What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is anybody worried about csu?

Nah, not this year.

- Even with the Buffs new, evolving offense.

- Even considering the "unprovens" at DE and CB.

- Even when thinking about 3 new starters on the O-line.

Nah, Buffs by 3 td's.

Their best offensive weapon, TE Sperry, is not eligible to play against us this year. He has already played the buffs 4 times and then blew his knee out and got a medical redshirt last year after our game. By NCAA rule he cannot play us a 5th time. :thumbsup:

I don't know how or why this myth keeps getting brought up, but it's just that - a myth. He is eligible to play against CU and probably will, barring another injury.

Gartelle Johnson is pretty good and i know we have Hypo and Nicolas but we need to contain him from running outside the tackles. If we can do that and successfully stop the run, CSewe is hopeless with Farris. We'll win tho:thumbsup:

Gartelle Johnson is pretty good and i know we have Hypo and Nicolas but we need to contain him from running outside the tackles. If we can do that and successfully stop the run, CSewe is hopeless with Farris. We'll win tho:thumbsup:

I heard from a guy who knows his 2nd cousin that once he gets out of the hospital from donating a kidney to a 10-year old girl that he'll be pretty good.

Oh, you mean Farris, not Ferris. My bad. Carry on.

Their best offensive weapon, TE Sperry, is not eligible to play against us this year. He has already played the buffs 4 times and then blew his knee out and got a medical redshirt last year after our game. By NCAA rule he cannot play us a 5th time. :thumbsup:

Im pretty sure he is playing. I thought the same thing as you, but I heard he can play for some reason.

all indicators point to a double digit win, but I worry about our players coming in overconfident, and theirs coming in as though they have something to prove; because they do.

this will give us a clear view into Hawkin's ability to get a team fired up to win a game they should certainly win.

CSU always plays this game tough. I expect that same level of intensity from them this year too. :cool:

all indicators point to a double digit win, but I worry about our players coming in overconfident, and theirs coming in as though they have something to prove; because they do.

this will give us a clear view into Hawkin's ability to get a team fired up to win a game they should certainly win.

CSU always plays this game tough. I expect that same level of intensity from them this year too. :cool:

I expect that level of intensity until we build a 20+ point lead, and then their wheels will fall off. The first half will be important.

I honestly expect long, grinding drives capped with TDs. Their defense does not match up well with our offense IMO

While I hope the arrogance from Buff nation is valid, I am worried... Look at the last 6 games, 2002: CSU 19-14, 2003: CU 42-35, 2004: 27-24, 2005: 31-28, 2006: CSU 14-10, 2007: CU 31-28OT. No matter how good or bad the game is, it is the super bowl for CSU and they always play out of their ass. It's always a close game! While I hope the belief that we are going to destroy them, ultimately comes true, I have my doubts...

you guys are silly, we lost in 06 and 07 went down to the wire. The buffs will not sleep for for this game. Hawk knows what has to be done.

not worried about this one at all...

the Buffs are going to roll them. with CU running the no-huddle and with the sheep having no depth at all on defense, it is going to be really ugly.

the sheep secondary is a mess. their line and lbs are undersized. they are playing a new scheme with a new staff.

doom.

the only way this thing is close is if CU shoots itself repeatedly in the foot and can't play any defense at all.

i don't know if our Buffs will look as polished as we'd like, but they are going to break the sheep into tiny little fluffy balls of fur.

This should be the year that a true ass kicking comes to Rammies. I also expect Hawk to not run it up to bad on them. But Ram fans will whine it up on how CU is a classless school and that they showed no class by running score up.

I was not worried till I read how confident that everyone is. For some reason now I am a little worried. Good news is that we have CSU then EWU, so you know the guys aren't looking past CSU. I am worried because you never know what you are going to get in first games.

I hadn't thought about it but MBB made a good point. We will be running a hurry up offense and their D will be running a new scheme for the first time. That's a horrible combination for the lammies. This game is going to come hard and fast at the lammies and I expect there will be several break downs in the D because they don't know what to do or don't have enough time to adjust (or both) which will result in a bunch big plays for the buffs. Broken coverages, wide open receivers in the end zone, RB's blasting through holes in the line and not hitting a lammie until the SS, TE's running free and uncovered down field. These are the mistakes new D's make, doubly so in a no huddle game. Gonna be a tough day for the lammie D.

It'll be great for Ballenger to get a bunch of game reps.

I'm more worried about Eastern Washington. They hung with Appalachian State 38-35 in last year's playoffs after beating 2nd-seeded McNeese State 44-15. Their (now) sophomore QB threw for 3744 yards, they averaged 462 yards/game, and his favorite target is back. They have 4 All-Americans in the Championship Division. Yeah, the competition is light, but they can throw the ball and so far, that's our weak spot. Plus, I still have the nightmares...

The way I see it:

Even Turnovers: CU by 14
CSU +2 in turnovers: CU by 3
CSU +3 in turnovers: they probably win
CU + in turnovers: turn out the lights. Game Over!

The way I see it:

Even Turnovers: CU by 14
CSU +2 in turnovers: CU by 3
CSU +3 in turnovers: they probably win
CU + in turnovers: turn out the lights. Game Over!

meh - turnovers margin is important, but breaking it down like that isn't appropriate, IMO. It's the timing of the turnovers that's a killer. Like fumbling the ball going into the endzone against Kansas. Turnover on downs at your own 40 yard line on the road at Iowa State. Throwing the first pass of the game, deep in your own territory, to the Alabama defense hurts. Conversely, intercepting a ball at the 40 and returning it for a TD when your team is down by 11 to *ebraska is a big momentum changer.

meh - turnovers margin is important, but breaking it down like that isn't appropriate, IMO. It's the timing of the turnovers that's a killer. Like fumbling the ball going into the endzone against Kansas. Turnover on downs at your own 40 yard line on the road at Iowa State. Throwing the first pass of the game, deep in your own territory, to the Alabama defense hurts. Conversely, intercepting a ball at the 40 and returning it for a TD when your team is down by 11 to *ebraska is a big momentum changer.

Passing on third and goal when you need a FG to win and to later find out that that 1 pass was the difference between playing for a national championship hurts.

Passing on third and goal when you need a FG to win and to later find out that that 1 pass was the difference between playing for a national championship hurts.

Ehh... there's no way to know how winning that game would have changed the rest of our season that year. I'll take 2001 as it happened and be quite content with it, thank you very much :thumbsup:

First off....comparing CSU is to a D1AA football squad at this point may not be two far off for this rebuilding Ram team. But remember, CSU hasn't lost to a D1AA school for nearly two decades...I guess you guys are experts on this subject. So I guess that puts us almost in the same boat. Lets face it, neither team has done $#!^ for the past few seasons to put us head and shoulders above the Montana States of collegiate football, and neither program has had a winning season for a while. So lets keep it in perspective...if you don't believe me look no further than last year...I don't know which game you guys were watching, but it wasn't LSU vs Tulane...I bring that up because I live in Louisiana, and that is a lopsided in state "rivalry"...LSU plays the game because it's an easy win and can play a "home game" on the road....they prove it EVERTIME they play them.

Now lets look at CSU/CU. Until the mighty Buffs prove they don't belong on the field with the CSU's of the college football world, I would think there would be some form of evidence of that notion...sorry winning by 3 points doesn't suffice.

Pay attention to my next post here...because I am going to break it down for you all...as to why CU should win...and what to expect from CSU.

Ehh... there's no way to know how winning that game would have changed the rest of our season that year. I'll take 2001 as it happened and be quite content with it, thank you very much :thumbsup:

we were a point from being in the title game. Had we ran and then kicked the FG, we would have had enough points to be in the rose bowl.

Now lets look at CSU/CU. Until the mighty Buffs prove they don't belong on the field with the CSU's of the college football world, I would think there would be some form of evidence of that notion...sorry winning by 3 points doesn't suffice.

Pay attention to my next post here...because I am going to break it down for you all...as to why CU should win...and what to expect from CSU.

Yes, it was a close one, between two somewhat disappointing teams last year (though one considerably more than the other).
However, it's another W. How many "Dubs" is gonna take before you're willing to admit that it's an uneven match? I'm asking, seriously. Just tell us what it's gonna take for you to let the "parity" and "rivalry" arguments go. Ten in a row? It's going to be a while, but it'll at least allow us to know what we're up against.

And please frame your answers in terms of "wins" and "losses" and not points. That means nothing to me.

I believe that football teams experience cycles, and CSU definitely enjoyed an "up" cycle in the late 90s. And fortunately for CSU, it coincided with the beginning of a "down" cycle at CU. And CSU will certainly have more ups and CU more downs. But if you look at the history of the series, the "cycles" don't exactly favor CSU over time. That's fine--you don't need my permission--but you obviously have every right to root passionately for your team, and you shouldn't have to be embarrassed or discouraged by being on the wrong side of a win/loss record. But I don't get where you get your sense of empowerment to to tell this fanbase "what's up" regarding our teams and this series.

When you guys had won, something like four out of the last six early in the decade, I could see it. But now? Look at the big picture, sunshine.

Seriously, what's it going to take? We just need a measuring stick so we know what to aim for. When will you let it go?

Finally, I'm awaiting your breakdown at rapt attention.

EDIT: And I think, in this place and time, it's perfectly appropriate to compare CSU to a AA program. After all, the last time CSU beat CU, an AA program did too. So you met that standard...congrats.

Look, if I'm wrong, and if CU doesn't beat CSU this season, I'll come back and, in a post addressed to you, declare myself to be an Asshole.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think CU has a better chance of simply controlling the clock, if CU can run the football effectively they will win the game. I see CU not using the no-huddle the whole game. And in fact this may cause some mistakes on offense given the new rules (which I hate) regarding the play clock. If CU chews up clock then the CSU defense which has little depth gets tired.

CSU's strength on offense is the line. If CSU is the team controlling the clock and keeping it out of the hands of CU then CSU has a chance...but he Rams need to be able to pass. If CU gets to the QB then forget about the Rams chewing the clock....getting into 2 and long will make it impossibe for CSU to stick with CU.

Overall CSU will improve at both the O-line and D-line (despite what you are hearing from the media). The D-line overall will be bigger and have more guys that can be rotated. However there are too many questions on defense...and I think once we need to put in 2 and 3's the game is over.

both teams are inexpereinced...CU has more talent and play makers, but depth will eventually win the game. Don't expect a D1-AA caliber team though. CSU will be ready to play, and there will be some improvements on D. Coaching overall will be improved. CSU will play 4 quarters, but start getting beat late in the 3rd or 4th...but it won't be a cakewalk for the buffs.

I think CU has a better chance of simply controlling the clock, if CU can run the football effectively they will win the game. I see CU not using the no-huddle the whole game. And in fact this may cause some mistakes on offense given the new rules (which I hate) regarding the play clock. If CU chews up clock then the CSU defense which has little depth gets tired.

CSU's strength on offense is the line. If CSU is the team controlling the clock and keeping it out of the hands of CU then CSU has a chance...but he Rams need to be able to pass. If CU gets to the QB then forget about the Rams chewing the clock....getting into 2 and long will make it impossibe for CSU to stick with CU.

Overall CSU will improve at both the O-line and D-line (despite what you are hearing from the media). The D-line overall will be bigger and have more guys that can be rotated. However there are too many questions on defense...and I think once we need to put in 2 and 3's the game is over.

both teams are inexpereinced...CU has more talent and play makers, but depth will eventually win the game. Don't expect a D1-AA caliber team though. CSU will be ready to play, and there will be some improvements on D. Coaching overall will be improved. CSU will play 4 quarters, but start getting beat late in the 3rd or 4th...but it won't be a cakewalk for the buffs.

Thanks for the input. I guess after the buildup, I was expecting something a little more...erm...insightful.

I agree CSU will show improvement on the O-line. With some solid backs you should be able to move the ball...in spurts. I think your strength will match up against our strengh (run D), however. In the long run, I strongly suspect that CSU lacks the balance to execute a multi-dimensional offense and will suffer greatly for it. I believe that CU will move the ball with a little more consistency (based once again on balance of offensive capabilities).

I appreciate the optimism though. It reminds me of something or someone. I know! You sound just like I did right before CU's 06 season. Brings a tear to my eye.

Good luck with everything.

You made one glaring omission. CSU is breaking in brand new systems on both sides of the ball, CU isn't. When game time hits with the crowd, lights, and speed of the game, there are going to be some mistakes, and split second hesitations that will probably cost CSU.

You made one glaring omission. CSU is breaking in brand new systems on both sides of the ball, CU isn't. When game time hits with the crowd, lights, and speed of the game, there are going to be some mistakes, and split second hesitations that will probably cost CSU.

Maybe you're right. I expect mistakes. But I see mistakes out of CU also. A lot of inexperienced players starting also. First game, no hudle offfense, no time to set up (it will be A LOT different with this new rule, it is going to take a game to get used to) and some big mistakes for both teams. However probably more for CSU.

Honestly I think this new system is going to be a MAJOR improvement over what we had...and there will be new looks for the CU D to adjust to. weather or not we will be ready in game-one is left to be seen. Even though there is going to be a learning curve for CSU on the O-side, for the most part this system much better and will be a major improvement in my opinion.

Like I said...no doubt CU should win this game....most CSU fans are expecting that. however I expect to see a lot of mistakes from both teams...and CSU will be in the game...don't expect a blow-out.

I think CSU will win going away - Farris is a top-tier QB...

[hide] who the :censored: am I trying to kid; CU by 3 TDs! :gobuffs:[/hide]

Back