What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

It's Dillon's time

Just let Nembot line up under center every snap and push forward for a few yards. It'd be a net improvement over our current scheme/philosophy/talent.

If he's any good, you won't see his 5th year here... Nope, he'll be surrounded by pig crap and off to something else.
If he truly is the best we got, playing him now is our best chance to look like an up and coming program in 2013.
Throwing him into 2013 and suffering thru the new-guy mistakes is pointless.
We will have a crappy 2013 class after this season. If you add in a crappy 2014 class to that, he will have no help in 2016.

The last thing I give a crap about if I'm Embree is 2016. If I believe in Dillon. He is playing a few series.
I would use EXACTLY the script that the Utah coach is using. He decided in August to use Wilson here and there. Even before Wynn went down.

Take a look at how skinny Wilson is. Same as Dillon. They are using a little bit of 2012 to be ready for 2013. Nobody needs to focus on 2013 like Embree does. 2016 may as well be 2058 to Embree. Plus, lots of other stuff changes. Sefo could just plain take his job by then. Nobody knows.

Staff should be focused on getting better each week but with an eye to next year.

If he's any good, you won't see his 5th year here... Nope, he'll be surrounded by pig crap and off to something else.
If he truly is the best we got, playing him now is our best chance to look like an up and coming program in 2013.
We will have a crappy 2013 class after this season. If you add in a crappy 2014 class to that, he will have no help in 2016.

The last thing I give a crap about if I'm Embree is 2016. If I believe in Dillon. He is playing a few series.
I would use EXACTLY the script that the Utah coach is using. He decided in August to use Wilson here and there. Even before Wynn went down.

Take a look at how skinny Wilson is. Same as Dillon. They are using a little bit of 2012 to be ready for 2013. Nobody needs to focus on 2013 like Embree does. 2016 may as well be 2058 to Embree. Plus, lots of other stuff changes. Sefo could just plain take his job by then. Nobody knows.

Staff should be focused on getting better each week but with an eye to next year.

Good points. I just don't see that he'd be able to come in at this point and help us look like an up and coming program. I think he'd come in and make even more mistakes than Webb and probably get banged up in the process. Utah has a better team that can support a freshman QB. CU would be the opposite and I don't think it'd help recruiting at all to see Dillon get smashed like Webb is.

Considering we're going to get banged by 4 of the next 6 teams, I'd rather just save Dillon. But that's me, I'm not a desperate coach on a hot seat.

you want to get him more injured while repairing his shoulder? If Embree has him play than I will adamantly join the "fire him" crowd.

The only way I would play him would be:

#1 - he has 100% medical clearance

#2 - he will give the Buffs the absolute best chance to win football games.

Since I don't think he has #1, I wouldn't even get to the issue of #2.

Rome was built over thousands of years... I would like to be good in my lifetime. For the record I am against pulling his red shirt. The arguement that if he is any good he will be gone is 4 years is not a good one. There are plenty of great QB's that have stayed for their senior year. Probably more than those who haven't.

A very very small % of college quarterbacks come out early for the NFL. Given the numbers, it's highly unlikely Dillon is one of those guys in a few years. Possible, but highly unlikely. I don't think the "risk" of him leaving early should be a factor in this decision. If he plays this year, highly likely you have him for three more. That's a long time.

A very very small % of college quarterbacks come out early for the NFL. Given the numbers, it's highly unlikely Dillon is one of those guys in a few years. Possible, but highly unlikely. I don't think the "risk" of him leaving early should be a factor in this decision. If he plays this year, highly likely you have him for three more. That's a long time.
Walter. He is still recovering from shoulder surgery, for one thing. But why, oh why, would we burn a redshirt year half way through a lost season?

Agree 100%. Embree's back is against the wall. His only option is to play for 2013 right now. So if Dillon is your guy, you play him now. Risking 2013, and by extension your career, to break in a redshirt freshman who has never taken a college snap is career suicide.

Just ask Barnett and Hawkins about being blacklisted from college ball. And they actually had some success. Embree has been atrocious and will be staring at a life as a nfl tight ends coach.

Pull Dillon's shirt and play 100% him downs.

Last edited:
I never said Dillon would be leaving for the NFL in year 5!

I said:

IF in fact he is our best QB for next year AND
IF in fact he will be playing his first snaps next year THEN
We will not be as ready for 2013 as we could be. If that costs us some dear wins (God knows they won't be easy to come by next year either), that will have a big impact on Shane's 2015 and 2016 due to suck-ass recruiting.

This then translates into a stinky 2013
Which translates into Embree and staff being fired

So if you hold Dillon back and keep that dear Redshirt on his back, he will be surrounded by the classes of 2013/2014 (which is exactly the talent level our upperclasses have right now). It will be IRRELEVANT.

He will have options including these possibilities:
1. NFL
2. Grad School (perhaps at another program)
3. Getting on with his post CU life.

If Dillon makes you better in 2013 - you start playing him now. There is no reason for Embree to be thinking about 2016. Shane will be a better player sooner than later by playing. I'm not suggesting throw him in there against USC as the starter. I'm saying, get him some time in games that are out of reach to start with.

For God's sake, we may be running the spread or wishbone in Shane's Jr year at this pace. If he is the "chosen one" - then start prepping him NOW to pull us out of this cesspool of losing.

Many, many colleges groom their future QB by giving them some PT during their true Frosh year for no other reason. It's called player development.

I agree that many many programs groom future QB's by giving them playing time at meaningful times in games.

But most of those teams do that from game 1. They don't pull a redshirt off a talented true freshman in game 7.

Many, many colleges groom their future QB by giving them some PT during their true Frosh year for no other reason. It's called player development.

Pinkel did it at Mizzou with Chase Daniel. Daniel played the first drive of the 2nd or 3rd quarter of every game. I believe he was ridiculed for pulling Brad Smith. Turned out pretty well for Pinkel.

Best thing for the program long term: keep redshirt on
Best thing for Embree in the short term: remove redshirt and begin preparing for next year

Can we at least see Wood throws a few more passes before we completely give up on him as well? I mean, he has thrown a total of 16 passes in his career. I get that it wasn't pretty, and obviously practice must not be stellar either, but we could try working with him and developing him before just admitting failure.

Best thing for the program long term: keep redshirt on
Best thing for Embree in the short term: remove redshirt and begin preparing for next year

Can we at least see Wood throws a few more passes before we completely give up on him as well? I mean, he has thrown a total of 16 passes in his career. I get that it wasn't pretty, and obviously practice must not be stellar either, but we could try working with him and developing him before just admitting failure.

Agree....I am decently sure Wood isn't the answer but I am 100% sure that Webb is not.

Walter. He is still recovering from shoulder surgery, for one thing. But why, oh why, would we burn a redshirt year half way through a lost season?

If he is truly injured, then don't play him. No question about that; case closed. But if he's not, I'd run him out there. Burning a redshirt is likely not a big deal. The hit rate on quarterbacks is very low. Look at Connor Wood and others. The "cost" of burnign a shirt is not that high to me. I'm not a big fan of "building for the future". Absolutely nothing is guaranteed. Players are always coming and going. It's the nature of college sports. Do whatever you can do to win now. Let tomorrow take care of tomorrow.

yank the shirt, if he is healthy, and let him get some experience. The way qb's come and go. Look at CU's qb history? Sefo is going to be more ready to play as soon as he gets here. Recruits look at depth charts and do not want to come to a school where there are tons of young kids in front of them. Let him take his knocks now and he will be better prepared to compete next year. The coaches will have the same excuse next year if he gets no play time this season "Our Qb is young and inexperienced" I can hear it already... I say you have 4 to 5 years when you show up on campus...PLAY THE BEST PLAYERS !! I also am a firm believer in you get better by playing not standing on an emotionless losing sideline

Well - I guess Embo isn't ready to annoit Dillon as next year's guy. Appears healthy enough to run scout team.

From some notes in the linked article at the bottom, one fan paraphrasing comments attributed to Embree on his Buffs Primetime show last night:

"Wood's had rib injury nagging. He is #2 and not far off from Webb in Embo's assessment. They'd like to get him in there more, but.... hurt ribs have made that tough. "

As to Hirsch, and I'll try to quote "there's a significant drop off from Jordan to Nick" but we're getting him in there all the same, because he has to get reps too."

And, as to Dillon "he's doing great on our Scout team" - "he's got great size, but needs to bulk up. I told him he's not a swimsuit model. He's in the meetings w/ the QBs, etc. so he's learning. He won't be at their level of knowledge of the system next year, but..." (paraphrased)

http://www.buffzone.com/cu-news/ci_21786980/thorburn-cu-buffs-need-dynamic-qb-compete

Last edited:
I have heard for a few weeks that Wood was allegedly injured.

When was he injured?
Practice right before the WSU game.

And as for Dillon - Don't **** with shoulder injuries. Those are things you gotta really be careful with, or they last with you forever. I know this from personal experience. The last thing that shoulder needs is to be crushed by a 300 pound USC DL.

You people who are saying burn the shirt are out of your damn minds. Do you really, honestly think that having Dillon (who by all accounts has practiced little to none) in rather than Webb/Wood/Hirschman is going to be anywhere near the difference between wins AT USC, AT Oregon, or home against Stanford? Be realistic. There are holes all over the place on this team. Changing quarterbacks isn't going to make the receivers any faster, or make the O-Line more capable of blocking. You're calling for Embree to play the best players, but if someone is hurt and hasn't practiced all year, how the hell are they the best player/most capable of winning a game? You think he's going to come in and automatically gel with the rest of the team and be that one missing piece that pushes us over the edge? Does he have magical powers that none of us were made aware of by the recruiting sites? Is he Harry ****ing Potter?

I can understand the experience angle, but his best chance at getting better right now is getting that experience learning the playbook on the practice field where he isn't getting crushed by defenders who are looking to make highlight reel sacks against a line that blocks like my grandmother.

Fortunately for all of us, Coach Embree is more football-intelligent than you fools, whether you want to believe that or not, and will not be burning his freshman quarterback's redshirt for half a season of meaningless football against the toughest opponents on our schedule.

Jesus. I can't even believe this is a ****ing conversation on this board.

And as for Dillon - Don't **** with shoulder injuries. Those are things you gotta really be careful with, or they last with you forever. I know this from personal experience. The last thing that shoulder needs is to be crushed by a 300 pound USC DL.

How did he get hurt at practice?

Are QB's going live (with contact) at practice?

If he had been healthy at the start of the season, it should have happened. Let it go now.

We're dead last in the nation in sacks per game given up. Now is not the time to put in a bean pole trule freshman with a bum shoulder.

You people who are saying burn the shirt are out of your damn minds. Do you really, honestly think that having Dillon (who by all accounts has practiced little to none) in rather than Webb/Wood/Hirschman is going to be anywhere near the difference between wins AT USC, AT Oregon, or home against Stanford? Be realistic. There are holes all over the place on this team. Changing quarterbacks isn't going to make the receivers any faster, or make the O-Line more capable of blocking. You're calling for Embree to play the best players, but if someone is hurt and hasn't practiced all year, how the hell are they the best player/most capable of winning a game? You think he's going to come in and automatically gel with the rest of the team and be that one missing piece that pushes us over the edge? Does he have magical powers that none of us were made aware of by the recruiting sites? Is he Harry ****ing Potter?

I can understand the experience angle, but his best chance at getting better right now is getting that experience learning the playbook on the practice field where he isn't getting crushed by defenders who are looking to make highlight reel sacks against a line that blocks like my grandmother.

Fortunately for all of us, Coach Embree is more football-intelligent than you fools, whether you want to believe that or not, and will not be burning his freshman quarterback's redshirt for half a season of meaningless football against the toughest opponents on our schedule.

Jesus. I can't even believe this is a ****ing conversation on this board.

not looking for wins this year-that ain't happening... Just looking for preparation for the future

We don't want to hear about your dating habits.

Back