1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there any truth to the GB to CSewe rumor?....

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by leftybuff, Dec 2, 2011.

?

GB the new Goatherder?

1. Yes, he wants to work

14.8%
  2. Yes, he and Sonny are buds now

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, he is a good HC ccoice for anyone

14.8%
  4. No, Mac would intervene and save him from such a mistake

3.7%
  5. No, GB has too much class to go slumming (i.e. rammin')

37.0%
  6. No, GB wants to coach a team that draws more 11,000

46.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I have seen more than a few references to it. Perhaps a poll...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  2. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

****ing csu fans make me sick. They bashed and trashed gary ever since he came to cu and amped it up over the scandal. NOW he would be a great hire? How do these people look in the mirror? **** CSU AND THEIR SORRY ASS FANS.

If GARY lowers himself to coach there.....

3. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Fify

4. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I think he will be interviewed at the very least.

5. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

^^^Plus, if he wins, they would enroll him in the cheese of the month club...or some such thing.

6. buffsyko

Plenty of other jobs available, csu would be a slap in the face.

7. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Barnett's inability to dominate CSU is the big reason they call it a rivalry up there. I'd love to have a GB early season squad on the schedule every year.

8. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

As a Head Coach I feel like you dont pick the job as much as the job picks you. I havent heard his name being thrown around for any vacancy other than CSU, and if thats the case I can't fault him for finding work with how scarce work is right now.

9. krom

krom Club Member Club Member

To discriminate against age, GB is an old fart. Plus he has been out of the game for a while now.

10. cu2x

cu2x Club Member Club Member

If it's offered, I think he'd take it. He 's a coach, not an announcer, and even if an 'old fart', more of a man than some of the weenies who post here.

If you watched the BB game on TV, ROOT was doing promos for a show starring Sonny and GB, right after the game. Some kind of review of the "great" years when they opposed each other. Maybe somebody watching that came up withe suggestion, or maybe when Sonny and Gary sat down and thought about old times, Sonny decided he would suggest to the AD they consider GB.

and maybe...

11. RumblinBuff

RumblinBuff That one blogging guy Club Member

For someone who's a huge GB fan, to have to face him every year would be awkward to say the least. At least it's not Nebraska.

12. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

Gary deserves another shot at this. I'd applaud CSU if they hired him.

13. Waldo

Waldo Original Copy Club Member

He still wants to coach, saw him at the Cal game and he looked good.

<moving on>

14. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

Who woulda thunk. Apparantly when you beat CU in basketball the flood gates open.

Day After:

300 million dollar football stadium. Check
    Fire Athletic Director and hire a successor in less than 2 seconds: Check
    Boosters start throwing money around like Mr. Nike/T-Boone: Check
    You are going to make the NCAA tournament, plus Miles is the greatest basketball coach ever: Check
    You WILL hire the best coach in NCAA football: Check
    Peyton Manning wears Pete Thomas undies: Check

Anything I missed?

15. RK

RK UBL Club Member

Apparently he wants the KU job.

16. stl/dog

stl/dog Member

Think KU would offer it to him?

I think he could be v good there.

17. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

I'm rooting for the rams today. If they win maybe it gets Steve FarihaLk one more year.

18. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

^^This^^

Lots of rumors, speculation, rampant fantasizing but what has actually happened so far? They justified their existence for another year by beating CU at something even if it had to be a basketball game on their home court by one point when CU couldn't throw a brick in the ocean if they were standing on the end of the pier and still were one shot away from winning.

They did fire their AD, then replaced him with an alum from outside the athletic world (read: didn't have to compete with any other school in terms of salary, a cheap hire,) everything else is pure speculation without a single shred of evidence to indicate that they have any major donations coming, any plans for a new stadium (after pouring a bunch of money, at least a bunch of money from their perspective into the old dump. Their one past major donor was the one who donated the bulk of the improvements to the old stadium, is it logical that she is going to be excited about turning around and abandoning that money to pay for a new stadium? Don't think so.

Even after the last big donation their program has declined significantly in both on field performance and in terms or attendance and revenues. So they build a new stadium on or close to campus, great they can get 15,000 fans in the stadium for the annual year end drubbing instead of the 10,000 they get now.

They are also in full fantasy mode regarding the coaching situation. I'm surprised they haven't announced the press conference for Les Miles yet, at least in their minds.

News, they don't have any money and it is not exactly a highly desirable job, instead for all but Sonny it has been the end of the road, a coaching graveyard. They don't have money to pay a significant contract, they don't have tradition behind them, they don't have much talent on the roster and recruits aren't lining up to get in. They don't have the things top recruits look for, no national TV coverage, no huge fan support, no top flight facilities (even if they built a new stadium it wouldn't be much more than a second rate facility,) no prestigious conference affiliation.

What they are going to end up with as a coach is one of two things, either an assistant from another school who is not getting much interest from other schools as a HC and is willing to take a risk to jump start his career (or a HC at a lower division school in the same situation,) or a "washed up" former HC who is out of the loop and wants to get back in. In either case if the guy were to have some success it would be short lived because if the coach is a younger guy he will be gone at first opportunity and if he is one of the older guys he will be retiring fairly soon anyways.

19. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

GB was FIRED by Colorado, and he doesn't owe Colorado ****. If CSU calls and he has no better offers than he absolutely deserves the right to coach there even though I think it would be a mistake for him. I for one hope it wouldn't happen but any Colorado fan that would hold it against him is a moron.

20. stl/dog

stl/dog Member

Well said!!

21. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Nobody loves talking CSU more the Mtn.

22. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Unfortunately work with a whole bunch of them, hard to escape.

Kind of like the guy we used to have here who lived in Nebraska, had to focus on their idot fans just to keep his sanity.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  23. buffsyko

CSU laughed at him and trashed him. They deserve hawkins. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a moron.

24. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

I'd really be surprised if GB took the CSU job. There's other schools out there that are looking for a HC, but the game may have passed him bye.

25. Buffnik

Bolded the important part. We're talking about a guy who was fired from CU, hasn't worked the past 6 seasons, and is now a senior citizen.

He had 2 head coaching jobs of note and had a few great seasons with a lot of mediocrity and some suck. He left both of those schools embroiled in scandals.

I will be shocked if anyone hires GB.

26. buffsyko

27. Buffnik