1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it legal to...

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by jrod212, Jul 17, 2008.

1. jrod212

jrod212 Member

i was wondering, since i know the defensive line can move around at the line of scrimage and the O line cant, couldnt the d line line up against the person they are usually on, and then the 2 DEs for example could get up and switch? the QB could probably snap the ball, but still.

2. Cornh8er

Cornh8er Well-Known Member

Yes it's legal, as long as they stay on their side of the ball

3. jrod212

jrod212 Member

why dont teams do that? i assume the O matches the best OT with the best DE, so couldnt the best DE just get up and switch spots with the weaker DE, and then hopefully dominate that OT?

4. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

The offense doesn't match offensive lineman to the opposition's d-line. A right offensive tackle is always a right offensive tackle and so on. It isn't rare to see d-linemen moving around before the snap, but usually (almost always) the right end lines up at right end and the left end lines up at the left end.

5. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

defense in the front 7 is all about "filling the gaps" - being in the right position to take away running lanes. If the defense is moving around and the QB snaps, the DL will be out of position and can get burned.

6. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

What's the benefit of doing that?

7. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Actually, a couple years ago- Colorado's offensive line flip-flopped, depending on which side was the strong side of the field and which side was the weak side.

So a tackle might have been on the left side of the formation one play, and the right side of the formation the next.

8. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

True, Short Bus ran a system with a strong tackle and weak tackle instead of left and right.

9. jrod212

jrod212 Member

interesting.

10. BeachBronco

BeachBronco Active Member

I am around a lot of high school football and I see entire defenses adjust to what they perceive to be the strong side of a formation. There are a lot of strong side defensive ends as well as linebackers. Corners will matchup with a teams stud receiever regardless of which side of the field he may line up on. The main disadvantage and you see this more and more with the popularity of the spread offense is that quick witted QB's will try and get a snap off in the middle of a shift.

11. Wyo Buff

Wyo Buff Club Member Club Member

They do it all the time. It is called running "games" ET's TE's Twists etc..... O-Linemen practice against "games" all the time. Also, if the Ends or Tackles are standing and out of their stance, they are sitting ducks to get drove on a run play. Many teams will simply quicksnap the ball when the ends are switching so they will be exposed.

12. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Guest

The Defensive line starts moving around like that and they will get knocked on their asses! You have to get into a base stance, where your weight is distributed equally. If you are hopping around like a rabbit and the ball is snapped, that Offensive Lineman is going to get under the Defensive Lineman's pads and carry him around where every he wants to move him. Leverage and footing is a big key down in the trenches.

13. jrod212

jrod212 Member

yah i was just thinking about it. i mean, it would probably confuse the o line if you did it like once while they were audible'ing or something.

14. Chilly

Chilly Well-Known Member

And we all know how that ended don't we.