What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jim MF'n Leavitt

That's all well and good, but I highly doubt he's willing to stay as a DC if he has a chance to be a HC. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt I am.
Valid. And there's a very good possibility that my bias is clouding my judgement. Thing is: he's in his 60's. He's comfortable, financially. He's in a great situation here. Anywhere he goes from here would be a major rebuilding project. He probably doesn't get a chance at a legit P5 program. If he just has to get the HC job again, far be it from me to deny him that opportunity. Short of that, he is probably in the best possible situation he could realistically hope for right here.

I can see him not wanting to take on some disaster program or a really low level place, but I could definitely see him interested in a place like Cal. And really, they'd be smart to look at him.

I really hope he does stay because holy **** we'd be so set if he randomly became our Bud Foster, but Leavitt was a HC and was a pretty good one, I think he wants to give it one more go before he calls it a day.

Let me just be on record as saying that I hope he stays here for a decade or more, we become a defensive powerhouse, Chiv stays here a decade plus and we become an offensive powerhouse, and we start shoving it UW's, USC's and UCLA's asses year in and year out.

Last edited:
Let me just be one record as saying that I hope he stays here for a decade or more, we become a defensive powerhouse, Chiv stays here a decade plus and we become an offensive powerhouse, and start shoving it UW's, USC's and UCLA's asses year in and year out.

Well said...

You guys are missing the important part of that story. JL won a $2.5MM wrongful termination settlement.

Dude doesn't need more money. He won't take a job just because it pays better. If he likes Boulder and CU, he won't go anywhere.
That is the hope.

On a side note, the pepsi thread got moved and I can't find it. I owe someone $10. Anyone know where I can find info?

Doesn't look like he will get any HC job this year, name not linked with any job at all apart from one report of FAU which has now dropped him off their list
Selfishly glad to hear it. Sad for JL, if that is what he wants. Seems a little crazy to me. The guy can coach!

If he had a burning desire to be HCJMFL, he'd have an agent out pitching him, or head hunters out poaching him, I think. He's a proven commodity as HC, a hot DC, and his one unproven incident hasn't reoccurred. I'm guessing he wants to stick around, at least one more year (or until the Pepsi runs out).

If he had a burning desire to be HCJMFL, he'd have an agent out pitching him, or head hunters out poaching him, I think. He's a proven commodity as HC, a hot DC, and his one unproven incident hasn't reoccurred. I'm guessing he wants to stick around, at least one more year (or until the Pepsi runs out).
It's been reported multiple times that he wants to be a head coach again, but other people have said only at a P5 school and obviously those jobs aren't easy to get.

Lot of truth to this post.

At his age and with his background he isn't going to go directly to a HC job with a P5 program anyways. The man is a football coach, he loves coaching, working with the kids seeing talent develop, having his kids make plays.

Being a HC involves a lot of non-football stuff. The donor relations, the media stuff, dealing with budgets and with administration and admissions and all the rest of it.

As RG moves his salary up it may become much easier for him to give up the remaining difference between DC pay and G5 HC pay and just do what he loves to do.

Him and Mac here together could become a coaching tandem legend for Colorado. I really hope that he stays and maybe gets an assistant head coach title

As RG moves his salary up it may become much easier for him to give up the remaining difference between DC pay and G5 HC pay and just do what he loves to do.

Compensation isn't an issue for him. He has all the money he will ever need. If he wants to be a head coach, paying him more here won't dissuade him. OTOH, it also means that the HC job has to be a great fit for him. Not many of those openings exist.

Lot of truth to this post.

At his age and with his background he isn't going to go directly to a HC job with a P5 program anyways. The man is a football coach, he loves coaching, working with the kids seeing talent develop, having his kids make plays.

Being a HC involves a lot of non-football stuff. The donor relations, the media stuff, dealing with budgets and with administration and admissions and all the rest of it.

Many assumptions in their Mtn, particular considering he has done the HC thing quite successfully in the past.

What could his NFL DC chances be. Is it a case SanFran was only chance or will 4 top seasons in college qualify him. He has a unique resume versus other college coordinators which maube warrents some looks from the NFL.

Many assumptions in their Mtn, particular considering he has done the HC thing quite successfully in the past.
Never said he wouldn't be interested in being a HC again. Just that he is obviously enjoying what he is doing right now.

Being a HC has an appeal but also has some drawbacks. If RG and M2 can continue to make this a situation where JL can enjoy and find satisfaction in what he is doing it simply means a HC opportunity will have to be that much better to get his interest.

If a good P5 opportunity came up he certainly would look. His age is going to present an obstacle to him getting those. He is smart enough and has been around long enough to know that a lot of the job openings that come up aren't very good.

He isn't like some 37 year old guy who was promoted to coordinator 2 years ago and is itching to run his own show no matter where it is.

I hope coach Leavitt settles in and stays a long time, but the best coach in college is 65. I'm guessing Urban isn't much younger. Pete Carroll is also 65.

Nevermind on Urb. He's only 52.

I hope coach Leavitt settles in and stays a long time, but the best coach in college is 65. I'm guessing Urban isn't much younger. Pete Carroll is also 65.

Nevermind on Urb. He's only 52.

Age with Leavitt isn't an issue. That guy is younger than I was when I was 25. My hope is that he becomes for CU like Dick LeBeau was for the Pittsburgh Steelers and is our defensive guru for the next 15 years.

Speaking of old, Bill Snyder is 77 and I hear he is interested in retiring but is being encouraged to return. They return a lot of guys and should be very good next year. And, of course, JL has a connection there.

Speaking of old, Bill Snyder is 77 and I hear he is interested in retiring but is being encouraged to return. They return a lot of guys and should be very good next year. And, of course, JL has a connection there.
That would be the one job that would scare me with Leavitt. Hope old Snyder keeps it rolling.

speaking of coaching changes... I heard Kiffin to Houston and Sarkisian to Alabama to replace him.....

So Saban is not only the best college coach.... he is the most desired sponsor...... I am jealous.

speaking of coaching changes... I heard Kiffin to Houston and Sarkisian to Alabama to replace him.....

So Saban is not only the best college coach.... he is the most desired sponsor...... I am jealous.
No jealousy here. Very happy with all in the world in Buffs land.

Isn't Sark already at Bama as a Consultant or something? I thought I remember that from a few months ago. I could probably be OC at Bama - doesn't take a genius to plug in 5*s at every position....

Back