What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is it time for Ballenger yet?

You keep ignoring the fact that a QB with different skills and tools can help overcome a patchwork offensive line.

Defenses can put 9 men in the box against Cody and ignore the rest of the field because they know he ain't gonna beat em deep and he can't throw the quick slants or screens.

Maybe a QB who can open up the field, can take pressure off the line. What we're doing now is obviously not working, so why not try something different. You can't change players on the line, because you're out of players, our receivers, for all intents and purposes are interchangeable, with our one deep threat on the bench for most of the game (which I'm not going to go into here), and our backs are known quantities. The only unknown quantity, the MIGHT turn things around and take pressure off the line is the QB position. With the O-line in the shambles that it's in right now, if they keep trotting Cody out there they are staring down the barrel of missing a bowl game. There is NO REASON for defenses NOT to stack the line of scrimmage and blitz their brains out with Cody in there.

Changing QB's may not make a difference at all, but it certainly can't hurt to try, because throwing the same crap out there every game and shrugging your shoulders and blaming the offensive ineptitude on the line is NOT an acceptable answer.

Hell, at this point, I just want to see them try ANYTHING different, because right now, the coaches are just beating their heads against a brick wall with the same crap game after game.

EDIT:

Everyone's just shrugging their shoulders and accepting that the QB plahy is bad because of the O-Line. We can't improve the O-Line midway through the season, so the answer is to just accept it and not try something that might change things?

Hawk may want to win and believes he's doing what's best. But if I had someone working for me who kept doing the same thing and kept failing, without changing anything, and falling back on excuses, I'd fire him. I want to see changes to compensate for a bad o-line, and not just excuse everything on a bad o-line. We're not seeing it in the personnel, game planning or play calling.

EDIT 2:

It's been said around here before. I think with a healthy line, Cody would probably be fine. Because of his skillset though, a patchwork o-line hurts him much more than the same line would affect a QB that could make the throws you need to make in that situation and move on his feet.

Forget it. We are wasting our time. They can't understand that a big part of the OL issues is the fact that they are overwhelmed by other theams stacking the box against us, sue to the fact that there is no credible passing threat. And stacking the box means limited run game. If Cody stays the starter, we will not make a bowl game. he cannot overcome his weak arm, no matter how great a guy he is. it is what it is; He needs an exceptional OL to look like a good QB.

OL play is down significantly from even last year (based on OL grades). Last I checked, we had the same QB in 2007 as this year...

Cody needs to sit down. There is no way he is going to come out of this the way things are now. His confidence is shot, the O-line is a mess and Cody is not going to make it better. With the O-line as it is, we have to have someone who can move around and avoid the sack. That's not Cody. KU had NINE men in the box all day. How much disrespect can you give an opposing QB? The point is we have seen what Cody can and can't do. If the line was good, Cody would most likely be just fine, but that is not the case. Hawk has to give Ballenger a chance to succeed. Start him against kjsu and see what happens. It can't be any worse than it has been. Give your team a chance to win the friggin game. Putting Ballenger in when the game is already over is pointless. A change may or may not work, but they have to try something. DAMN, I hate this Sh!t.

I don't really understand the people who seem to be so enthusiastic about watching Cody struggle that they think it's worth throwing away the season, either.

To suggest that Ballenger must have no familiarity with the offense is a bit over the top. What do you think he has been doing in Boulder the last 2 years?

But whatever. Keep supporting the QB when it is absolutely painfully obvious that he isn't going to get it done. Overthrowing those receivers at FSU? Clearly, the O-line's fault.

Bunch of BS. CU will continue to lose as long as this young man continues to run the show.

I don't really understand the people who seem to be so enthusiastic about watching Cody struggle that they think it's worth throwing away the season, either.

To suggest that Ballenger must have no familiarity with the offense is a bit over the top. What do you think he has been doing in Boulder the last 2 years?

But whatever. Keep supporting the QB when it is absolutely painfully obvious that he isn't going to get it done. Overthrowing those receivers at FSU? Clearly, the O-line's fault.

Bunch of BS. CU will continue to lose as long as this young man continues to run the show.

Is it your opinion that a simple change of personnel at the QB position is going to turn CU from a 5-7 type team into an 8-4 type team or something?

I'd like to see Ballenger play too, if for no other reason than I think this season is pretty much toast and we need to start developing for next year NOW.

But if Ballenger did become the starter I wouldn't expect any better offensive results than what Hawkins has been throwing out there.

Is it your opinion that a simple change of personnel at the QB position is going to turn CU from a 5-7 type team into an 8-4 type team or something?

I'd like to see Ballenger play too, if for no other reason than I think this season is pretty much toast and we need to start developing for next year NOW.

But if Ballenger did become the starter I wouldn't expect any better offensive results than what Hawkins has been throwing out there.

MB, if he ever gets to play meaningful minutes, is going to look rough around the edges. He has an arm, he is more mobile (admittedly, not a high bar to clear) and Helfrich supposedly handpicked him as his QB recruit two years ago. Why not get him some meaningful PT and let him make some of the mistakes he is bound to make now instead of next year?

Of course, all this assumes Cody can lose his job for any reason. Given the last three abysmal outings, I am beginning to wonder whether anybody but Cody will play....

Who knows, but I don't think that's the point. The point is with Cody we already know it's not going to get better. Seriously, can it get much worse if Ballenger isn't the answer? We need to find out and at least give the team a chance. Again, it's not all Cody's fault. If the O-line were healthy and doing well chances are Cody would be, too. He's not a terrible QB. But they're not OK and his lack of mobility and arm strength make that bad situation even worse. With 9 in the box-NINE!-and no threat to run or throw deep, it's a jailbreak on every play that he can't avoid.

Back