What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

It looks to me like we're moving to a traditional 3-4 base defense (long)

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Like nik said, we probably do have the personnel to run the 3-4 better than the 4-3, but is that what we want to run for the next few years? It certainly has it's perks and can be run with success, someone threw Michigan as an example, Notre Dame switched to the 3-4 this year as well and that turned out pretty well I think. Cal's 3-4 defense shut down the Oregon attack quite well.

Either way, as long as we pick one defense and recruit to that and stick with it, I'm down with whatever. If we could get an awesome zone blitzing super scheme going in college, great. If we stick with the basic 4-3, that's fine too. Just stick with one system please.

A size comparison for the 3-4 defense that is run in colleges:

ALABAMA
DE
Marcell Dareus 6-4 306
Undra Billingsley 6-2 269

NT Josh Chapman 6-1 310
Kerry Murphy 6-4 319

DE Luther Davis 6-3 279
Damion Square 6-3 284

OLB
Chavis Williams 6-4 223
Alex Watkins 6-3 232

ILB
Dont’a Hightower 6-4 260
Chris Jordan 6-3 232

ILB
Jerrell Harris 6-3 231
C.J. Mosley 6-2 225

OLB
Courtney Upshaw 6-2 263
Ed Stinson 6-4 252

CALIFORNIA
DE
Cameron Jordan 6-4 283
Ernest Owusu 6-4 267

NT
Derrick Hill 6-2 308
Aaron Tipoti 6-2 299

DE
Trevor Guyton 6-3 285
Deandre Coleman 6-6 306

OLB
Mychal Kendricks 6-0 241
Jarred Price 5-11 213

ILB
D.J. Holt 6-1 250
Robert Mullins 6-1 225

ILB
Mike Mohamed 6-3 245
J.P. Hurrell 6-4 220

OLB
Keith Browner 6-6 250
Ryan Davis 6-4 250

NOTRE DAME
DE
Ethan Johnson 6-4 285
Hafis Williams 6-1 285

NT
Ian Williams 6-2 305
Sean Cwynar 6-4 280

DE
Karpon Lewis-Moore 6-4 283
Emeka Nwankwo 6-4 290

OLB
Darius Fleming 6-2 247
Prince Shembo 6-2 243

ILB
Brian Smith 6-3 243
Carlo Calabrese 6-1 240

ILB
Manti Te'o 6-2 245
Anthony McDonald 6-2 238

OLB
Kerry Neal 6-2 245
Steve Filer 6-3 235

Last edited:
An article from last fall about college teams looking at the 3-4

More teams turning to 3-4 defense

Quote from Brian Kelly

"I think what we need to see more than anything else from our defense is the ability to stop the run on a consistent basis," Kelly said. "Your inside [line]backers have got to be able to press guards; they've got to do a great job there. I know we can bring pressure from the edge with our athletes. We've got to be able to hold up inside out."

Our two biggest LB's at the moment are Doug Rippy and Liloa Nobriga. If Major can play inside and Daigh and Greer can also develop there, then we have a chance. Our lack of big-bodied MLB types could be exposed. We seem to have plenty of "tweener" WOLB pass-rush types (West, Uzo-Diribe, Parker, Hartigan) and plenty of SOLB cover-LB types (Major, Webb, Williams, Mahnke, Tuumalo, Harlos) but the lack of "thumpers" in the middle is a concern.

This makes the move of Ahles to FB less likely that it signals a transition to the 3-4. Not that Ahles if the greatest ILB, but he was a good SLB (LIZ) for us at times and that position was pretty similar to what a 3-4 LB would be asked to do. Now, maybe he just is a great FB in the making and there is no connection?

People have been saying we have been in a 3-4 for the last couple years, and we weren't. Although i appreciate the hard work here by 'nik, I think it is unlikely. Brown is the guy running the D, and I see no evidence that this is anything he's worked up in the past. I do think that Brown had a big hand in our defense evolving under the last regime into that 4-3 that had a OLB lining up at DE and DE's often lining up at DT. It was not unusual last year to see the front four of Kasa, West, Ahles (or Uzo-Direbe) and BJ in on the same play. That gives you essentially 2 DE's in the middle and 5 LB's on the field. Or they would have that front with 3 LBs and extra DBs. Nebraska is running this stuff all the time. They are using 5-6 DBs and 3 LBs a lot.

The hiring of Tui and McGhee was more about relationships imo. Tui is a great recruiter of the Poly kids and can develop the core inside guys. McGhee is a guy that EB and JE wanted on staff. Period - they wanted him here and frankly, I think they know something about what it takes to be really good in this profession and they see that in Kanavis.

As for the recruits who think they were recruited to play in a 3-4, well, if they are being recruited to play that hybrid position of DE/OLB, then it most closely resembles the NFL's OLB position in the NFL. So that is what I'd tell the kid too, because it is a better description.

I have thought it would make more sense for Brown to have hired a DB coach, but I think he is going with the thought that he has 2 very experienced guys on the staff that he has worked with in Tui and Cabral and thus he has almost 3 co-DCs in a way.

Lastly, when was it announced that Richter was moving to DL? I saw a post on that on Rivals, but I don't take it as fact. Is it?

3-4 base is basically the Panther (Schembechler-Michigan) D that Coach Mac always ran. I was recruited to play the 5 and switched to O when we went to a 4-3 in Mac's last year. Everything old is new again. The great thing is that if you have solid and great inside backers with a good Nose you can do a lot of games and blitzing. This should be fun. Kasa will be an AWESOME 4-3 5 technique!

3-4 base is basically the Panther (Schembechler-Michigan) D that Coach Mac always ran. I was recruited to play the 5 and switched to O when we went to a 4-3 in Mac's last year. Everything old is new again. The great thing is that if you have solid and great inside backers with a good Nose you can do a lot of games and blitzing. This should be fun. Kasa will be an AWESOME 4-3 5 technique!

Nice info Wyo. But ya lost me -- what's the "5" ?

Mac's great teams were a 3-4 look, as others have observed, you gotta have the big guy to drop anchor in the middle. Are Richter, Bonsu, Goree and Obi really that body type?

Mac's great teams were a 3-4 look, as others have observed, you gotta have the big guy to drop anchor in the middle. Are Richter, Bonsu, Goree and Obi really that body type?

I say, bring back Brun-Dawg (Jeff Bruner). He still has one game left of eligibility at least. LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL..........ick me. By the way, no offense meant to anyone here. If you knew Bruner you know what I'm talking about. That guy was an AWESOME NG before he blew his knee.

Nice info Wyo. But ya lost me -- what's the "5" ?

Five technique is a term for where the DL usually lines up. A five is playing outside shoulder of the OT. A seven (the OLB) is outside shoulder of the TE (if present), and so on. Same thing in a 4-3, the DT is usually called the 2 because he is playing out side shoulder of the OG. Think numbering the gaps on the OL. Right Wyo?

Five technique is a term for where the DL usually lines up. A five is playing outside shoulder of the OT. A seven (the OLB) is outside shoulder of the TE (if present), and so on. Same thing in a 4-3, the DT is usually called the 2 because he is playing out side shoulder of the OG. Think numbering the gaps on the OL. Right Wyo?

LEFTY: You are close to right on everything but the 2. 2 is headup on guard. A 3 is Outside shoulder of guard. 1 is a NG shaded either side of the center with a 0 headup. 4 is headup to inside eye of tackle. It really isn't as much about gaps as position vis-a-vis the Olineman although you could conceptualize it that way.

LEFTY: You are close to right on everything but the 2. 2 is headup on guard. A 3 is Outside shoulder of guard. 1 is a NG shaded either side of the center with a 0 headup. 4 is headup to inside eye of tackle. It really isn't as much about gaps as position vis-a-vis the Olineman although you could conceptualize it that way.

I played a little 2, but my coach always called it outside shade of the guard...I have to admit I had no freaking Idea what he meant, so I lined up more or less on the outside shoulder of the OG....maybe my coach didn't know either, which is entirely possible. We went odd front on occasion and I shifted to 5 (I guess I wasn't NG material) and later I switched to 7 when I got taller, but then the whole D that year was a base 4-3. This was all HS in TX so I doubt it was anywhere near what you guys did at the D1 level.....

I say, bring back Brun-Dawg (Jeff Bruner). He still has one game left of eligibility at least. LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL..........ick me. By the way, no offense meant to anyone here. If you knew Bruner you know what I'm talking about. That guy was an AWESOME NG before he blew his knee.
Better than Steed in your opinion?

I played a little 2, but my coach always called it outside shade of the guard...I have to admit I had no freaking Idea what he meant, so I lined up more or less on the outside shoulder of the OG....maybe my coach didn't know either, which is entirely possible. We went odd front on occasion and I shifted to 5 (I guess I wasn't NG material) and later I switched to 7 when I got taller, but then the whole D that year was a base 4-3. This was all HS in TX so I doubt it was anywhere near what you guys did at the D1 level.....

Is the same coach that went for two every time? Or wait, did he onside for every kickoff. There some special teams quirk for your HS coach, if I remember correctly.

Better than Steed in your opinion?

I can't recall if Wyo and steed chewed the same turf. Steed was the strongest human I've ever been around. Bruner was a beast though, came in as a fullback, switched to D-line after his frosh year.

Well if he sucked as a 1 gap DT or DE hes really going to suck as a 3-4 DE. You guys know more than me but wasnt he supposed to be a athletic DE with a monster wing span? I was hoping he could be a poor mans Julius Peppers for us.

I wouldn't say he sucked

defensive-alignment-techniques-gaps.jpg

3-4.png

Last edited:
Is the same coach that went for two every time? Or wait, did he onside for every kickoff. There some special teams quirk for your HS coach, if I remember correctly.

Lol, you have a pretty good memory...yep, same guy, he went for two after the first TD we scored...no matter what. We never learned the Double Eagle Bear defense, I feel cheated....

I can't recall if Wyo and steed chewed the same turf. Steed was the strongest human I've ever been around. Bruner was a beast though, came in as a fullback, switched to D-line after his frosh year.

Nope. You are right Fla. Steed left the year before I got to Boulder. Brundawg was my first "mentor" since I was playing NG and 5 technique. My days on D ended when they switched to the 4-3 and moved me to left tackle. I think my GPA was too high to play d-line anyway (Ryan Olsen excepted).

Regardless of what style of D the Buffs end up playing this year, their going to be up against some offenses that are fairly prolific. Developing defensive depth where guys can step in and make plays will be critical.

Huge is that avatar real or did someone photo shop a Buffs Shirt on Cartman? I know they went to school in Boulder but it never seemed like they were to proud of that.

Huge is that avatar real or did someone photo shop a Buffs Shirt on Cartman? I know they went to school in Boulder but it never seemed like they were to proud of that.

Here y'go.

[video=youtube;LD2q87y6tF8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD2q87y6tF8[/video]

Matt and Trey were in the Spring of 93 class. I see a lot of CU/Boulder and anti-nebraska humor sprinkled into their work.

I found it on the photobucket web site a few years ago and borrowed it (for good) just to use here. And yes they were proud of it. Good one Wally!!!

Ah yes I remember that one. You all are right they are proud. They just have so many anti hippie and anti liberal douche themes it is obvious that they had some disdain for boulder and I translated that to CU.

Well, it made sense based on the info we had back in February. I'm glad to see we made the move.

Back