What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ITT: We Discuss Students & Mike Bohn (For Some Reason)

There are reasons Bohn hired Hawkins. I may have made the same decisions that Bohn did -- including the extension. But those are reasons, not excuses. All they really mean is that I'd probably be a bad AD when it comes to hiring a football coach and that Bohn wasn't any better.

There are reasons Bohn hired Hawkins. I may have made the same decisions that Bohn did -- including the extension. But those are reasons, not excuses. All they really mean is that I'd probably be a bad AD when it comes to hiring a football coach and that Bohn wasn't any better.
I'm certainly not making excuses, I've said he deserved to be accountable and I had no problem with him getting fired.

The students got free stuff for showing up before. Period. That is why the one that are missing this year, showed up last year.

Unfortunately Boulder has a reputation for being complacent when it comes to its sports teams. Hell, even "Buff Man" has said before that once he graduates he probably won't be a season ticket holder. We will eventually build a rabid fan base that packs the rafters for every game, but we are not there yet. There are about 1k die-hards and the rest show up if there is nothing else to do.

The snow and mid term week provided many students with other things to do this last week.

The students got free stuff for showing up before. Period. That is why the one that are missing this year, showed up last year.

Unfortunately Boulder has a reputation for being complacent when it comes to its sports teams. Hell, even "Buff Man" has said before that once he graduates he probably won't be a season ticket holder. We will eventually build a rabid fan base that packs the rafters for every game, but we are not there yet. There are about 1k die-hards and the rest show up if there is nothing else to do.

The snow and mid term week provided many students with other things to do this last week.
Half my CU apparel is from free stuff at basketball games, but there's a big difference between an all expenses trip to Vegas or LA versus a free t-shirt, slice of pizza, or a burrito.

It takes time to build up a program. I couldn't believe they sold out season tix this fast. Kentucky didn't become Kentucky overnight.

I think it's hard for many of us being diehards to realize, some have other priorities. I wish everyone cared as much about the Buffs as I did but that's not possible.

The biggest issue I have with Bohn getting fired was the timing of it. You don't let someone make another coaching hire and then fire the AD a few weeks later.

Other programs also didn't give their students the kind of support and free stuff that ours has over the past few years. I understand other have priorities, but there is also something to be said about loyalty to a program that is having a rough time right now financially and cannot afford to do those things. If the students only came to the games for a free shirt, or a free hoodie, or a free burrito then good riddance.

The biggest issue I have with Bohn getting fired was the timing of it. You don't let someone make another coaching hire and then fire the AD a few weeks later.
It was a half-a-year later, but I agree with you there. He's getting fired primarily for football, why is he being allowed to find the next football coach? And for all of you who are going to say it's "business related reasons," that wouldn't be an issue if football was successful.

Reading between the lines, lack of confidence in Bohn's ability to hire coaches wasn't why he was fired.

No one reason for students not showing up as much as they have last few years. All of them have been covered here, but last night's game in particular probably had a lot to do with the epic snow totals in the mountains and the 3-4 hr delays on I70 heading east.

No one reason for students not showing up as much as they have last few years. All of them have been covered here, but last night's game in particular probably had a lot to do with the epic snow totals in the mountains and the 3-4 hr delays on I70 heading east.

I know we're CU, but honestly, I didn't know a ton of kids who went skiing all that often. Maybe more do now that they did when I was in school in the mid-90s but honestly, I can't imagine the epic snow really sent enough numbers from the student body to justify the lack of students we are seeing at the basketball games. It's not as if half of the campus leaves town for the weekends to ski/board.

I know we're CU, but honestly, I didn't know a ton of kids who went skiing all that often. Maybe more do now that they did when I was in school in the mid-90s but honestly, I can't imagine the epic snow really sent enough numbers from the student body to justify the lack of students we are seeing at the basketball games. It's not as if half of the campus leaves town for the weekends to ski/board.

Yeah. The bad student section attendance had a lot more to do with it being cold outside and not wanting to deal with it. Early in the year, the games weren't big enough to get excited about. Then, Spencer got hurt and CU basketball games stopped being an "event" with a ton of hype. The student section last night wasn't any different than what we saw over Xmas break. C-Unit tried with that lei promotion (I guess trying to be ironic about the weather), but it obviously fell flat.

I'm not buying any excuse for the lack of student involvement last night. None. It was a big game, at home, against a strong opponent. There are 30,000 undergrads at CU. I don't need all of them there, just a couple thousand. That's not too much to ask.

Reading between the lines, lack of confidence in Bohn's ability to hire coaches wasn't why he was fired.

Could be correct, but if Bohn hired coaches that had more success, you would think fundraising would be easier which seemed to be the major criticism of his tenure.

I averaged 50 days a year.

Could be correct, but if Bohn hired coaches that had more success, you would think fundraising would be easier which seemed to be the major criticism of his tenure.

Simply put, Benson started paying attention to athletics, he wasn't impressed by Bohn, and there were some things that went on that caused Phil not to have his back like he always did (Phil doesn't like to fire anyone).

I averaged 50 days a year.

And I'm sure you weren't alone in making the trek from Boulder up the Hill. I just don't find it to be an excuse to explain the dwindling numbers of the student section. Not THAT many CU students go skiing every weekend.

I'm sure Benson didn't foresee him totally furking up the coaching hire

I can get on board with that, I still think right when you hire a football coach isn't the time to fire him (before he even coaches a game). Dr. Phil even said he wanted CU athletics run more like a business. But still, he's not fired if football is going well IMO.

Yeah. The bad student section attendance had a lot more to do with it being cold outside and not wanting to deal with it. Early in the year, the games weren't big enough to get excited about. Then, Spencer got hurt and CU basketball games stopped being an "event" with a ton of hype. The student section last night wasn't any different than what we saw over Xmas break. C-Unit tried with that lei promotion (I guess trying to be ironic about the weather), but it obviously fell flat.
'Tini was tellings us earlier in the year how it was finals time and they would show up once conference play began. There's always some excuse -- too much homework, Broncos are playing, it's too cold out, etc. The truth of the matter is people would rather do other things than go to Coors and see the men's basketball team play. Nothing wrong with that, just shows you where people's priorities are.

'Tini was tellings us earlier in the year how it was finals time and they would show up once conference play began. There's always some excuse -- too much homework, Broncos are playing, it's too cold out, etc. The truth of the matter is people would rather do other things than go to Coors and see the men's basketball team play. Nothing wrong with that, just shows you where people's priorities are.
This really gets to the heart of it. The students have voted with their feet about what their priority is. Therefore, I really never want to hear from anyone ever again about how we have the best student section in the country, or that the school ought to think about moving the students out from behind the basket and onto the floor on the sideline. Frankly, we need to start discussing selling the back half of the student section as general admission. There was more demand than there was supply of tickets from the ticket buying public this year, and the school is going to make more money on the seats if they sell them to the general public. The students have demonstrated that for all but the biggest of games, they can only get about 1,500 students to a game. So be it. Sell the tickets to people who actually want to be there.

Seeing excuses on twitter about how the students don't have the administrative support they need is a total load of crap. The back half of the student section the past couple of years was bought with Mike Bohn's bribes. As soon as the bribery went away, those students found they suddenly had other things to do.

Reactions: aik
This really gets to the heart of it. The students have voted with their feet about what their priority is. Therefore, I really never want to hear from anyone ever again about how we have the best student section in the country, or that the school ought to think about moving the students out from behind the basket and onto the floor on the sideline. Frankly, we need to start discussing selling the back half of the student section as general admission. There was more demand than there was supply of tickets from the ticket buying public this year, and the school is going to make more money on the seats if they sell them to the general public. The students have demonstrated that for all but the biggest of games, they can only get about 1,500 students to a game. So be it. Sell the tickets to people who actually want to be there.

Seeing excuses on twitter about how the students don't have the administrative support they need is a total load of crap. The back half of the student section the past couple of years was bought with Mike Bohn's bribes. As soon as the bribery went away, those students found they suddenly had other things to do.
They did that at UNC I believe when they saw a lack of attendance from the students. It should be communicated to the students how there is a wait list and if they don't show, they'll sell seats to the general public.

I've already stated how I feel about my fellow students. We suck and it really bums me out when I am pumped to go to any game and the atmosphere isn't what it should be. I have went up skiing every weekend, but I plan around the basketball game. If there is a game Sunday I go Saturday etc.

Agree with what you are saying. At the same time we are talking about making a cultural change and that doesn't happen instantly. We are looking at a program that not long ago had a hard time getting 3,000 people total in the building much less a significant number of students.

Having a large contingent of students in the building makes the overall experience better for everyone. It is also where we build future fans and donors. If doing giveaways and promotions to get the students in the building has a significant payoff then maybe we should return to doing them until the new cultural norm allows them to be slowly reduced. This doesn't mean they have to send hundreds to the tourney again but if hats and t-shirts or bacon builds can keep it going until it becomes the norm in the future then do it.

I've already stated how I feel about my fellow students. We suck and it really bums me out when I am pumped to go to any game and the atmosphere isn't what it should be. I have went up skiing every weekend, but I plan around the basketball game. If there is a game Sunday I go Saturday etc.
Precisely. It is a matter of priorities. If it isn't a priority to a lot of them, that is fine, but don't expect a ticket to be there for you for a Kansas/Arizona game if you can't be bothered to show up for any other games. Don't try to drum up support to say you're the best student section in America when the huge swaths of embarrassingly empty seats in your section clearly state that you aren't.

We'll see what the excuse is for the Arizona State game...likely that it's just too late to come out on a Wednesday night.

Agree with what you are saying. At the same time we are talking about making a cultural change and that doesn't happen instantly. We are looking at a program that not long ago had a hard time getting 3,000 people total in the building much less a significant number of students.

Having a large contingent of students in the building makes the overall experience better for everyone. It is also where we build future fans and donors. If doing giveaways and promotions to get the students in the building has a significant payoff then maybe we should return to doing them until the new cultural norm allows them to be slowly reduced. This doesn't mean they have to send hundreds to the tourney again but if hats and t-shirts or bacon builds can keep it going until it becomes the norm in the future then do it.

I agree with you, and I'd rather they be there than not. However, we shouldn't be trying to bribe people who are obviously only coming for a freebie or prize when we have people who wanted to buy tickets but couldn't. Particularly with the cash problems the AD has, I'd rather cut out 500 of the student seats (behind the band, perhaps) and get some positive revenue rather than paying for the freebies it takes to convince students to carve out 2 hours of their day/night to support a top flight basketball program.

And I'm sure you weren't alone in making the trek from Boulder up the Hill. I just don't find it to be an excuse to explain the dwindling numbers of the student section. Not THAT many CU students go skiing every weekend.

It's not an excuse for the whole season and it's not even really an excuse for last night. Frankly, the kids can do whatever they want and no amount of whining on here will do anything about it. However, I'd imagine there would have been a couple more hundred kids last night if all the resorts didn't get 2-3 feet and i70 wasn't a complete wasteland yesterday. If you think that didn't have some hand in it then you're just being stubborn.

It's not an excuse for the whole season and it's not even really an excuse for last night. Frankly, the kids can do whatever they want and no amount of whining on here will do anything about it. However, I'd imagine there would have been a couple more hundred kids last night if all the resorts didn't get 2-3 feet and i70 wasn't a complete wasteland yesterday. If you think that didn't have some hand in it then you're just being stubborn.
I remember Ron Franklin saying on a telecast maybe 4-5 years ago that the reason basketball couldn't be big here was because of skiing. Yes, I think it plays a part in it, but when the KEG was rocking last year, they could've been on the slopes instead as well.

Precisely. It is a matter of priorities. If it isn't a priority to a lot of them, that is fine, but don't expect a ticket to be there for you for a Kansas/Arizona game if you can't be bothered to show up for any other games. Don't try to drum up support to say you're the best student section in America when the huge swaths of embarrassingly empty seats in your section clearly state that you aren't.

We'll see what the excuse is for the Arizona State game...likely that it's just too late to come out on a Wednesday night.

The students who are drumming up support are legitimately loyal fans. Why would you want them to stop drumming up support in any way possible? Do we have the best student section? No, but why hate on the ones who are actively trying to engage on social media where all young people can see.

I'd say over the last few years, there were quite a few games where the general attendance was lacking but the students brought the numbers. It's flipped this year. Could be a sign or it might not mean much in the long run.

I always like to sit in the student section anyway as I am a GA season ticket holder and it's more fun. If anyone is so concerned by the lack of numbers there and they don't have prime seats then I suggest you do the same. That is, unless you look over 35 although I've seen those people and they're generally rowdy fans so I can dig it.

I remember Ron Franklin saying on a telecast maybe 4-5 years ago that the reason basketball couldn't be big here was because of skiing. Yes, I think it plays a part in it, but when the KEG was rocking last year, they could've been on the slopes instead as well.

Look, I want to stress that I do not think it is a primary cause to the issue; however, a game at 6 pm on a Sunday after a major powder dump played a part. Also, last year was a decent ski season, but January and February were pretty dry. Two and three seasons ago were disasters in terms of the lack of snow. Again, not a major cause but it plays a part on games that occur during prime ski/travel times on weekends. And yes, I'm a major ski bum and most of my friends at CU were too

Ultimately, it's a combination of all the reasons that have been stated by the posters

Back