What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is it too late to fire Hawkins?

The State House disliked CU even when it was winning. There is long-standing animosity between the Legislature and our state universities, especially CU, for whatever reason.

The State House disliked CU even when it was winning. There is long-standing animosity between the Legislature and our state universities, especially CU, for whatever reason.

this was true, but shouldn't it be changing?

demographically, when i was at CU, the legislature was controlled by folks from rural locations. in fact, the number of people in rural parts of colorado outnumbered the population in urban areas. this meant that the state tended to be represented by more conservative folks (even the dems were more conservative than now).

sometime in the 90s (i believe), the number of voters in the urban parts of the state surpassed the rural voting population for the first time. as urban voters tend to be more liberal and younger and all the rest, this started to swing the state and the legislature more to the left.

much of the historical animosity toward CU from state legislators is because of its perceived liberal bias. shouldn't that be changing? hell, the legislature (it would seem to me) ought to map more closely to boulder than it does to rural colorado these days, right?

i remember a very funny conversation with the then-president of CU (i used to work at the state capital while i was at CU and i did some lobbying stuff for the school). the then-president used to say that when he went to the little rural towns across the state, he'd tell them about all of our astronauts and breakthroughs in research and such. then, inevitably, the first question from the audience would be "when are you guys going to beat nebraska in football?" he said that was an eye-opening experience. maybe the current leadership needs a similar revelation.

I don't think it is too late.

Neuheisel left CU in January.

I still hold out hope that Hawkins will do the honorable thing and resign.

Last edited:
this was true, but shouldn't it be changing?

demographically, when i was at CU, the legislature was controlled by folks from rural locations. in fact, the number of people in rural parts of colorado outnumbered the population in urban areas. this meant that the state tended to be represented by more conservative folks (even the dems were more conservative than now).

sometime in the 90s (i believe), the number of voters in the urban parts of the state surpassed the rural voting population for the first time. as urban voters tend to be more liberal and younger and all the rest, this started to swing the state and the legislature more to the left.

much of the historical animosity toward CU from state legislators is because of its perceived liberal bias. shouldn't that be changing? hell, the legislature (it would seem to me) ought to map more closely to boulder than it does to rural colorado these days, right?

i remember a very funny conversation with the then-president of CU (i used to work at the state capital while i was at CU and i did some lobbying stuff for the school). the then-president used to say that when he went to the little rural towns across the state, he'd tell them about all of our astronauts and breakthroughs in research and such. then, inevitably, the first question from the audience would be "when are you guys going to beat nebraska in football?" he said that was an eye-opening experience. maybe the current leadership needs a similar revelation.

A little part of it was a politics difference/liberals vs. conservative thing. The majority of the animosity that I witnessed during my stints in Romer's office and as a State Rep.'s assistant were due to the feeling that higher education at 4-year research universities is something for the rich kids, and that 'normal' kids go to community colleges & such. What always confused me about this were that these views were held by many who WENT to 4-year universities. Plus, the members who routinely get put on the JBC are almost always some of the most conservative members of the Legislature.

And so you throw a member of the old line Republican party machine into the works at a time when the legislature (and govenor) are controlled by the Dems. Considering the level of polarization in current politics I don't see how this would work any better than putting in a liberal Dem when the state government is in control of the Republicans.

Wrong man, wrong time, bad results, and getting worse all the way around.

So I've been reading all of this across the entire day and have had a question come up that hopefully you CO residents can answer...

When would/does the legislature vote on increasing funding to CU?

The reason I ask is this. General unconfirmed opinion is that Benson overrode Bohn and DiStefano on the decision to fire Hawk because Benson didn't want to "spend political capital" while begging for money at the state legislature. (side note: what capital an Owens-esque conservative thinks he has with a left-wing liberal CO legislature I have no idea, but that's a different topic)

So I'm thinking if Benson gets told to go piss up a rope by the liberals quickly enough, then maybe he sees the light in time and tells Bohn to go can Hawk ASAP so he can get athletic department to start producing his precious money. Personally, I'd much rather see Ringo get a confirmed source and bust Benson for the lying sack of **** he is:thumbsup:, but that's the other thread...

So I've been reading all of this across the entire day and have had a question come up that hopefully you CO residents can answer...

When would/does the legislature vote on increasing funding to CU?

The reason I ask is this. General unconfirmed opinion is that Benson overrode Bohn and DiStefano on the decision to fire Hawk because Benson didn't want to "spend political capital" while begging for money at the state legislature. (side note: what capital an Owens-esque conservative thinks he has with a left-wing liberal CO legislature I have no idea, but that's a different topic)

So I'm thinking if Benson gets told to go piss up a rope by the liberals quickly enough, then maybe he sees the light in time and tells Bohn to go can Hawk ASAP so he can get athletic department to start producing his precious money. Personally, I'd much rather see Ringo get a confirmed source and bust Benson for the lying sack of **** he is:thumbsup:, but that's the other thread...

I think the next session gets under way shortly. There was something about it in todays paper.

Essentially, the Governor has to deal with the 2nd year of the downturn but this time he doesn't have the stimulus money from the feds to plug holes with. The cuts going forward will be even bigger this time than they were last June. He submitted a budget that cuts from pretty much all departents. Benson is trying to get his school cut the least but it also has the biggest piece of the pie. About $22,000,000 is expected to be loped off.

I think the next session gets under way shortly. There was something about it in todays paper.

Essentially, the Governor has to deal with the 2nd year of the downturn but this time he doesn't have the stimulus money from the feds to plug holes with. The cuts going forward will be even bigger this time than they were last June. He submitted a budget that cuts from pretty much all departents. Benson is trying to get his school cut the least but it also has the biggest piece of the pie. About $22,000,000 is expected to be loped off.

WOW! So Benson is in a net LOSE situation anyway he cuts it? :wow:

Man, this guy is even more of an idot than Albino was. So he forces Bohn to keep Hawkins, thereby cutting off his nose to spite his own face as far as trying to help the athletic dept. generate $$$ for the university, and then turns around and flat out LIES to media about what happened?

Jeez, if/when this finally gets out, his head his gonna roll big time. Hopefully so much that he screws his political aspirations over so completely that Colorado never has to worry about this idot representing them in any way.

Thanks for the update, Miami.

WOW! So Benson is in a net LOSE situation anyway he cuts it? :wow:

Man, this guy is even more of an idot than Albino was. So he forces Bohn to keep Hawkins, thereby cutting off his nose to spite his own face as far as trying to help the athletic dept. generate $$$ for the university, and then turns around and flat out LIES to media about what happened?

Jeez, if/when this finally gets out, his head his gonna roll big time. Hopefully so much that he screws his political aspirations over so completely that Colorado never has to worry about this idot representing them in any way.

Thanks for the update, Miami.
if you are appointed to the position to be a politico, you could at least be a good politico.

Back