What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is Derrick White the PG?

BuffG

Before you answer listen to Tad talking with Adam Munsterteiger (thanks Adam!)
Tad's comments on White begin at the 2:20 mark.

- scores from everywhere
- great passer "makes plays for his teammates just like he can make plays for himself"
- "knows the game"
- "when he has the ball or you're running a play, you feel really comfortable as a coach when the ball is in his hands...he doesn't make a lot of bad decisions"
- athletic, good shot blocker for 6'5

By those comments, I don't see how anyone else on the roster can be a better PG this year.

Before you answer listen to Tad talking with Adam Munsterteiger (thanks Adam!)
Tad's comments on White begin at the 2:20 mark.

- scores from everywhere
- great passer "makes plays for his teammates just like he can make plays for himself"
- "knows the game"
- "when he has the ball or you're running a play, you feel really comfortable as a coach when the ball is in his hands...he doesn't make a lot of bad decisions"
- athletic, good shot blocker for 6'5

By those comments, I don't see how anyone else on the roster can be a better PG this year.

I thought the same thing when I heard that. I'm sure he'll see plenty of time there and we'll be in better shape when Dom's off or in foul trouble.

Positionless basketball for the win. Multiple players who are capable of multiple things, including handling the ball.

This, Tad's dream is five guys who can all do a variety of things and take advantage of the weaknesses of the guys they face, both on on offense and defense.

In crunch time, we're going to see White running the show. For the first 35 minutes of the game, I imagine he'll be off the ball.

Will be interesting. I could see a "crunch time" lineup of White-Fortune-King-XJ-Wes due to the firepower, size & ability to switch on defense. It's totally a question of ball handling against pressure defense, though.

For those of you who have seen White in practices... Observations please? I have not had the opportunity to see him play at any level or even see video of him. While I respect and enjoyed Tad's evaluation of him, I would like to hear what loyal supporters and fans have seen from White so far?

For those of you who have seen White in practices... Observations please? I have not had the opportunity to see him play at any level or even see video of him. While I respect and enjoyed Tad's evaluation of him, I would like to hear what loyal supporters and fans have seen from White so far?
Well in high school and gold crown basketball he destroyed me.

Well in high school and gold crown basketball he destroyed me.
giphy.gif

In an interview, Tad said something to the effect of "Dom has gotten stronger but he needs to be more vocal." Is that any sort of a hint or is it a motivational tool?

The hype on White reminds me of the hype Roby got before his freshman year. Seemed ike everyone who saw him in practice(including Chauncey) were predicting good to great things.

Boyle from the recent article: "We have depth. Derrick White is someone we can throw in at point guard if we need to."

I interpret that as "it's Dom & Yaz at PG but, if they continue turning it over then it's White."

There's more YouTube of White than most high school recruits. Just look up "derrick white uccs" or "uccs basketball." It's not glitzy ballislife type highlights but you get to see his strengths & weaknesses if you have the time.

Just think of D.White as the Mayor 2.0. Not necessarily new and improved (after all there isn't a stache), but he will be used in much the same ways.

From his cubuffs.com bio:
Second nationally in points per game (25.8 ppg), third in field goals made (265), and 12th in blocked shots (68). He set the RMAC single-season assists record (171). White recorded 12 doubles, three of them points-assists. His 244 rebounds rank fifth in school history.

Cough, cough...RMAC....cough.

Metro state is like the UCONN of D2 hoops & UCCS was like Grambling St. before White. He put up 37/10/5 on Metro in the RMAC title game in '15 & then 50 pts on Mines in the NCAA tourney. Mines has been a top 25ish D2 program recently.

Metro state is like the UCONN of D2 hoops & UCCS was like Grambling St. before White. He put up 37/10/5 on Metro in the RMAC title game in '15 & then 50 pts on Mines in the NCAA tourney. Mines has been a top 25ish D2 program recently.
Cough, cough....D2....cough.

DBT is correct all those numbers came at the D2 level.
High expectations for all the Pac12 newcomers.
Ball - HS
Fultz - HS
Bigby Williams - Juco
Leaf - HS

Who heard of Lorenzo Bonham before he made layup at Coors last year (Juco)?

Only 2 weeks and then everything is settled on the court.
Going to be exciting. Good time to be a Buff Fan.

It is D2, but many have made that leap to the NBA. Guys don't put up 50 points at any level very often and also set a conference season assist record. That's amazing to me. This kid is going to be VERY good. We will have no problems scoring and our success will be limited only by our willingness to play defense and have Gordon stay healthy.

I played at UCCS back in the 90's way before he was there.
That being said, I watched a lot of his games when he played here. He is AMAZING!

doens't matter that it's D2, his talent level was and always has been D1.
He can score every way possible, and he he ran point a lot at UCCS. He is a TRUE 6'5", not hyped. He jumps way out of the gym and
has DEEP range on his jumper. His ball handling is a solid A, and he's capable of going left or right. His vision is his best aspect
of his game. He is the real deal, people.

He should start on Cu's squad and get a LOT of votes for pac12 Player of the Year...I'm dead serious. Expect great things.

oh, and I didn't mention his Defense.
He's LONG, and quick...shutdown type defender.

Not one weakness in his game.

oh, and I didn't mention his Defense.
He's LONG, and quick...shutdown type defender.

Not one weakness in his game.

The main weakness that I see is he isn't an explosive athlete, certainly not at the level of top D1 athletes. All players have weaknesses.

Back