What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is it time to sit Sefo?

Thank you captain obvious. But it's also been like that all season.

I'm ready for Apsay to start.
this.

He's clearly the QB of the future or at least the backup of the future. Let him get snaps, lots of them.
Not playing him in the 4Q was dumb. Almost as dumb as having no offensive strategy to handle blitz-city ala Honolulu all over again. That's on the OC. I've lost patience with the O-scheme and he's 2nd to Neinas on my dip**** list.

I can understand the idea behind playing to win but if your team can't figure out that being down 24 with less than 5 minutes left in a game you have had trouble scoring in they aren't smart enough to win anyways.

Garbage time is exactly that, zero benefit to playing Sefo in that situation.

this.

He's clearly the QB of the future or at least the backup of the future. Let him get snaps, lots of them.
Not playing him in the 4Q was dumb. Almost as dumb as having no offensive strategy to handle blitz-city ala Honolulu all over again. That's on the OC. I've lost patience with the O-scheme and he's 2nd to Neinas on my dip**** list.
The ****?qb of the future? Weirdest post this week

I think Sefo needs to just go out and have fun. I was thinking about the difference between his first season and now and I just remember how much more excited and natural he looked out there. I think the OLine play has really devastated his game and I'm not confident that another QB will have more success. Just tell Sefo to let her rip and let things fall where they may.

This play. This. You cannot miss this throw. It's his head.

OJTheMQ.gif

It was at this point in the game (check the clock - VERY early in the game) that I knew there was absolutely no chance we would win. That was simply horrendous. If he hits that pass, it goes for probably 30-40 yards. I think he threw a pick on the very next play.

Oh, and yeah, I'm all for starting Aspay at this point. The pipe dream of a bowl game is shattered. Sefo's confidence is shot, and he's probably too hurt to play effectively anyway. Aspay has enough time in the system so that we wouldn't have to shrink the playbook too much. I have to think that Aspay could hit that pass. That alone is reason enough to make the switch. Now.

Apsay's better mobility might give him an advantage working behind an OLine that has trouble protecting the passer.

I'd say there's next to zero chance of benching Sefo. And any QB will be behind this horrendous OL. That said, I'm ready to see something different...maybe the bench isn't better in practice, but we need a guy who is faster and can see wide open receivers. Honestly, if someone was good at scrambling and hitting wide open guys, we'd be averaging 40 pts a game right now.

Of course it would never happen, but we'd be better off with Awini back there at this point. At least he could run some option and escape when the protection breaks down. (In other words, almost every passing play.) And maybe he could even hit wide open receivers who are only 15 yards away from him.

This play. This. You cannot miss this throw. It's his head.

OJTheMQ.gif
Snow speaks the ugly truth...Sefo hit his ceiling and is regressing. The game is not slowing down for him. If that is the case in year three of your starter, you do not have a starter.

However, I expect no change. MikMac is on a much hotter seat than many think, IMO, he will ride Sefo because he has to produce now, either wins, or preventing the blowout, and he cannot risk the learning curve. He won't survive a learning curve, and he may not survive with Sefo.

Last edited:
Of course it would never happen, but we'd be better off with Awini back there at this point. At least could run some option and escape when the protection breaks down. (In other words, almost every passing play.) And maybe he could even hit wide open receivers who are only 15 yards away from him.

At this point it could be worth a try.

I don't doubt the coaches are right in thinking Sefo gives us the best chance to win, but I seriously wonder if they are trying to build depth and develop anyone else on the roster. Playing Sefo into the 4th quarter against Nicholls and the entire game last night would be stupid if Sefo was healthy. It looks even worse knowing he is not healthy and knowing he will take a lot of hits behind this patchwork OL. The best answer MacIntyre can muster is "we are trying to win games"? Really?

MM said they left sefo in because " they wanted to keep the ball moving". Really coach? Down 24 with 6 to play and 8 sacks on your qb? More like lets score again so we lose by less . Complete B.S.

MM said they left sefo in because " they wanted to keep the ball moving". Really coach? Down 24 with 6 to play and 8 sacks on your qb? More like lets score again so we lose by less . Complete B.S.

It was a bit incongruent with his decision to punt half way through Q4 against UO the week before.

Pretty lame. They sat him at Oregon last year. But Gerkhe was pretty bad so he went in 2nd half if I recall.

In times like these the back up QB is the most popular kid on the team.

Sefo reminds me of Steve Vogel at this point. Most on the board probably do not know who he is and be grateful for that.

Makes no sense. If it was during the Barnett era , or earlier, I guarantee someone would double down on this question until it was answered truthfully.

I was ok with it down 24. But as soon as they failed on the 2pt conversion and it was still a 3 possession game it was time to pull him... even if the defense would have gotten a quick stop on the next series. What was inexplicable to me was that ASU scored on that next possession and Sefo still came back out for the next series.

I was ok with it down 24. But as soon as they failed on the 2pt conversion and it was still a 3 possession game it was time to pull him... even if the defense would have gotten a quick stop on the next series. What was inexplicable to me was that ASU scored on that next possession and Sefo still came back out for the next series.

I agree

I'm no big Sefo fan, I think all things being equal, he's still no better than an average to below average P5 QB. But if anyone thinks Apsay or Gehrke would be better, consider what they have to work with.

1. Arguably the worst and smallest OL in P5 in pass protection ... And they're banged up.
2. Arguably the shortest and skinniest group of receivers, at least in the PAC 12 ... So they won't be out jumping or out muscling many corners, really limiting what you can do route wise
3. No TE play to speak of
4. Mind boggling play calling for long stretches from Lindgren, not giving his QB opportunities to get rhythm
5. A depleted RB group that has been inconsistent... But really they could be much worse .... Look at WSU.

We've invested 2.5 seasons in Sefo and there's no way, short of a total meltdown by him, that Mac benches him. The honest truth is that we're closer than we were 3 years ago, but the gap was so wide, that even progress looks like regression at times.

Snow speaks the ugly truth...Sefo hit his ceiling and is regressing. The game is not slowing down for him. If that is the case in year three of your starter, you do not have a starter.

However, I expect no change. MikMac is on a much hotter seat than many think, IMO, he will ride Sefo because he has to produce now, either wins, or preventing the blowout, and he cannot risk the learning curve. He won't survive a learning curve, and he may not survive with Sefo.

I have said Sefo has a low ceiling that we have seen since day one when he was the same exact QB as a Frosh. Last year was his best and we went 2-10. Kills drives. Kills games. Time to get Apsay snaps.

I'm no big Sefo fan, I think all things being equal, he's still no better than an average to below average P5 QB. But if anyone thinks Apsay or Gehrke would be better, consider what they have to work with.

1. Arguably the worst and smallest OL in P5 in pass protection ... And they're banged up.
2. Arguably the shortest and skinniest group of receivers, at least in the PAC 12 ... So they won't be out jumping or out muscling many corners, really limiting what you can do route wise
3. No TE play to speak of
4. Mind boggling play calling for long stretches from Lindgren, not giving his QB opportunities to get rhythm
5. A depleted RB group that has been inconsistent... But really they could be much worse .... Look at WSU.

We've invested 2.5 seasons in Sefo and there's no way, short of a total meltdown by him, that Mac benches him. The honest truth is that we're closer than we were 3 years ago, but the gap was so wide, that even progress looks like regression at times.
WSU beat Oregon and we have enough talent at REC. got to hit the open REC.

WSU beat Oregon and we have enough talent at REC. got to hit the open REC.
I'm just saying that WSU doesn't run the ball well. But it's not a big problem for them. But they protect their QB better, have better wideouts, and their play calling is waaaay better than ours.

Back