What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is Utah feeling like a rivalry to you now?

Is the "Rumble in the Rockies" a rivalry again?

• Yes

• Getting closer, but not quite there yet

• A bit closer, but light years away from feeling like a rivalry

• No. Just ain't happening.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
It was definitely forced by the Pac-12 scheduling setup.

Historically, there was some precedent, since the teams had played the "Rumble in the Rockies" pretty much every year from 1903-1962. But 5 decades off pretty much defines "dormant" as far as rivalries go.

Since starting this up again in 2011, the Buffs have won 2 and Utes have won 4. Every game has had a final score differential of 7 points or less. One game kept Utah out of the Pac-12 Championship and one game sent CU to the Pac-12 Championship. All-time series record is led by CU 32-28-3.

As flagship schools of border states with the history, close games since the restart that have been meaningful, and being in the same conference with the traditional Thanksgiving week matchup seemingly locked in for the 2 programs... is this a rivalry again?

It was definitely forced by the Pac-12 scheduling setup.

Historically, there was some precedent, since the teams had played the "Rumble in the Rockies" pretty much every year from 1903-1962. But 5 decades off pretty much defines "dormant" as far as rivalries go.

Since starting this up again in 2011, the Buffs have won 2 and Utes have won 4. Every game has had a final score differential of 7 points or less. One game kept Utah out of the Pac-12 Championship and one game sent CU to the Pac-12 Championship. All-time series record is led by CU 32-28-3.

As flagship schools of border states with the history, close games since the restart that have been meaningful, and being in the same conference with the traditional Thanksgiving week matchup seemingly locked in for the 2 programs... is this a rivalry again?

It will be. If it starts deciding the South representative more often than not, things will get heated much faster.

Reactions: aik
Nope. I think the only way it will become a rivalry is if we routinely play them for the division title, and I'm not sure that they are going to be able to hold up their end of the bargain on that. I think it's more likely to be USC. I know Mac created the rivalry with Nebraska, but it really took off when a number of our games had conference championship implications.

No, it was just the next team on the schedule. There's no real hatred there. But I'll echo what everyone else has said, if we keep playing for division titles on Thanksgiving weekend, a rivalry could develop.

Utah will always have the Holy War with BYU, but now that they are not playing for a few years, we are the natural opponent of choice for them.
As for us, I hope it does go that way. We need a real rival...CSU just doesnt' cut it. Nothing in it for us if we win.

USC will always have UCLA, but I sure do hate their guts.

I completely understood them laughing off the "rivalry" previously with how bad we've been.

That said, I think good CU football means we can blow them out of the water in recruiting. So I have my sights set on UCLA/USC as rivals no matter how silly that may sound.

Utah will always have the Holy War with BYU, but now that they are not playing for a few years, we are the natural opponent of choice for them.
As for us, I hope it does go that way. We need a real rival...CSU just doesnt' cut it. Nothing in it for us if we win.

USC will always have UCLA, Stanford, and Notre Dame but I sure do hate their guts.
FIFY
We will never supplant any of those schools as USC's rival. To me, a rivalry needs to go both ways for it to be a true rival.
And peeps saying that playing for a division title with Utah must routinely be on the line for a rivalry to develop?? Pretty sure that's not the case for Stanford-Cal, Washington-Wazzu, Arizona-ASU, etc.

To me, SC is akin to ****braska when Mac pointed to them as our rival. His reasoning was to be the best, beat the best. SC is the No. 1 power in the Pac, IMO. I'd like to see them as our "rival." Problem is, like ****braska saw OU as their rival, SC views UCLA and/or Notre Dame as theirs.

To me, SC is akin to ****braska when Mac pointed to them as our rival. His reasoning was to be the best, beat the best. SC is the No. 1 power in the Pac, IMO. I'd like to see them as our "rival." Problem is, like ****braska saw OU as their rival, SC views UCLA and/or Notre Dame as theirs.
Do they really see UCLA as a rival? Don't they own a huge lead in the series?

To me, SC is akin to ****braska when Mac pointed to them as our rival. His reasoning was to be the best, beat the best. SC is the No. 1 power in the Pac, IMO. I'd like to see them as our "rival." Probl em is, like ****braska saw OU as their rival, SC views UCLA and/or Notre Dame as theirs.
The above was true until the BigXII formed and then the Oklahoma-*ebraska rivalry deteriorated since they were put into different divisions. CU basically filled the void at that point.

Them and Notre Dame.

And Stanford after that. That one could be supplanted, especially if the Pac-12 moves away from all the CA schools playing each other every year.

Washington after that, based on who their traditional main challenger was in the Pac-10 for many years.

Probably the #1 reason why I hope it does not happen. It would just come off even more contrived than when Mac did it.

The above was true until the BigXII formed and then the Oklahoma-*ebraska rivalry deteriorated since they were put into different divisions. CU basically filled the void at that point.
Many a ****braska fan had a hard time letting go after the realignment.

And Stanford after that. That one could be supplanted, especially if the Pac-12 moves away from all the CA schools playing each other every year.

Washington after that, based on who their traditional main challenger was in the Pac-10 for many years.
How many ****ing rivals are you allowed?!

Not yet. Will become more so if our game continually decides the South Champ. I just do not see it over the long haul. I think the Buffs will be in the conversation more years moving forward than the Utes. I believe we will be fighting the CA schools for the championship which will create more of a rivalry feel. We will see. Still too soon to tell.

Sure is obvious that the Pac is trying to make it a rivalry given our game is always scheduled during "Rivalry Week."

I think it could be soon. If they stay competitive and we continue the rise it will naturally happen. We're the closest state and I'd like to believe the fans will travel well and over time there will be a natural hate for seeing their red everywhere.

How many ****ing rivals are you allowed?!

That's the thing, right? CU fans tend to look at what we had with Nebraska and say "that's what a rivalry is and anything less is not a rivalry".

It doesn't have to be that way and it's not really the norm.

Look at Washington, for example. They hate Oregon #1, but Wazzu and the Apple Cup is a legit rivalry. And they also will always get up for a USC game like crazy. That's 3 rivalry games that matter no matter what else is going on with the season.

We have that with Nebraska no matter how irregularly we will play. It's going to be like the Arkansas-Texas rivalry, rekindled every now & again and always meaningful when it happens.

We have that with CSU, whether we play them every year or not. It's a game we will always be up for and will draw a big crowd with lots of in-state attention.

I think Utah is there for a lot of reasons, though I acknowledge it's missing the passion right now to be a game that both fan bases will care about no matter how our respective seasons have gone. We're not quite there in terms of celebrating every loss, suspension, bad press and recruiting failure of Utah's. It currently falls short on what I'm sure most of us would consider the most important measures. But I do think it qualifies as a rivalry game.

Back