1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issue with Dish Network..

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by PhillyBuff, Oct 2, 2016.

1. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

I was tired of watching the PAC 12 Network in standard definition so I finally added dish network to my house....

So once the installer leaves, I play around with the dish.... Apparently the power button on the dish remote jams the signal for the Samsung TV remote. I can't use the Samsung TV remote to change the source or up the volume. Has anyone heard of this and what can I do? I have to unplug the TV for it to reset.... But this isnt acceptable...

Has anyone ever heard of this???

2. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

**** you.

3. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I don't have that issue, so I can't help. Sorry.

4. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

Never had that issue before. I would call and ask for a new remote, though.

5. buffgal

buffgal Club Member Club Member

I have Dish and my remote works fine with a Sony television. I use the Dish remote to change channels and volume. Yes, I would contact Dish.

6. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

there is usually an alternate channel setting for the remote so that they don't conflict. go to settings in the guide and see if you can find a way to change the remote settings. i had the issue, once, years ago, with a directv receiver.

and, now your sister really owes me.

7. lvbuff

lvbuff Well-Known Member

Get a new TV and quit whining.

8. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Move the weber grill to the other side of the room so its out of the way. Also, DBT wants his hoodie back. And that Rusty thing was so not ok.

9. Tea Rex

Tea Rex Club Member Club Member

If your remote is correctly paired to the TV you have no need for the TV remote. Do you have the Hopper system?

10. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I've had a weird issue. My surround sound in HD is really muted. I have to turn the volume to about 60% or so. If I go to an SD telecast, it about blows my speakers out. The Dish tech was baffled and just kind of blew it off.

11. PhillyBuff

Screw Rusty, I am a meateater.

SuperiorBuff and MiamiBuffs like this.
  12. PhillyBuff

That's the problem.... i have Comcast and dish on one tv.... The pairing of the remotes screwed this up....

I am on my 3rd hour of trying to fix this with Samsung and Dish people....

13. skibum

skibum Peed in your Cheerios. Club Member

There are 4 (or more now, it used to be 4) different "channels" the dish remote can use; change to another channel, and the problem should go away.

Also, the dish remote, when it's operating the dish receiver uses radio for its signal. Most TV remotes use infrared, and the dish remote supports IR when it's programmed for your TV. (so radio to control the satellite receiver, IR to control the TV.)

The dish remote usually has two power buttons, one that only turns on whatever piece of the system the selector is turned to, and a separate one to turn on the whole system (dish receiver, TV and, if you have a separate one, sound system). So if you have the remote set to "sat," one power button will just turn on the dish box, and the other one will try and turn everything on, if the remote is set to "tv" one will just turn on the TV and the other one will try and turn everything on, etc

If the problem happens when the remote is in sat mode and you press the power button that only turns on the dish box, that indicates that the TV also has a radio remote (which is really unusual), and so changing either the radio channel for the TV remote (if you can) or the dish remote should fix the problem.

If the problem only happens with the whole system power button, then the problem is with the IR programming of the dish remote. Easy solution is to not use that system power button on the dish remote, and turn on/off the TV with its own remote. Harder solution is to try to program different Samsung "codes" on the dish remote and see if a different one works without generating the same problem.

14. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

I had the same issue. Got one of those sound bars and it is perfect. TV is still in good shape, but think the sound was just starting to go.

15. King_George_XXIV_Rules

King_George_XXIV_Rules Well-Known Member

The audio output signals from the HD and SD channels are completely different. Your SD audio is likely a linear PCM 2.0 stereo signal, while the HD audio is probably a Dolby 5.1 signal split into 5 distinct audio subchannels plus the bass/subwoofer component. You'll get more power in the SD audio than the HD audio, so it doesn't require as much amplification. To put it another way, in the move Boogie Nights the character Buck Swoope mentions that it "kicks it up another.... three or four ... quads per channel... but that's technical talk....That doesn't really concern you".

OrangeBowl likes this.
  16. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

What's a subwoofer?

17. King_George_XXIV_Rules

King_George_XXIV_Rules Well-Known Member

Back in WWII the captain of a German U-boat always used to bring his pet pooch on long deployments, where groups of these ships known as wolfpacks, where they'd hunt allied shipping lanes. Those dogs were known as hundunters... translated to English... subwoofers.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    SuperiorBuff and FlatironsBuff like this.
  18. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

Quality right there. King George is off sammich duty.

19. Jalapeno

Jalapeno registered user Club Member

Why didn't the OP get Sling TV? I have Comcast's 150 mbps internet service and nothing else.