What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is Highway 36 still under construction?

I drove from Boulder to DIA and back every day (sometimes twice a day) this summer. I took Tower road north to 88th which turns into 96th and then went west on I 76 to 36. It never took me more than an hour even in the worst traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys, please refer back to the OP.

Plane is scheduled to land at 10:45.

Got to figure that it's 45 minutes before he has the rental car and is hitting the road (assuming no checked bags).

So if everything goes well, he's leaving the rental lot at 11:30. More likely, it will be 12:00.

Then, normal traffic would be 40 minutes to get onto campus from there. Between the higher traffic, getting parked on a game day, walking to the stadium, getting through security and taking his seat... let's just say that he doesn't have an extra 15 minutes to enjoy the scenic route.

Like I originally posted, I'd go with E-470, jump on 36W in Broomfield, and turn into campus on Colorado. That is your best bet of making it in without being stressed the whole way. Might even get to have a beer or two at the Garden and see Ralphie run if you're flight's on time and your rental company is efficient.

36 is a mess. I'd recommend taking e-470 from the airport. It becomes the Northwest Parkway after you cross I-25. Then take that til it hits 36w. You'll bypass quite a lot of traffic. Then you can take the Interlocken exit from 36w to get to s. boulder road/baseline to get into boulder.

I'm coming in for the Oregon State game and land at DIA at 10:45. Pretty sure I'm ok to make the 2:00 game but what is the status of 36 coming into Boulder?

Anyone have problems on 36 last two weekends? I got to boulder pretty early but traffic was very light.

I found 36 to be okay until close to Flatirons mall. Then it was stop and go. So I took that interlocked/mccaslin exit and caught baseline in to south boulder road. That was very very easy. 36 going home was a parking lot for me. Constant stopping.

Anyone have problems on 36 last two weekends? I got to boulder pretty early but traffic was very light.

Guys, please refer back to the OP.

Plane is scheduled to land at 10:45.

Got to figure that it's 45 minutes before he has the rental car and is hitting the road (assuming no checked bags).

So if everything goes well, he's leaving the rental lot at 11:30. More likely, it will be 12:00.

Then, normal traffic would be 40 minutes to get onto campus from there. Between the higher traffic, getting parked on a game day, walking to the stadium, getting through security and taking his seat... let's just say that he doesn't have an extra 15 minutes to enjoy the scenic route.

Like I originally posted, I'd go with E-470, jump on 36W in Broomfield, and turn into campus on Colorado. That is your best bet of making it in without being stressed the whole way. Might even get to have a beer or two at the Garden and see Ralphie run if you're flight's on time and your rental company is efficient.

land 10:45
Exit terminal. 11:15
rental car. 12:15
(DIA car rental sucks donkey balls. Use premium status if you got it. Pay too damn much. Counters often understaffed.)

drive options
1: I70-270-US 36 arrive between 1 and 1:30
2: E-470 / 36 arrive between 12:50 and 1:20. Pay tolls. Rental car dings you later.
3: Brighton / Baseline arrive 1:30 - 1:40

Parking, walk to campus & stadium entry add 15-20 min.

There's the OP's options.

land 10:45
Exit terminal. 11:15
rental car. 12:15
(DIA car rental sucks donkey balls. Use premium status if you got it. Pay too damn much. Counters often understaffed.)

drive options
1: I70-270-US 36 arrive between 1 and 1:30
2: E-470 / 36 arrive between 12:50 and 1:20. Pay tolls. Rental car dings you later.
3: Brighton / Baseline arrive 1:30 - 1:40

Parking, walk to campus & stadium entry add 15-20 min.

There's the OP's options.

You're probably right. So much depends on where you sit on the plane, how close your gate is to the shuttle, which terminal, how long you have to wait for the shuttle, whether you've got checked bags, whether your rental car shuttle shows up right away, and whether you're using Hertz Club Gold or similar.

Anyway... figuring an hour and a half from an on-time arrival to actually hitting the road is probably the safest bet.

[video=youtube;twqa9AppfeE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twqa9AppfeE&t=6s[/video]

If you are going to be worried about traffic - I would take the E470 and get off at 287, 287 north to Arapahoe and head into Boulder. It is 43 miles and about 52 minutes going that way. Easy pass is a flat fee I believe.

Excellent choice for pay; for free just go north on Tower (off of Pena Blvd) to 144th and straight west to 287, north on 287 to Arapahoe and its a straight shot into Boulder on an improved Arapahoe.

As a native, whose folks lived at 95th and Arapahoe, that's the best free route I was able to find, lo, these many years.

(Aside from that, still think the 36 FUBAR costs the Buffs, 2-3,000 attendance on early fall game days. Its depressing to drive through that "war zone" on the way in and even worse and more depressing, driving out of Boulder after the game.)

Some of you people are nuts. You're asking a guy with a time crunch to double his commute time because you think you've found some secret route.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate it! Assuming my flight lands on time I'm fairly confident I can be in the car and on the way close to 11:30...I'm used to doing this when I come. I feel like I could be on 36 coming into Boulder around Broomfield by 12:15-12:30 if I take 70 to 270 to 36...my only concern is will it take me 20 minutes to go that final 10 miles on 36 or will it take me an hour. That's what I'm not sure about.

Question, on this post from Buffenuf about going up Tower road and heading west to 287. That seems like a pretty good option. Does 104th Ave that I would have to head west on for quite awhile to get to 287 flow pretty well? What's the speed limit and stop light situation from Tower and 104th to 287?

I live off 144th, about 5 minutes east of 287. There are numerous lights all along the route, and it is 2-lane for much of it.

Seriously, don't overthink this. The only way that Tower -> 144th -> 287 -> Arapahoe is faster is if there is a SEVERE accident on US36. I take US36 into Boulder and out of Boulder for work fairly regularly, and it isn't that bad... it is a mess, but it flows ok for the most part.

Pay the $25 and take E-470, which will dump you just west of Flatiron. You will be fine, and you will be more relaxed then sitting at random stoplights on 144th wondering if you made a huge mistake.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate it! Assuming my flight lands on time I'm fairly confident I can be in the car and on the way close to 11:30...I'm used to doing this when I come. I feel like I could be on 36 coming into Boulder around Broomfield by 12:15-12:30 if I take 70 to 270 to 36...my only concern is will it take me 20 minutes to go that final 10 miles on 36 or will it take me an hour. That's what I'm not sure about.

Question, on this post from Buffenuf about going up Tower road and heading west to 287. That seems like a pretty good option. Does 104th Ave that I would have to head west on for quite awhile to get to 287 flow pretty well? What's the speed limit and stop light situation from Tower and 104th to 287?

Stick with your Pena to 270/36 plan. If you get backed up on 36 just hop off and take a back road then. Just head north then west and you will get there.

I live off 144th, about 5 minutes east of 287. There are numerous lights all along the route, and it is 2-lane for much of it.

Seriously, don't overthink this. The only way that Tower -> 144th -> 287 -> Arapahoe is faster is if there is a SEVERE accident on US36. I take US36 into Boulder and out of Boulder for work fairly regularly, and it isn't that bad... it is a mess, but it flows ok for the most part.

Pay the $25 and take E-470, which will dump you just west of Flatiron. You will be fine, and you will be more relaxed then sitting at random stoplights on 144th wondering if you made a huge mistake.

Thanks, appreciate it

Excellent choice for pay; for free just go north on Tower (off of Pena Blvd) to 144th and straight west to 287, north on 287 to Arapahoe and its a straight shot into Boulder on an improved Arapahoe.

As a native, whose folks lived at 95th and Arapahoe, that's the best free route I was able to find, lo, these many years.

(Aside from that, still think the 36 FUBAR costs the Buffs, 2-3,000 attendance on early fall game days. Its depressing to drive through that "war zone" on the way in and even worse and more depressing, driving out of Boulder after the game.)

Tower does not connect with 144th, it dead ends at 128th due to Barr Lake. If it did, 144th dead ends westbound at Brighton Rd.

If you want to save some money you can get off at 287 and take Arapahoe into Boulder. The E-470 technically ends there and you avoid the NW toll piece beyond that. I often do that rather than mess with 36 at all.

Some of you people are nuts. You're asking a guy with a time crunch to double his commute time because you think you've found some secret route.

I seriously doubt you have ever flown into DIA 3 hours before game time and have had to rent a car.

So your local experience isn't really relevant here.

Since when is 75 min versus 50-60 min doubling your time? If he takes 36, as you recommend, he likely to burn 15 min on 36 between Baseline and Colorado trying to turn left into campus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seriously doubt you have ever flown into DIA 3 hours before game time and have had to rent a car.

So your local experience isn't really relevant here.

Since when is 75 min versus 50-60 min doubling your time? If he takes 36, as you recommend, he likely to burn 15 min on 36 between Baseline and Colorado trying to turn left into campus.

My local experience isn't relevant? Ok Skiddy - enjoy your drive :lol: As someone who has sat in traffic along Tower, 144th, 287, and Arapahoe at various points during rush hour and before and after games, I will continue to preach that route you propose is ridiculous for his circumstances.

My local experience isn't relevant? Ok Skiddy - enjoy your drive :lol: As someone who has sat in traffic along Tower, 144th, 287, and Arapahoe at various points during rush hour and before and after games, I will continue to preach that route you propose is ridiculous for his circumstances.

Seeing as you live on 144th 5 minutes east of 287, your commute isn't all that relevant. Driving to Boulder M-F on a work commute from your location isn't the same thing as Game Day traffic from DIA.

gupu3ene.jpg

Can you update the map with good Mexican food locations. That should play a factor.

There are a ton of lights. The traffic does not flow very quickly at all. This would be a horrible option. You'd be far, far, far better off taking the NW parkway and connecting up with US 36 in Broomfield. If you are really concerned with traffic on US 36, get off the NW parkway at US 287 and go north to South Boulder Road and take that into Boulder. SBR moves much faster than either Arapahoe or Baseline, IMO. Take it all the way to Broadway and come in to the campus from the South as opposed to the East.

Can you update the map with good Mexican food locations. That should play a factor.

Way ahead of you. That purple pin in Commerce City is my favorite Mexican restaurant on the airport commute. Too bad it's only open on weekdays.

Burrito Company
6025 E Parkway Dr Ste 107, Commerce City, CO 80022 · Town and Country
(303) 287-1341

There are a ton of lights. The traffic does not flow very quickly at all. This would be a horrible option. You'd be far, far, far better off taking the NW parkway and connecting up with US 36 in Broomfield. If you are really concerned with traffic on US 36, get off the NW parkway at US 287 and go north to South Boulder Road and take that into Boulder. SBR moves much faster than either Arapahoe or Baseline, IMO. Take it all the way to Broadway and come in to the campus from the South as opposed to the East.

Traffic was flowing very smoothly before four hours before the ASU game a couple weeks ago on 160th. The lights aren't a big deal.
Avoid 102nd or 144. The lights do suck on that route.

Horrible from a Longmont perspective =/= horrible from a normal perspective. Sacky lives 5 minutes from work in small town USA.

It amuses me how people downplay how brutal 36 can be between Broadway and Colorado. That intersection sucks when you are cutting it close.

Last edited by a moderator:
Way ahead of you. That purple pin in Commerce City is my favorite Mexican restaurant on the airport commute. Too bad it's only open on weekdays.

Burrito Company
6025 E Parkway Dr Ste 107, Commerce City, CO 80022 · Town and Country
(303) 287-1341
Nice! Location?

Back