What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jack Harris and Daniel Munyer

Forget the abysmal depth at this point, but can we say that our starting five are at least average? We did see some improvement at the end of last year, but as a unit our starters did not look good to me. Is that strictly scheme and coaching? From a fan perspective I view our O-line as a below average starting unit (not singling anybody out here positively or negatively, but speaking to the entire staring five), with no depth (too much youth). We are going to need a miracle year on the injury front to be competitive.

I don't believe we can say anything about the OL as a unit. First, they were not physically fit entering the season, Blacken took an NFL approach to S&C, expecting the players knew what to do. Next, they played in an abysmal and complex NFL system for which they were not prepared or suited, thus they were always thinking instead of reacting (what's that Tuna quote about "playing fast" that HCMM loves?), which slowed them down and regularly created doubts and confusion about assignments. Then as the season wore on, they were misused, NFL-style #3: the 1's taking all the practice reps, effectively wearing them out (injuries as a result?) and the 2's and 3's not learning or developing much, except at the margins. Finally they were beaten down psychologically by the continual losing and WB's tirades; no spirit, no pride, just going through the motions, like most of the rest of the team.

I'll remain neutral on them until they get back to at least "ground zero" with the new staff. WB & Co. left a HUGE NFL-shaped crater, with the OL and DB's the most noticeable victims!

I don't believe we can say anything about the OL as a unit. First, they were not physically fit entering the season, Blacken took an NFL approach to S&C, expecting the players knew what to do. Next, they played in an abysmal and complex NFL system for which they were not prepared or suited, thus they were always thinking instead of reacting (what's that Tuna quote about "playing fast" that HCMM loves?), which slowed them down and regularly created doubts and confusion about assignments. Then as the season wore on, they were misused, NFL-style #3: the 1's taking all the practice reps, effectively wearing them out (injuries as a result?) and the 2's and 3's not learning or developing much, except at the margins. Finally they were beaten down psychologically by the continual losing and WB's tirades; no spirit, no pride, just going through the motions, like most of the rest of the team.

I'll remain neutral on them until they get back to at least "ground zero" with the new staff. WB & Co. left a HUGE NFL-shaped crater, with the OL and DB's the most noticeable victims!

Not sure about the tone but the underlying premise here is basically what I believe to be true. The issue with OL is that you literally are only as good as your weakest player. One missed assignment or physical blunder and an entire play gets blown up. Continuity, simplicity and the resulting instinctive muscle memory are the keys. If these guys can stay healthy, play the same positions and become instinctive regarding the offense rather than reactive, they can be successful. The key is always reps, reps, reps. I would love to see them have a simple zone-based running scheme and a lot more slide-protection in the passing game. Then you let these hard-working and intelligent young men have fun and play football rather than worrying about missed assignments or playing all of the line positions. I suspect the MacIntyre's philosophy overall will be conducive to this and if we can stay relatively healthy, I believe you may be surprised by the increase in performance by this OL.

Back