1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It needs to be the Collier show at PG

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Buffnik, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

We know what we've got with the rest of the candidates.

Ski's better in his role as a gunner and sometimes distributor from the 2.

Making that switch will do him good.

And no one else is gonna get it done at the 1 this year. Tad needs to start the process of increasing Dom's minutes with the AFA game and baptize him by fire over the next month to get him ready for Pac-12 play.

2. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Yes. Or at least.... better than the alternatives

3. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I'd make sure he's completely healthy first. But, yeah.

4. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

He looked really good on defense.

5. CitizenKane

CitizenKane Club Member Club Member

I agree that he should start, after all you know what you have and what you don't have with the others. At least Dom may progress and get better by starting. That being said, I assume you were joking about his defense. He got lost in screens at least twice and got fried taking a risk that he shouldn't have taken. Though, only time will help him there too. None of CU's guards looked good against those soon to be first round draft pick guards from Wyoming.

6. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Was that in the 2nd half. I really focused on him in the first half and his d looked great there.

7. CitizenKane

CitizenKane Club Member Club Member

Yes, it was in the second half, when it was falling apart for everyone on the floor. His missed steal that lead to an open three in the corner was probably him pressing trying to make something happen. Getting caught on screens against guys who are actually sprinting through their cuts without the ball can happen...but I think his D will likely be typical freshman D. Would be worth it if he can provide some assists and points.

8. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

It has to be. Even if, god forbid, we sacrifice a tiny piece of defense in order to score more than 33 points. We're headed straight for bubble-land and a mediocre resume if we don't get point guard play improved.

9. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

Collier looks the part. His first couple minutes I already felt more comfortable with the ball in his hands than anyone else.

10. rolandftw

rolandftw Club Member Club Member

Hate to agree, but it's pretty obvious this is the case

11. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

I haven't watched a game just listened and not really even to who was calling the game, just the action. It seems Ski is trying to be an All American instead of just playing basketball. Am I off base on that? He just needs to be him and not press. The rest of that **** will take care of itself. I'm fine with starting DC, he hit 2 straight 3s when I was trying to listen to both games, torturing myself.

12. CVilleBuff

Ski being a point guard gives us the worst of both worlds: He isn't a point guard and we lose the 2 guard Ski who can blow open a game (no guarantee, but a marginally decent PG feeding him would greatly improve his chances).

Talton can't be giving us 0 points and 1 assist in 29 minutes. I was hoping his disappearing act was a thing of the past, obviously it's not.

Collier will have his growing pains, but he seems to have a poise we so badly need.

UVA was in this exact position last year with some horrible early performances. Then a true freshman named London Perrantes was slowly fed more and more minutes and excelled. You may recall they ended up winning the ACC regular season and tournament titles and were a 1 seed. I'm hardly saying this is what awaits us, but let's go with Dom. Worst case we struggle but get him valuable youth experience. Best case we find ourselves a PG and take off.

Hoops Fan and whatthebuff like this.
  13. BuffLuKe

I remember and agree. Ski doesn't fit that bill, let him do what he does. He'll give us JR Smith moments but that's his game. Let DC start, he's a point.

14. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

Collier looks like he could be a star. The only player last night who seemed to play well on both ends.

15. JPinCO

JPinCO VP of Quantified Self Club Member

Agreed- give Dom the rock and let him adapt to the college PG position from now until January.

However, you guys are going to wig out when Ski starts and plays most of the next game. Tad's been very reluctant to give up on him.

16. Darth Snow

Uhhh, explain. Or do you actually think Dom would come in for Ski instead of talton?

17. JPinCO

Well, it's more a function of 'do you like apples, or do you like oranges'.. Seems like there's a movement to put Ski on the bench and play DC more. Whenever Ski is in, he seems to dominate the ball control even when Talton or Stalzer is on point. I don't think DC has the freedom to create his own shots and distribute when Ski is in the game. I just don't see the two of them being compatible on the court at the same time. I think it's Talton + Ski, or Dom + Jaron. I'd pick the latter, but I think Tad will still chose the former.

18. Darth Snow

What movement to sit ski?

19. wyobuff

wyobuff Well-Known Member

I thought dom played well yesterday considering it was his first college out in a very hostile environment. I think a move with him getting more minutes at the 1 and ski playing off guard is at least worth a try. XT can come in and be back up point and be a solid guy. He wont make any mistakes and he probably wont go off for 15, but he'll be solid and wont burn us.

20. JPinCO

You want it to be Dom's show, that means Ski's show takes a back seat IMO. And that means fewer Ski minutes, which usually = more bench time.

21. Darth Snow

So there is no movement, it's just what you think? I'm confused here.

As for Dom getting minutes means Ski gets less, not really. It will significantly affect the minutes of Jhop & XT tho.

22. BuffLuKe

Make this simple start DC, let Ski freelance, that's what he does anyway. There's nothing wrong with trying it.

23. JPinCO

So you think Ski's stat line this year is atrocious because of XT? That he just needs Dom in there to feed him so he can take more ill-advised shots? Ooookaay. I've attached that stat line for reference.

You agreed at the beginning of this thread that Dom needs to play a more prominent role, as did more than a few others. Apparently you see Dom and Ski sharing minutes well, and I don't.

Attached Files:

24. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I don't think there is any doubt that Tad intends to work Dom into a featured roll by league play. It's up to Dom to dictate how quickly that happens. No doubt to me that Tad sure as hell wants him to take the bull by the horns and be the guy.

25. Eggon

Eggon Club Member Club Member

Agree. Would rather see us skip Ski being a mediocre point. It has him twisted in bunches. Just not himself. Wants to help, but not good being the distributor. Sixth man or our designated shooter..... better fit.

We are going to see a lot of teams clog up the middle against us. CU must develop better ball movement, and on court player rotation. Guys working hard to get open, making that third and fourth pass (exactly what Wyo did and it was pretty to watch sorry to say...) to create the open look.

Ski is a shooter. He is not a natural distributor or true PG. Currently he is in no mans land, fish out of water. I think Tad will adjust the roles a bit.

26. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

Agree Nik, we need to get Dom the minutes to get him ready as quickly as possible. He is the natural point and they need to get him there asap.

27. Darth Snow

And you want to see xt get those minutes?

28. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I didn't see the WYO game. I'm assuming there was a lot wrong in a lot of places. Was XT a real liability? I thought he played pretty well in the first two games.

29. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

He was a liability, but then again so was everyone

30. CVilleBuff

Even if you only have 1 turnover, you're a liability when you get 30 minutes of play and give us 0 points on 0/4 shooting and just 1 assist. XT completely regressing was a key component of many to choose from in this debacle.