1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is our QB ever going to be part of the running game?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Duff Man, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

A zone read without the threat of the QB running is just a handoff.

2. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Guessing we will know this next week

3. SuperBuff

SuperBuff Club Member Club Member

Don't know if I read to much into it, but after a few option hand offs I saw him smack his head/hands. Almost like he saw the seam a fraction to late.

4. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

I can understand some of the hesitancy before because they didn't want to pull Sefo's shirt if Wood got his helmet popped or got knicked up a bit. Now that we have Sefo starting and Wood available to come of the bench if needed that shouldn't be as much of a concern.

You are right Duff in that the RB is much less effective if the LBs don't have to respect the potential of the QB run. At the same time a lot of those runs are based on following the guard and as pathetic as our interior OL has been at run blocking Sefo might as well just find the closest wall and run into it.

5. lawdogg

lawdogg Club Member Club Member

My thoughts as well. Making that read is a very time-sensitive thing, especially for a true freshman QB. With the way the backs were toting the rock today, probably not a terrible idea to give them the ball when in doubt. But Duff is absolutely right that the QB keeping it and running the ball adds a dimension that defenses have to respect and look out for. I hope we see more if it going forward with Sefo at the helm.

6. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

It felt like the play book was closed up tight yesterday. Don't be surprised when we see much more variety against Arizona.

7. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

gotta make the linebackers hesitate....anyway, i agree with MTN. the first thing that popped in my head was "no depth at QB protecting Sefo's RS"....but maybe now.

dunno. we are not very good so it's hard to know. improved a lot but still a long way to go.

8. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

And a pathetically slow developing one at that.

9. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

I think Sefo's athleticism is overrated by the interwebz. He's has serviceable athleticism kind of like Hansen

10. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Agreed but even more so. He doesn't have hansens moves or strength.

11. rosstr

rosstr Well-Known Member

Definitely disappointing to see him run. Particularly on that option read he took to the west sideline while driving to the south endzone. Wasn't much better than Cody Hawkins

12. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

I think Sefo will come around on this. He didn't run zone read in High School and it doesn't look that polished. Watching AZ vs Utah last night, both QBs really sell it well, and it's much harder as a fan to figure out if the QB kept it or not. Wood was awful at this as well. I haven't seen it look polished yet at CU.

13. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

I like him a lot more on more traditional bootlegs and stuff than I do running the read option.

14. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Never got the sense Sefo was a dual-threat QB. Always seemed more of a traditional pocket passer to me.

Apsay seems more dual-threat to me.

15. PAHIBuff

PAHIBuff Club Member Club Member

Heresy for sure on my part, but I enjoyed watching Chazzy So's option plays even though half of them didn't make much. Just seeing option football in Folsom was cool.

Kinda agree w/Slider. If we are depending on Sefo's run ability/athleticism we're whistling Dixie or waiting for a Bama OL. I'm thinking his passing ability might develop exponentially. If he's just Hansen, forget about it. Hansen was MWC (maybe) or FCS talent.

16. lawdogg

lawdogg Club Member Club Member

Think a lot of folks were thrown off because in his highlights from high school, he was running for his life on a lot of plays and showed decent escapability. Then we heard that he was an athlete, hoops player, and just put it together that he was a dual-threat guy. We are learning that was probably incorrect. But I gather your point about running the QB, even when Wood was playing, is that you don't need a Mariota back there to use the QB effectively in the zone read. A true dual-threat guy could make this offense dangerous.

17. MtnBuff

I think he is a better athlete than he has shown so far. The few times he has run he has been hesitant, partly because we have a different system than he is used to and more importantly he is hesitating because there isn't much room to run in.

He is never going to make anyone think of RG3 running the ball but if we ever get to a point where we are blocking well enough that the RB is a legitimate threat there will be some space he can take advantage of.

18. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Sefo just appears really tentative which leads to hesitancy in decision making. He has a long way to go.

19. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Didn't he camp with the Bengals? Definitely better than FCS talent.

20. MtnBuff

^^Agree^^

Hansen wasn't great but his problems didn't stem from a lack of talent. I'd guess if he had come along a couple of years later he would be our starting QB right now. Hansen's problems came from bad offensive lines, lack of supporting talent, and far and away most of all a lack of coherent coaching rsulting in constant confusion in his role and in those around him.

21. tante

I think we didn't use him right. he would have been a great bootleg qb.

22. MtnBuff

You could probably make a list of at least 50 different ways that Hansen was missused starting with his eligibility and running through how they used him and his actual position coaching.

Tyler was never going to be a star type guy, he didn't have that talent level but in the right situation he could have won a lot more games than he did.

23. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

IIRC Hansen was straight up awful when throwing the ball on the run. I could be remembering a different QB, though. I always thought Hansen would've been pretty beastly running the zone read, a play that continues to elude us.

24. tante

Don't confuse the run for your life throws with a designed throw off the run. I always thought he had good touch when he was moving to his right.

25. MtnBuff

Tante is right. He was pretty decent throwing the ball on controlled rollouts. He threw same bad balls when he was running around in survival mode but lots of QBs are

26. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

+1 The guy had a decent knack for making people miss.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  27. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

And I thought bjax would have been a much better option QB. Should have realized then when a hc is too stubborn to force the talent he has fit a different mold then he's not the one we want.