What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is Mora (UCLA) the only defensive minded Head Coach currently in the PAC12?

It says that Pac 12 football scores are now indistinguishable from Pac 12 basketball scores.

Think you're forgetting about a star coach in the making up at Stanford in Shaw.

Other than that, yeah. The PAC has a rep for offense and that's the focus. One thing that's changing is that this conference used to have a philosophy of recruiting for offense and then moving the failed WRs to DB. I think Don James (former Colorado DC) showed the way and then no one really listened until Pete Carroll (except for a brief run by Dick Tomey with is "Desert Swarm", I can't think of another example).

The two defensive-minded coaches are at programs that are doing pretty well. In fact, they're at the programs that will be competing for the conference championship this weekend. So maybe we should be looking for a defensively minded head man???

Shaw was Stanford's offensive coordinator. His only experience as a defensive coach was back in 1995 when he first broke into coaching.

Shaw was Stanford's offensive coordinator. His only experience as a defensive coach was back in 1995 when he first broke into coaching.

My mistake. I always thought he was promoted from the defensive side. I don't know how that got into my head. It was Fangio who was DC under Harbaugh, right?

Yes - Fangio.

Defense seems to translate well from the NFL to college btw.

Mora is the only Defensive guy in the league and he went after a very experienced COLLEGE offensive recruiter. That's a great start. Then you can go after recruiting gurus for some of those position spots. Mora had a good formula.

Mora picked a pretty damn good staff. Klemm and Martin are quite hot up and coming recruiting types. Mazzonne as OC was also a great pick.

UCLA had a great year, but they also avoided UW and Oregon this year. That probably helped a bit.

Isn't Mike Riley more of a defensive coach?

He's a mix. I always thought that but I looked him up before my first post. He got the OSU job off his performance as OC/QB Coach with USC. He played DB in college and started his coaching career on that side of the ball.

Pretty close. Hence why I want a defense minded coach. It seems teams do much better that way.

Back