1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jalen Rose talks about what its like to get recruited

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Recruiting Central' started by GoBuffs!!, Dec 19, 2013.

1. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

[video=youtube;lerGlPhKsUI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lerGlPhKsUI[/video]

SIAP, but this is pretty interesting to hear what he has to say, and how often it happens.

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Shocking.

And to think that CU went through a national scandal that had recruits drinking and getting laid while on official visits as a centerpiece. Such hypocrisy that anyone in the media or with any connection to college life feigned shock & outrage at those reports.

3. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Dont we already know the Fab-5 recruiting was dirty as hell and involved piles of money and NCAA violations?

4. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

I got a first hand look when I was 18 as I grew up with the #1 QB in the country in the early 1980s. He's famous, and I got the stories.

But don't kid yourselves if you think that CU's problem mentioned by Buffnik above is not still hampering recruiting efforts at CU. Think again.

5. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

And we wonder why our recruiting dropped off when Barnett actively chose to make short and boring recruiting visits - much of it self-imposed, not mandated.

I know he did it in part because he was so angry at the Ochs and Houston primadonna situations, but still - just not smart - and the beginning of our current state of talent.

6. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

It's just getting your hand caught in the cookie jar, I said that at the time. I don't think Jonathan Martin is the first player to get "bullied" either.

7. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

I talked to Barnett about that for a school project (he couldn't have been any more gracious btw). This was almost a decade ago so I don't remember the exact details, but he told me how he hated the restrictions but they didn't have a choice. His one regret in the whole thing was the Katie Hnida comment, but he made a point to say he was quoted out of context, but he wish he hadn't made "the girl" comment.

8. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Get a 30 on your ACT. Holy **** that dude is dumb. A 30 is only the 95th percentile. Try a perfect score if you want schools to come knocking.

9. lawdogg

lawdogg Club Member Club Member

His point isn't diminished but your disdain for the man is duly noted.

10. tante

What are you trying to argue a 30 is a "talent" worthy score comparable to an elite basketball prospect? 150,000 kids get a 30 or better every year.

11. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

I don't think he's dumb, maybe he's not an expert at scholastic scores. Being an east coaster, I'm not as familiar with the ACTs as I was the SATs, even though I took both tests.

12. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

I got a 32 and no one recruited me. :sad1:

13. lawdogg

I'm not trying to argue anything because I don't really have a large emotional investment in the topic. However, I think his statement is that talented people have advantages in life. While his analogy about intellectually talented people (with 30s on their ACT) may not have been the best, his point about the advantages that talent brings is far from controversial. Your previous post seemed to ignore his basic premise and focused on the inartful analogy, which made it seem like maybe you had something against Rose; hence my comment. If your primary takeaway from the interview is that Jalen Rose is dumb because a 30 ACT score is only the 95th percentile and you truly have no aught against him, then I guess I stand corrected.

14. tante

would it make you feel better about your life if I said Jalen Rose says dumb **** and doesn't know what he is talking about when it comes to academic talent?

15. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

Impressive. Especially for you.

16. dply

1.7 gpa!

17. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Dply keeps his cards close to the vest.

Semper Gumby

18. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

If Jalen Rose is dumb becuase of the 30 ACT score statement, I'd say that just about all of us have made a similar statement at some point.

I get what he's trying to say that people with Superior skills and talents are wined and dined. My cousin is a recipient of this. He worked hard no doubt, but he was recruited like crazy out of Wharton with his share of fancy dinners at various financial firms.

19. dply

I think I'm more honest with you guys than I am on facebook.

I really don't care. We can't all be lesbian models who have black belts and a master's degree in airline management.

20. lawdogg

Dude, you can say whatever you want about Jalen Rose or anybody else for that matter; you've got your big boy pants on. My life isn't impacted much at all by what you say about him. But this thread was about recruits getting special treatment during recruiting visits, that interview showing this was common practice, and how unfortunate it was that at CU our recruiting transgressions were so far blown out of proportions. Your comment just seemed so tangential to the topic at hand, that it kind of seemed like you were hating Rose. Again, feel free to hate on him as much as you want if that's how you want to live your life, I was just making an observation.

21. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I don't know what a good score is on standardized college entrance tests these days.

The SAT was 1600 max with 200 for signing your name and 2 sections back when I took it.

It has been irrelevant to my life since I filled out college aps over 20 years ago.

I guess I'm an idot.

22. tante

I am just commenting on something that came directly from his interview where he compares academic talent to athletic talent. When he doesn't even know how to define academic talent. I don't know how you found that so hateful.

23. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

Capture.JPG
    http://collegeapps.about.com/od/theact/a/ACT_Top_Public.htm

For the record, it is correct that a 30 wouldn't make you a mensa, but I am not surprised Jalen Rose didn't know that.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  24. tante

here are CU's numbers:

25%/75%

ACT Composite: 23 / 28

25. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

Speak for yourself.

26. lawdogg

But the implication is that because he incorrectly defines academic talent his underlying premise that talented people are afforded certain privileges should be discounted. That didn't make sense to me. So my original comment to you was that your observation, while correct, did not diminish what the guy was trying to say. The fact you felt the need to call him on a minor point that really wasn't at the heart of the discussion jumped out to me. Pretty dumb that this tangent has gotten this far though, so I'll gracefully bow out.

27. tante

You should bow out because you are arguing something that I never said. My point is he doesn't know what academic talent is or what opportunities they are afforded since he has no academic talent. Just like I am not telling him about what it is like to have basketball talent.

28. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

Bow out? :lol:

29. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

Why do I get the feeling we are that .1% thanks to the"scandal?"

30. The Monk

The Monk Club Member Club Member

It was that we had a dozen women claiming sexual assaults, including one on the football team, and that the administration ignored them, not that we sex and booze at some parties.