but had the equivalent success at a different school.

Recruiting - Grade A - This was his strong point when he was coach. Everyone on his staff had to be able to recruit.
Leadership - Grade A - You get this from almost everyone who has ever worked with him or been coached by him.
Media Relations - Grade A - A great speaker (and this is something he has done for years since he left CU) and has great charisma
Football Knowledge - Grade A - He coached at a high level for many years - you do not forget it overnight.
Ability to Motivate - Grade A. He was a great motivator for both his staff and players.

Energy(Age) - Grade B - At 70 you are not what you were at 50 but talking to and seeing Mac he still seems to be able to get fired up. There are older coaches out there.
Acceptability in Boulder - Grade C - there is a strong faction in Boulder that does not care for his right-wing position on several issues.

I have tried to come up with more negatives - the biggest question is can he recapture past glory....

That he is very familiar with CU and the area is a plus that others do not have. Plus his love and dedication for the program is unquestionable.

I have concerns with hiring Mac but I have a lot more concerns with some other candidates.

When "young" Mac was hired, "old" Mac was not an option.

If it is true that Benson doesn't want any scandals from the athletic department, that might be a strike against McCartney. He was pretty outspoken on some of his religious views. (His "homosexuals are an abomination against God" rings a bell, there.)

Still - I think he is the very best candidate for COLORADO at this time.

I am losing hope that they will get Mac back as HC, but I can still pray for it to happen.:smile2:

Of all the uncertainy in the choices presented, to me, the one with the least amount of downside is Mac. Unfortunately, Bohn would not get the recognition for 'finding' Mac, so I don't think he will hire him. Bohn is probably more aware of his past history with hiring coaches, and I think he wants to make a home run hire that will get his name associated with finding the next big deal. Trying to manage a proven winner, or roll the dice on finding the next new hot coach? I think Bohn will roll the dice. If he loses he is out, but if he hires Mac and Mac repeats his success, how much credit does Bohn really get for helping that happen? Not much.

I am losing hope that they will get Mac back as HC, but I can still pray for it to happen.:smile2:

Of all the uncertainy in the choices presented, to me, the one with the least amount of downside is Mac. Unfortunately, Bohn would not get the recognition for 'finding' Mac, so I don't think he will hire him. Bohn is probably more aware of his past history with hiring coaches, and I think he wants to make a home run hire that will get his name associated with finding the next big deal. Trying to manage a proven winner, or roll the dice on finding the next new hot coach? I think Bohn will roll the dice. If he loses he is out, but if he hires Mac and Mac repeats his success, how much credit does Bohn really get for helping that happen? Not much.

i actually think the issue is slightly different. if bohn does hire Mac, Mac instantly becomes the 10,000 gorilla in the CUAD, whether bohn likes it or not. that's a tough thing to sign up for if you are the ad. Mac will need to be very careful about acknowledging lines of authority and such.

i am not that stoked about belloti-- i think he is a damned fine coach, but i wonder if he will understand what he is getting himself into here--- this isn't oregon where they just flip the cash switch whenever they need to upgrade something.

at least Mac, miles, or EB would understand the landscape. i am not saying "keep it in the family" but i do think some of the decision-makers are factoring "the uniqueness that is CU" into their hiring process.

^^^^this

Yeah, he's old and he's not a 'Boulder guy' whatever the **** that means. Everything else on his resume shines like CU helmets on a Boulder afternoon.

^^^^this

Yeah, he's old and he's not a 'Boulder guy' whatever the **** that means. Everything else on his resume shines like CU helmets on a Boulder afternoon.

<Mick Ronson>The classic gold helmets, or the newer, greener USF helmets?<TimBuff>

The crap about his personal convictions and beliefs is a non issue to me.

Have to wholeheartedly disagree.

Whatever your personal feelings are Mac, if he chooses to use his position as a pulpit for voicing his personal beliefs, will become a divisive figure. Just look at Allbuffs. People of all political, religious, social stripes. The ONE thing that brings us ALL together is CU football. If you start talking about homosexuality, Christ as your personal savior, Obama etc., etc. we go our separate and stubborn ways pretty damn fast.

That would not be a good thing. CU needs every booster, fan, entertainment dollar, 5-star recruit it can get.

<Mick Ronson>The classic gold helmets, or the newer, greener USF helmets?<TimBuff>

The not quite notre dumb gold from back in the day. I can't really tell the difference watching on TV, but in person on a sunny day the new gold bugs me. Reminds me of cheap hubcaps or cheesy metallic gold hotwheels cars or something. Kind of funny, because it's probably closer to the color of 'real' gold than the old helmets.

Back