What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is J Webb still on the team?

I love Webb as a backup QB.

The reasons have been stated and re-stated, but I'll summarize:

1. Veteran QB with a ton of snaps in game action.
2. Has shown the ability to move the offense for stretches.
3. Smart guy.

More than anyone, Webb can come into a game in a pinch and perform well even without having gotten many snaps during the practice week. He can get the team a win.

If it was a matter of playing long-term, I'd rather develop a younger QB. And maybe at the end of the season I'd say go with the young guy unless we were still in bowl contention. But in general, Webb is an excellent option to have at QB2.

I think some of you need to differentiate between "good starter option" and "solid backup option" when talking about Webb. You are damn right I feel more comfortable with Webb at QB2 than anyone else on the roster.

I understand the distinction, I just don't agree that Webb as the backup does anything for this team. That's mostly because I'm not expecting a significant win total this year - if we were a borderline bowl team I would agree, but to me having Webb as a backup only takes valuable reps from the younger players who need it.

3. Smart guy.

More than anyone, Webb can come into a game in a pinch and perform well even without having gotten many snaps during the practice week. He can get the team a win.

If it was a matter of playing long-term, I'd rather develop a younger QB. And maybe at the end of the season I'd say go with the young guy unless we were still in bowl contention. But in general, Webb is an excellent option to have at QB2.
Really? Only if we play Wazzu....

Thank Webb for his effort and send him on his way. We saw what Webb could do last year and it wasn't pretty. Not that it was all his fault given the train wreck our offense was last year. Our future is with Wood, Sefo, Gerhke, Dillion. Give them the reps learning the new O.

Webb just has too much damn baggage, and you know what you get with him using a full sample size of 6-30, and he has gotten worse: 3-9 (2010), 2-10 (2011), 1-11 (2012).

He is out until maybe October. He was denied a 6 year. He will be behind the competition. Most likely suspended by the Student government for a few more games after he returns from injury if he is accepted back. Makes no sense to bring him back.

30 starts!! Are you kidding? What do you expect to see from Webb that he hasn't done for 3 years as a D1 QB? Webb may have outplayed Wood last year, but I believe Wood has some potential that we may or may not see this year. I'd sure rather take that risk than starting Webb knowing exactly how mediocre he will be only to have him graduate and be in the same position again next year.

If we use the excuse that Wood will be much better with a better coach, then does it really matter if it was 3, 30, or 300 starts?

Not in my book. Again, I always thought Wood had the higher ceiling and I hope we never have to ask this question. But Webb was brought in to push Wood and provide insurance. Wood faltered. I see no reason to treat their experiences differently.

Now if Webb had played under the guy who recruited him, Mangino, then I'd buy it. But playing under the two most epic fail staffs in D1 football hardly is a personal indictment.

I hope Wood absolutely comes into his own now, and I believe he can with the right confidence. But I remain a tad concerned. I don't know what Webb can do under the same coaching and confidence, if anything. Those 30 starts are a write-off in my book.

Last edited:
If we use the excuse that Wood will be much better with a better coach, then does it really matter if it was 3, 30, or 300 starts?

Not in my book. Again, I always thought Wood had the higher ceiling and I hope we never have to ask this question. But Webb was brought in to push Wood and provide insurance. Wood faltered. I see no reason to treat their experiences differently.

Now if Webb had played under the guy who recruited him, Mangino, then I'd buy it. But playing under the two most epic fail staffs in D1 football hardly is a personal indictment.

I hope Wood absolutely comes into his own now, and I believe he can with the right confidence. But I remain a tad concerned. I don't know what Webb can do under the same coaching and confidence, if anything. Those 30 starts are a write-off in my book.

Sigh...I have no idea how good Wood will be or if he will be an upgrade over Webb, but I would take my chances with the more athletic player who has more upside and 2 years of eligibility left over the kid who has been awful for 3 seasons, and 2 teams. When you have 30 starts, I don't want to hear how you played for such terrible coaching staffs - even under such terrible coaching, you can still flash some athleticism, accuracy, decision making, leadership, but I didn't see any of that last year.

3. Smart guy.

Don't know where you saw #2 and #3 last year.

Here are my 3 reasons I do not want him back:

1- can't win after so many starts
2- can't throw accurately
3- can't throw accurately

Don't know where you saw #2 and #3 last year.

Here are my 3 reasons I do not want him back:

1- can't win after so many starts
2- can't throw accurately
3- can't throw accurately

it would appear you have a stuttering problem....

He's gone after this year regardless, so unless we have another player we can get here on scholarship by August I'd rather have another QB with real game experience on the roster. He's certainly the only one with a CU win to his credit on the resume and while I don't want him starting it's a better option than someone who has never taken a snap at this level.

People are gonna be begging for Webb if and when we trot out Gehrke/Stevie Joe etc

I honestly don't care either way and would just as soon see a younger QB get PT in the backup role.

But I find it interesting that people can talk about how "rehabbed" Connor Wood is under the new coaching staff and how great he is going to play, while throwing Webb under the bus permanently for playing less awful under the very same conditions that Wood did. Actually, Webb had a month to prepare, while Wood had a RS year, a full spring, in addition.

Save the 10,000 word explanation as to why Webb is bad and Wood is good. The reality is that Webb played under two of college footballs worst offensive leaders in recent memory. Wood looked awful under Embree as well. We will see how it all plays out. Save the explanation please.

If you're calling Embree one of college football's worst offensive leaders in recent memory then does a RS year and full spring under him mean anything? I don't disagree with you about Embree. I'm just not sure what all this extra time for Embree was supposed to do for Wood's preparation.

I also don't think there was a single game in which Connor was the starter/given first team reps all week leading up to a game. Jordan has been in that role many, many times. That's about my only reason for optimism (Well, that, and he hopefully has a better scheme and better athletes around him..hopefully).

Last edited:
Webb just has too much damn baggage, and you know what you get with him using a full sample size of 6-30, and he has gotten worse: 3-9 (2010), 2-10 (2011), 1-11 (2012).

+1...Webb hasn't been able to prove that he can win on the field...it's time to move on.

If you're calling Embree one of college football's worst offensive leaders in recent memory then does a RS year and full spring under him mean anything? I don't disagree with you about Embree. I'm just not sure what all this extra time for Embree was supposed to do for Wood's preparation.

I also don't think there was a single game in which Connor was the starter/given first team reps all week leading up to a game. Jordan has been in that role many, many times. That's about my only reason for optimism (Well, that, and he hopefully has a better scheme and better athletes around him..hopefully).
Embree's offense was too complicated. Coach Mac's is much more suited to college football. A first year starter will be more successful in Mac's system than a 5th year senior in Embree's...IMO...

That is my point actually. Having 30 starts or having been beaten out (and sat on the bench), if it came under the KU or CU flail-masters, what can we take from it? Not much. Connor got one start and some other spot playing time, and it wasn't pretty... I don't hold that against ANY of the QBs.

Here's to Connor Wood being a totally different QB this fall, and staying healthy. If he's as good as he looked this spring, we won't want to find out who his backup is, because it will be a drop-off. That word IF........

Back