What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jim Leavitt hired as new Colorado DC

May have been mentioned in one of the other 10 pages here or other threads but I just found my first complain about the 2 hires. Neither one appears to be using Twitter. Leavitt apparently quit around the time of the USF scandal while Tumpkin has a grand total of 30 Tweets.

To reach recruits, etc. these guys will have to step up their game. Much of our staff is pretty active on Twitter so they can show them the ropes.

FYI, at least Tumpkin has already updated his Twitter to show CU (except it says University of Colorado!)

I wonder what, if any, impact Leavitt will have on the W/L record next year. Is he, by himself, worth an extra 5-6 wins? I dunno. But there's little doubt in my mind that he and Tumkin (sp?) are upgrades over what we had the last two years.

A relatively minor improvement in last years' defense would have resulted in an extra 4-5 wins. I'm hoping the same can be said about 2015.

Who wakes up at 1:39?
Me. 2:50 actually. Was hard to get to sleep even at ten am knowing the luncheon was just two hours away. Happy with the hire. Looks like he was one of the top choices all along, so kudos to MM and RG for identifing who they wanted (top four choices) and landing them.

Who wants Pendergast now (assuming he was a one or two year rental)?

I like him a lot after watching his interview, and I think he's a great personality match, and actually we might have gotten a great steal (after reading his wiki page :nod: )

Last edited:
Am I wrong in stating that he's probably better than the four guys on the initial hot board?

The more I think about it, the more impressed I am. We need to send David Gibbs a thank-you card and a box of chocolates.

Great hire. I'm now a lot more excited for the season. Probably the best hire at coordinator since I've been a CU fan. Tumpkins looks like a solid hire too (perhaps he was the back-up plan in case Leavitt stayed in the NFL). Not sure we'll see a recruiting bump from these hires but I doubt any significant changes occur with that under MM

I like him a lot after watching his interview, and I think he's a great personality match, but I'm a little concerned with his limited DC experience after our last debacle with Bienemy.
Nothing like Bieniemy at all. Defensive background and intimately involved with gameplanning as a HC for a decade.

Great hire. I'm now a lot more excited for the season. Probably the best hire at coordinator since I've been a CU fan. Tumpkins looks like a solid hire too (perhaps he was the back-up plan in case Leavitt stayed in the NFL). Not sure we'll see a recruiting bump from these hires but I doubt any significant changes occur with that under MM

You're back! Glad to have the positive slider back (although I'm not one that ever had a problem with negative slider because I think I understood where you were coming from). It's a good day to be a Buff. We haven't seen many of those for quite some time, so it's even more fun to get one.

This is a homerun hire for MM. I"m really excited for the defense and the Buffs. Coach Leavitt is a good coach and a quality person. His hire and a bump in talent will serve the Buffs well. Hopefully, he can open more doors in Florida and get a pipeline running to Boulder.

This is a homerun hire for MM. I"m really excited for the defense and the Buffs. Coach Leavitt is a good coach and a quality person. His hire and a bump in talent will serve the Buffs well. Hopefully, he can open more doors in Florida and get a pipeline running to Boulder.

I wouldn't expect to pull much from FL. The SEC does a good job locking that state down, and FSU being good again doesn't help. Getting 1 here or there would be nice though.

Mike Bohn? The first rule about Allbuffs is not to talk about it. Later on is to not use Mike Bohn terms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a smalll portion who want to go out of state and Colorado could become very appealing as an out of state oasis.

Hey! I just wanted to say that I'm no less elated than I was when I last posted in this thread!

The-Office.gif

Gravy is good!

Seems like a great hire. Admittedly, I don't know much about him, but a solid resume. Now the question is, do we have enough talent?

I like the hire and is better than I expected. I think he will also be good for recruiting. It will be interesting to see how his personality will fit on this staff - he is really different in that area than the rest of the staff. In a good way.

This is a proven coach with an extremely positive track record. There's nothing to not like about this hire. A lot of folks on this site were talking about hiring Leavitt as head coach a few years ago. This is a better hire than we should have expected. Use any cliche you want to. This is very, very good.

Even after the relatively good class yesterday I was refusing to get excited - too much meh and burned too many times before. This changed that outlook. Back to excited and looking forward to Spring!

I was one of the many bashing CU in the 125+ page D Coordinator thread. After the amount of time spent and the fact that there was no news about what was happening had me convinced that we were getting some mid-major nobody.

This hire and the fact that they kept is so quiet is outstanding. It has been a long time since the AD and coaches got something right.

We need to recruit better players but at least I'm confident that they guys running things know what they are doing.

I've heard a 1,001 different reasons why they kept it quiet and delayed the announcement for so long. Was any hint as to why spilled at the luncheon or elsewhere at all? Seeing as Leavitt and the Niners were home for the playoffs and Harbaugh left the next day, seems like we could've had him on board much earlier to help with recruiting.

I've heard a 1,001 different reasons why they kept it quiet and delayed the announcement for so long. Was any hint as to why spilled at the luncheon or elsewhere at all? Seeing as Leavitt and the Niners were home for the playoffs and Harbaugh left the next day, seems like we could've had him on board much earlier to help with recruiting.
Logically, the only reason was that he was waiting to see if he could an NFL DC job or something along those lines.

Logically, the only reason was that he was waiting to see if he could an NFL DC job or something along those lines.

I can live with it-This class wasn't going to be on the same level as USC after last year any way you swing it. I think the great thing with this hire is that we swung for the fence and made a hire that will turn heads. Leavitt was a great head coach, and to compare him to Bob Stoops in terms of coordinator hires says a lot to me. Love the hire.

Back