What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is Lappe coaching for her job at this point?

That all starts with the product on the floor for WBB and if it isn't up to standard then RG has to make changes.

Unless a miracle occurs over the break, I don't see us finishing higher than last place in the Pac 12 and that should force RG to make a change.

DP article on the ladies. It attributes CU's issues with youth. Calls them a group of "puppies" learning how to compete.

The season was doomed when Arielle Roberson transferred and Monica Burich tore her ACL. There is just not enough talent and size to overcome these losses. There are only 4 players currently on the roster who can effectively compete in the PAC12, Swan, Smith, Kennedy and Robinson. Linda Lappe has made way too many mistakes in recruiting and it shows. Yes, I think we are about to watch the team go thru the death march with conference play about to begin. Am sure Rick George is doing his homework on compiling a list of candidates for replacements. His record shows he will not be patient with this type of performance.

DP article on the ladies. It attributes CU's issues with youth. Calls them a group of "puppies" learning how to compete.

Very odd article considering Robinsons and specifically Leonard's play. I would think the focus of opportunity would be on the "old dogs".

The season was doomed when Arielle Roberson transferred and Monica Burich tore her ACL. There is just not enough talent and size to overcome these losses. There are only 4 players currently on the roster who can effectively compete in the PAC12, Swan, Smith, Kennedy and Robinson. Linda Lappe has made way too many mistakes in recruiting and it shows. Yes, I think we are about to watch the team go thru the death march with conference play about to begin. Am sure Rick George is doing his homework on compiling a list of candidates for replacements. His record shows he will not be patient with this type of performance.

I so hope you are correct.

I also think the article should have been focused on the older players. Swan is definitely a Pac 12 caliber player and Leonard and Robinson certainly can be. They will all be overlooked playing on this team.

Unless a miracle occurs over the break, I don't see us finishing higher than last place in the Pac 12 and that should force RG to make a change.

Historically the PAC12 has been one of the tougher leagues in the country for WBB. This year however it currently has 5 teams ranked, the highest at #12 (OSU.)

It may be a lot to ask for us to consistently be at the top of our league but there is simply no excuse for us to be close to the worst team in the league.

Historically the PAC12 has been one of the tougher leagues in the country for WBB. This year however it currently has 5 teams ranked, the highest at #12 (OSU.)

It may be a lot to ask for us to consistently be at the top of our league but there is simply no excuse for us to be close to the worst team in the league.

The Pac-12 in women's basketball hasn't been one of the tougher conferences top to bottom since CU joined, but it hasn't been bad either. Regardless, I don't think it's too much to ask for the program to be consistently in the top tier of the conference standings. That's the point I've been trying to make in this forum. Between the facilities, school, Boulder, DIA, etc., there is no reason that with the right coaching staff CU couldn't be an elite program in the Pac-12 and country.

The Pac-12 in women's basketball hasn't been one of the tougher conferences top to bottom since CU joined, but it hasn't been bad either. Regardless, I don't think it's too much to ask for the program to be consistently in the top tier of the conference standings. That's the point I've been trying to make in this forum. Between the facilities, school, Boulder, DIA, etc., there is no reason that with the right coaching staff CU couldn't be an elite program in the Pac-12 and country.

You've got more comprehensive insight on the situation, but my oversimplified analysis is, if Oregon State can do it, CU should be able to do it.

You've got more comprehensive insight on the situation, but my oversimplified analysis is, if Oregon State can do it, CU should be able to do it.

Amen. If Oregon State can build a program that is at the top of the conference than absolutely yes, CU can as well. OSU has nothing on CU in terms of academics, location or facilities.

Three seasons ago when CU made it to the NCAA tourney, OSU, ASU and Oregon all looked to be dead in the water compared to the Buffs in terms of the future. Now look at those three programs compared to CU and it's the Buffs that look to be going nowhere.

No excuses. CU can and will have an elite WBB program if it chooses to value having an elite WBB program.

It better choose to have value WBB and choose it this season. Now would be even better.

I have no delusions that they are going to win the conference every year, but they should be finishing in the upper tier, not the lower tier.

Remember how poorly the Buffs played in the NCAA game on their home court? They played terrible.

As I looked at the Pac-12 standings, I have to wonder what coach can expect to keep their jobs going 6-12 in conference play three years in a row? Is a .333 winning rate acceptable for any sport? Let that sink in your mind for a few moments. I don't follow women's basketball but if you take a look at the conference standings from the last two seasons, that might explain why Lappe's job is in jeopardy.

With the basketball facilities that CU has, I don't think we have to tolerate 6-12 seasons in the Pac-12.

Would a winning record be enough to save Lappe's job?

Here's CU's conference records year-by-year under Lappe:
2010-11 6-10 (Big 12)
2011-12 6-12 (Pac 12)
2012-13 13-5 (Pac 12)
2013-14 6-12 (Pac 12)
2014-15 6-12 (Pac 12)

That's 37-51 overall in five seasons for 41%.

Thanks for Boyle, Bohn. Otherwise you struck out in literally every other hire (maybe not Sanchez)

2010-11 6-10 (Big 12)
2011-12 6-12 (Pac 12)
2012-13 13-5 (Pac 12)
2013-14 6-12 (Pac 12)
2014-15 6-12 (Pac 12)

Yep, Bohn made all bad hires, but I think a lot of the Lappe hire rests on Ceal's shoulders. She was the head of the committee and was the person who didn't follow the stated goals for a coach.

41% is mediocrity or even worse.

Yes, I agree friends of Ceal should not be considered for the position. Kathy McConnell Miller and most certainly Linda Lappe were a result of Ceal's input and look at where we are.

What we need at CU is a proven winner at the Division 1 level who can recruit, evaluate talent and be willing to beat the bushes to find good players. A case in point is Alyssa Rader from Horizon High school in Thornton who now plays for Northern Arizona. She is averaging 14ppg and 9 rebounds as a freshman. After she scored 27 points against CU this year Lappe said she wished she had recruited her. From what I understand CU didn't even look at her. Given the state of the current roster, you think she could help, yeah.

Lappe's biggest fault is in evaluating talent. At the very least you need to bring in players that have adequate size, quickness and are physically fit to play. You can't compete if you can't get up and down the court.

Yes, I agree friends of Ceal should not be considered for the position. Kathy McConnell Miller and most certainly Linda Lappe were a result of Ceal's input and look at where we are.

What we need at CU is a proven winner at the Division 1 level who can recruit, evaluate talent and be willing to beat the bushes to find good players. A case in point is Alyssa Rader from Horizon High school in Thornton who now plays for Northern Arizona. She is averaging 14ppg and 9 rebounds as a freshman. After she scored 27 points against CU this year Lappe said she wished she had recruited her. From what I understand CU didn't even look at her. Given the state of the current roster, you think she could help, yeah.

Lappe's biggest fault is in evaluating talent. At the very least you need to bring in players that have adequate size, quickness and are physically fit to play. You can't compete if you can't get up and down the court.

My biggest frustration with Lappe's recruiting is that she doesn't seem to put a premium on athleticism.

Is that woman that coached at Duke and bolted for Texas available? She isn't at Texas anymore, I don't think? Gail something.

At what point do we start talking about ceal as an issue?

I think the time has probably come for Ceal to retire, the challenge is much of our WBB support comes from the fans Ceal brought to the program as the head coach. Pushing her out would make the black hole even bigger.

Goestenkors. WNBA asst. I think. We should shoot for strictly alliterative names. GG, Shelley Sheetz, Beth Burns...
No longer coaching. GG is now doing TV commentary. And even if she wanted to go back into college coaching, she would be WAY out of our pay grade, as Luke says. Best I recall she was getting > $1 mil / year when coaching at Texas.

2010-11 6-10 (Big 12)
2011-12 6-12 (Pac 12)
2012-13 13-5 (Pac 12)
2013-14 6-12 (Pac 12)
2014-15 6-12 (Pac 12)

Someone's not getting the job done in conference play. One good season out of five (perhaps six) seasons wouldn't cut it anywhere.

No longer coaching. GG is now doing TV commentary. And even if she wanted to go back into college coaching, she would be WAY out of our pay grade, as Luke says. Best I recall she was getting > $1 mil / year when coaching at Texas.

Pretty much have to overpay for WBB coaches to avoid Title IX lawsuits. Look at what happened with KMM. Doesn't matter that WBB loses money and MBB makes money, the courts have pretty much determined that the head coach positions for the sports are equivalent jobs.

Pretty much have to overpay for WBB coaches to avoid Title IX lawsuits. Look at what happened with KMM. Doesn't matter that WBB loses money and MBB makes money, the courts have pretty much determined that the head coach positions for the sports are equivalent jobs.
This is so stupid.

So, the consensus is that CU shouldn't take another Lappe?

Yes. We need a proven DI winner as the head coach. Lappe never fit that definition when she was hired.

Ceal is probably an issue, but can they force her out? Don't see George firing her.

Back