What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jim MF'n Leavitt

The Alabaster Yak

Club Member
Club Member
The man is simply a badass and deserves his own thread. RG and MM need to do whatever it takes to keep him at CU. Increase his salary, give him an "Assistant Head Coach" title, whatever it takes. His Twitter feed makes me want to run through a wall; I can't imagine how recruits feel when talking to him in person. I'm already fired up for the '16 season and the strides I think his defense will make, and I think he is really going to up this program's recruiting game for the 2017 cycle.

The most impressive thing about Leavitt is the sincerity. The passion and the energy never strike a false cord. McCartney is like that. The opposite of that was Hawkins who would try to come across this way and we'd all smell a little bull****.

Hey, I'll be in NY on Monday! Maybe we can have dinner together!!

We don't need to offer him anything more to stay here. He lives in the most beautiful place on earth. Haha.

Kidding aside, my gut feeling is that he is on a mission here. Not just a job. Not a stepping stone to a HC position. I think he is on a mission to reestablish CU to it's proper place among the football elite. I don't think he is spewing out sales pitch blather that most coaches do. I think he truly believes what he is saying and truly believes this program, under Mac, is the absolute best place these kids can commit to not just for football but, more importantly, to grow as men. He really believes what he is selling. I believe it too.

We don't need to offer him anything more to stay here. He lives in the most beautiful place on earth. Haha.

Kidding aside, my gut feeling is that he is on a mission here. Not just a job. Not a stepping stone to a HC position. I think he is on a mission to reestablish CU to it's proper place among the football elite. I don't think he is spewing out sales pitch blather that most coaches do. I think he truly believes what he is saying and truly believes this program, under Mac, is the absolute best place these kids can commit to not just for football but, more importantly, to grow as men. He really believes what he is selling. I believe it too.
Yeah. I think Mac is committed to and loves CU.

Do we know who he's visiting in NY and SLC? I've been trying to pay more attention to the football recruiting.

Do we know who he's visiting in NY and SLC? I've been trying to pay more attention to the football recruiting.

SLC I assume is to fly in for Pookie and Fua.

Hopefully Tupai, also, since he hasn't set visits after it looking like USC, UCLA or ASU. Leavitt needs to see if there's a chance of getting him to Boulder. I believe there is some question on academics and it may open up an opportunity if he gets a late test score.

For NY, my guess is OT Mike Arnold. Really good player who was committed to VA Tech last year out of Florida and then went prep school in NY (Milford Academy). Also at Milford is WR Kendrick Holland who is from Arnold's high school and also went up there after committing to VA Tech in the 2015 cycle. Both would be major steals if CU could bring them in.

Top 5 for Michigan DC. I am sorry, but he is CU's best coach. If I am Rick George, I take Jim Leavitt over Mike MacIntyre. MacIntyre's staff from when he arrived is being thinned out. Our best recruits are coming here due to Leavitt. MUST KEEP LEAVITT!!!
I'm sure RG and MM are well aware of the interest in JL, and I'm sure they have a good bead on the likelihood of him leaving. That said, I do agree with you that if it's between keeping MM as HC while losing JL as DC, and firing MM and promoting JL, I choose the latter.

Wonder if us playing meatchicken early in the season next year would give Leavitt more pause when considering whether or not to take that job.

The level of meltdown would be significant if he left. I don't think he will because I think he truly loves it here and is buying into the rebuild.

Wonder if us playing meatchicken early in the season next year would give Leavitt more pause when considering whether or not to take that job.

I sincerely doubt it. Michigan is an upgrade of a job probably from a money standpoint alone. And it re-unites him with whats believed to be a coach thats on the same tier, that top one, as Urban Meyer and Nick Saban. I think you take that job in that situation 9 times out of 10. I hope Im wrong.

It might also say something more about MM if he does take it rather quickly.

His departure for UM might also be a blessing in a way in that forces RGs hand. And maybe Leavitt comes back to us HC at the end of 2016.

I'm sure RG and MM are well aware of the interest in JL, and I'm sure they have a good bead on the likelihood of him leaving. That said, I do agree with you that if it's between keeping MM as HC while losing JL as DC, and firing MM and promoting JL, I choose the latter.

I hate to say I agree with you on this but I do. Too bad for MM if so. But he made that bed so he has to lie in it.

I hate to say I agree with you on this but I do. Too bad for MM if so. But he made that bed so he has to lie in it.
I think MM is a fine "CEO" type coach. I think he has done a great job with the overarching message, building a solid foundation, bringing a good culture to this program and raising the level of compete. It's an unenviable job (other than the $$) and I think he is building the program the right way. I give him all the credit for bringing in Tumpkin and Leavitt, but it's clear that those two have what it takes to recruit the type of kids we need, and losing them would be a huge step back.

This touches on something I have been thinking about re: MM recruiting.

What do people think about the fact that head coaches (as of a few years back) basically can't be on the road recruiting the way that they used to, due to the limitation of face to face contacts that a recruit is aloud to have with a HC....and the impact that has on the idea of promoting a guy like Leavitt to HC? He is obviously one of our best recruiters, but you promote him to HC, and that dynamic changes to some degree.

This touches on something I have been thinking about re: MM recruiting.

What do people think about the fact that head coaches (as of a few years back) basically can't be on the road recruiting the way that they used to, due to the limitation of face to face contacts that a recruit is aloud to have with a HC....and the impact that has on the idea of promoting a guy like Leavitt to HC? He is obviously one of our best recruiters, but you promote him to HC, and that dynamic changes to some degree.

The rule change does have an interesting impact as it places a higher value on assistants that can recruit thus making them more sought after and more expensive.

Is this why Harbaugh is interesting in JL? Is it because every living room he or one of his guys has been in JL has already been there and been spoken highly of? Hearing about other guys from your recruiting targets over and over is probably a sign of someone you should target.

I can't possibly imagine Leavitt agreeing to that sort of scenario. "In order to keep you, we'll fire the guy who brought you in here and give you his job." Yeah, sure, that will work.

I can't possibly imagine Leavitt agreeing to that sort of scenario. "In order to keep you, we'll fire the guy who brought you in here and give you his job." Yeah, sure, that will work.

Yeah, that might be too slimy for him. I think they only choices are to let him go and try and hire him back in a year. Or through silly money at him that beats what UM is offering.

Neuheisel or Kiffin on the other hand would gladly step over their bosses body. Remember JL and MM both know each other through their church and religious convictions.

Yeah, that might be too slimy for him. I think they only choices are to let him go and try and hire him back in a year. Or through silly money at him that beats what UM is offering.

Neuheisel or Kiffin on the other hand would gladly step over their bosses body. Remember JL and MM both know each other through their church and religious convictions.

Up his salary to whatever Michigan wants to pay him, add a year to his current contract. They paid Durkin $800,000 so we would need an additional $300,000 if that is what they are looking at. Leavitt has shown enough to get a substantial raise.

Back