1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Irwin playing out of position at LT?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Seems that he has really struggled the past few weeks.

Before camp, I always thought of him as a Guard who could maybe play RT.

Frankly, with the way teams play these days I'm not so sure there's still much of a difference between LT and RT. Both are pass-pro spots that put you on an island. So maybe I just see Irwin as an OG.

I wonder if this year's OL would actually be better if Crabb was playing LT and Irwin was playing LG. I think we'd get more movement that way on the interior runs. And while Crabb doesn't have the length you want in a LT, he has pretty good feet and the football IQ of a 5th year senior so would likely be serviceable there.

Thoughts?

2. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Growing pains iyam. The issue with this offense is run blocking, not the LT in pass pro. He may be our worst OL in that regard, but when you drop back 67 times in a game, somebody is going to get through...

3. FightCu1414

FightCu1414 Fifth year Senior Club Member

Insert uninformed post wanting Callahan to start at LT.

4. Buff_since76

Buff_since76 Still a fan... Club Member

LT may not be Irwins best/natural position, but he may be the best we have in order to make the line the best it can be.

In a perfect world I think Irwin slides into a guard position.

5. Bufffan68

Bufffan68 Club Member Club Member

This post takes me back to the rumors I hear about favoritism/not using the best talent on the OL. We're decent right now at OL, but I just feel like we move a few people around, add Calahan to the mix, we could be better. But just my uninformed view from 35K feet.

6. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Problem is that mixing and matching OL is difficult and tends to lead to more issues than benefits once the season has begun. Has to do with their chemistry and that mythical "gelling" we all need to see on the OL. Unless Callahan is far and away the better RG, then he likely won't be subbed in to the starting 5. Now with that said, the bye week coming up opens a few more possibilities that things could be shuffled if need be.

7. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

This, he may be a natural guard more than a tackle but he is doing well for a guy in his first year starting at the tougest position on the OL.

Idealy I'd like him inside but until we have someone better we don't have a choice. He has done better than I expected him to do and would expect him to get better as he gets more experience there.

8. badbone63

badbone63 Active Member

I thought I read that Irwin has only played guard in HS