What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is Connor Wood our Saviour after all?

Wood did not look good last spring.
He was, by most accounts, much better than the other guys on the team. True, he wasn't blowing any doors off, but the general consensus was that he'd be a serviceable QB. Maybe that's your point, just stated differently.

Aren't we all just kind of holding our breath and hoping for the best as relates to Connor? We all want him to succeed, but I don't think anyone is all in yet.

He was, by most accounts, much better than the other guys on the team. True, he wasn't blowing any doors off, but the general consensus was that he'd be a serviceable QB. Maybe that's your point, just stated differently.

I am trying to put this into context. Are you referring to last spring? Last spring only Shrock, Dorman, and Wood were getting snaps - Hirschman was injured and Dillon and Webb were not on the team. With that level of competition Wood did look better than Shrock (but not by much) but overall was disappointing because of inconsistency. He tended to lose his cool and throw late over the middle. That is why I believe Webb was invited to join the team.

I think Wood has some talent but needs to master the being "cool under pressure" part of the QB job which is not easy.

To say the he is the same guy as last year suggests that he hasn't improved at all which isn't true, or from what we can tell thus far.

What I mean is that he is more than likely playing better because of this coaching staff and how they are scheming the offense and developing him as a player. From the limited amount I saw him last year I did not see any improvement with the previous regime.

That may have been the public spin, but there is a reason that Embree did not waste any time in reaching out to Jordan Webb. Embree had no confidence in any of the QBs and frankly none game him much reason to have confidence. There were very real concerns about Wood as the spring wore on.

That may have been the public spin, but there is a reason that Embree did not waste any time in reaching out to Jordan Webb. Embree had no confidence in any of the QBs and frankly none game him much reason to have confidence. There were very real concerns about Wood as the spring wore on.

I think you are absolutely right, going into last season with Wood as the starter probably would have been a far worse disaster that what we had (if that is possible.)

My only question, and we will never know the answer is how much of the problem was Wood and how much was Embry/EB. It would be easier to blame it all on Wood if we hadn't had so many other players, QB and otherwise who had seriously dissapointing years.

^^^^ If Wood is the guy and does well, we will have some indication that Embree and company were the main reason for last year's debacle. Webb and the rest of the Buffs might be exonerated somewhat too, if that happens. Color me hopeful.

^^^^ If Wood is the guy and does well, we will have some indication that Embree and company were the main reason for last year's debacle. Webb and the rest of the Buffs might be exonerated somewhat too, if that happens. Color me hopeful.

And what if the Buffs go 1-11 does that Vindicate Embree? You cannot compare situations and it does not good to try to keep dragging Embree and his staff through the mud (nor Hawkins for that matter).

If Wood is great this year then good for him, but you can only blame the coaching so much. No one coached him to get rattled under pressure, it is something he will have to overcome.

Back