What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jim McElwain is a goober

McElwain is a goober, but he's not a terrible coach. CSU lost to the better team yesterday. They were dominated in every statistical category, including score. I think that may be why he was so confuzzled at the post game presser. He truly was not expecting that. Against middle of the road MWC teams, they'll do fine. That is, unless, they let yesterday's game get inside their heads. His biggest coaching job now will be to get that game behind them. Don't let CU beat you more than once.

Historically they have let down the week after CU. Going on the road to Tulsa isn't going to be easy for them even if Tulsa is not a great team. The week after that they get Cal Poly who is FCS but ranked, we've seen this last week that those games aren't gimmees, especially if they struggle at Tulsa.

Then they get Bama. That could be what used to be called a body bag game. You have to wonder who will be left standing after that game. Even bamas 3rd and 4th strings are bigger and faster than CSU. If they are 0-4 or even 1-3 after Bama you have to wonder what they will have left.

CSU just upped his buy-out this offseason. It's like 3Mil in year 3 and 2mil in year 4. If McElwain doesn't work out, they could easily be playing in the new stadium with a new coach and minimal momentum.

CSU just upped his buy-out this offseason. It's like 3Mil in year 3 and 2mil in year 4. If McElwain doesn't work out, they could easily be playing in the new stadium with a new coach and minimal momentum.

As tax payers we should be pissed. Such an irresponsible decision.

If half of what people are syaing about McElwain and the mighty Jack Graham promising boosters that CSU would curb stomp CU and show unprecedented dominance this year combines with CSU opening 0-4 or 1-3, I'm not so sure that stadium will still be a sure thing.

Guys, the new CSU stadium is getting built. The RFP already has gone out and a construction company will be selected by like the 23rd of this month.

Guys, the new CSU stadium is getting built. The RFP already has gone out and a construction company will be selected by like the 23rd of this month.

I agree, Ft. Collins is in desperate need of a venue for Lady Gaga and weddings.

I have worked on enough projects to know that doesn't matter if there is no funding. Many projects get to that point and sit for years or never start. You have to have funding to move forward.

It's true, issuing an RFP means a project is a done deal. That's why you always see these elaborate events where the major stakeholders all gather in front of the media with hard hats on and simultaneously hit "SEND" on the email that officially launches the RFP. They wouldn't let you go through all that unless the funding was already in place.

They're steamrolling the new stadium, it'll open in 2016. There's a mural of it in CSU's new apparel store in downtown Fort Collins.

The town seems sharply divided, but it better work out or it'll bury CSU.

Also, where did you guys see Lady Gaga was coming to Fort Collins?! :lol:

The more they talk about this thing the more likely it seems like they are going to push it through, with or without any logical funding plan.

Unfortunately the end result is that the university and the taxpayers are going to end up eating millions of dollars for a white elephant that is rarely ever more than half full. Not only will this mean that other projects and academic pursuits will suffer but it will give more ammo to those who oppose college athletics in general making it harder for CU to advance projects, even when they do have a functional funding plan for them.

They're steamrolling the new stadium, it'll open in 2016. There's a mural of it in CSU's new apparel store in downtown Fort Collins.

The town seems sharply divided, but it better work out or it'll bury CSU.

Also, where did you guys see Lady Gaga was coming to Fort Collins?! :lol:

I'm not even going to ask how you know about the artwork inside a CSU apparel store. But out of curiosity, did you find it to be nicer than the fusker shop in Estes Park, or worse?

The Lady Gaga thing is a mockery of Lamb fans saying that the stadium was feasible because of all the money they could generate from events other than FB if it was on campus. Concerts were specifically mentioned, so was Lady Gaga. Apparently events such as Clancy and Minnie Prendergrast's 50th anniversary celebration, the Ethan Goldstein bar mitzvah and the FFA's annual square dance ho-down fund raiser can also expect to be staples of the facilities calendar and will help pay off the debt on days when 45,000+ screaming members of Ram Nation aren't rooting the team on toward a national title....

Much nicer than the NU store in Estes. Hughes Stadium is a dump.

anyone that has ever answered an RFP knows that they are just that, request for proposal. I've answered so many with my job that never go anywhere once they get the proposals and see the price tag from any of the responding vendors. I've seen the same company issue the same RFP 5 straight years and never actually move forward and award a contract.

I get the impression that part of the reason he was so butt hurt after the game (at least, even more than usual) is that he was basically promising everybody a win going into this game, and now completely had egg on his face. Should have remembered the saying: "Don't write a check with your mouth that your ass can't cash."

Jack Graham was also going all bonkers pointing to the scoreboard for the CSU section during the break after the end of the 3rd quarter. Bunch of small time jokers.

I know it is just one game, but I also can't think that this helps much with the stadium fundraising.

Last edited:
Every time I glance at this thread title, in my head I see:
Jim McElwain is a (knob) gobler.

Also, Kyle, if you don't mind my asking, are you a CU fan, a random poster, or what?

Every time I glance at this thread title, in my head I see:
Jim McElwain is a (knob) gobler.

Also, Kyle, if you don't mind my asking, are you a CU fan, a random poster, or what?

He introduced himself with credentials in his first thread/post. If you look at his profile and go to "threads started" you should be able to find it. I believe he's a journalist, but not Ringo.

He introduced himself with credentials in his first thread/post. If you look at his profile and go to "threads started" you should be able to find it. I believe he's a journalist, but not Ringo.

The first part of that statement creates a logical impossibility that makes the second part unnecessary.

I work the sports desk in Boulder, but live in Fort Collins. My wife has a much better job. Not really a fan per say of either Colorado team, but follow both. It's true I am not Kyle Ringo.

I have worked on enough projects to know that doesn't matter if there is no funding. Many projects get to that point and sit for years or never start. You have to have funding to move forward.
For a government project, at least with the Feds, you cannot solicit without the funding in place. I assume its the same for the State.

There are ways around this.
Yeah. If this is privately funded, which it is, the rules are different. This, I assume, is a private/public partnership with the Government providing the property and donations funding construction. Also, I can't believe they have a design done in such a short time. Is this a design/build or is the RFP for, say, only infrastructure or something?

Last edited:
Yeah. If this is privately funded, which it is, the rules are different. This, I assume, is a private/public partnership with the Government providing the property and donations funding construction. Also, I can't believe they have a design done in such a short time. Is this a design/build or is the RFP for, say, only infrastructure or something?

I really don't know. My best guess is that they have some architectural drawings of what they want to build, but haven't gone to actual construction drawings yet. Chances are that they're working with an architect who has done stadium design in the past and can give them a rough estimate of costs. They certainly aren't at a point where they can sign a construction contract yet.

Back