What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jerry Kill had another seizure today

My heart goes out to the individuals and the families that have to live with conditions like these. The hardest part is that there is no logic or reason to them.

It's a different thing when you can understand and lay or take some blame for the conditions. When somebody who has been a 3 pack a day smoker for 25 years gets lung cancer or someone who has had bad diet and no excercise for decades gets heart disease you can understand it even though you don't want or like it.

My understanding is that most of these conditions that cause the seizures cannot be tied to any cause and effect. They strike people without being able to understand any logical reason why and while they can sometimes be reduced or the severity be controlled there is no "cure."

That is why I am torn with Kill. If he can do the job is it fair to deny him the opportunity make that choice, at the same time does his condition have a negative impact on his ability to do the job fully and effectively. We can have our oppinions but how would you feel if he were a close family member and you knew and had seen how hard he worked to get to this point in his career only to potentially lose it to something completely beyond his control.

I'm glad I don't have to make the decision.

My sister is epileptic. We think it stemmed from a bout of Mono when she was around 14 years old. Something in the virus effected her brain, and epilepsy was the result. It really messed her up for a very long time. Thankfully, she's been able to work with some top flight doctors and they've finally gotten it under control. At one point, she actually had brain surgery to try to fix it - which didn't work.

I still refer to her as "my crazy sister". But I would never say that to her face. :lol:

I don't know what kind of seizures Kill has, but speaking from my own experience, at some point he is probably going to have to either quit or he's going to start having serious problems (besides seizures). It's pretty obvious that games and game-planning are triggers for him. Every time he has a seizure, he's running the risk of damaging brain cells. At some point he's going to have to avoid his triggers or he's going to have permanent brain damage. It's just a matter of time. Of course, there's also the risk of hurting himself in other ways, not the least of which is asphyxiating during a prolonged seizure.

Of course, he probably knows those risks and he's still doing what he loves. Can't really blame him for it. I don't think I'd make the same choice, but that's just me.

Back