What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jim MF'n Leavitt

Isn't Sark already at Bama as a Consultant or something? I thought I remember that from a few months ago. I could probably be OC at Bama - doesn't take a genius to plug in 5*s at every position....
I thought you were a chick !

I wasn't angry about it.... I was being funny... union and I went to CU at the same time and attended many games together!

Been wasting time looking at other PAC12 teams. Oregon D is going to be killer this year. Think I am going to pick Oregon to beat UW and to win the North in 18.

Leavitt is the Marquette King of Pac 12 coordinators-you think he's a clown unless he's a part of your team.

Totally agree. It doesn't make me any less a Buff to admit that Leavitt was probably the best coach CU has had since the original Mac.

Also a good example of how inspirational coaching and inspired play calling can overcome talent deficits.
Talent deficiencies on a defense that had 8 guys move on to the NFL the next year, with some other really talented underclassmen (Oliver, Laguda, Fisher)? Such inspired play calling.

Talent deficiencies on a defense that had 8 guys move on to the NFL the next year, with some other really talented underclassmen (Oliver, Laguda, Fisher)? Such inspired play calling.

I think the fact is that we had two raw talents in our DB's that year...and they were well coached into good players. The other guys were underrated, solid college players who got showcased in a breakout year. Do you think we would have gotten 8 to the NFL if we had gone 1-8 in conference and been last in the south like we were in 2015?

If you do think that we pumping out all this great NFL talent, must you then admit that MM is recruiting lights out?

Totally agree. It doesn't make me any less a Buff to admit that Leavitt was probably the best coach CU has had since the original Mac.

Also a good example of how inspirational coaching and inspired play calling can overcome talent deficits.

No, but he made his money his first couple years in Boulder more than 2016. Baer and Eliot probably could have done fine with as much talent as we had on that side of the ball two years ago.

I think the fact is that we had two raw talents in our DB's that year...and they were well coached into good players. The other guys were underrated, solid college players who got showcased in a breakout year. Do you think we would have gotten 8 to the NFL if we had gone 1-8 in conference and been last in the south like we were in 2015?

If you do think that we pumping out all this great NFL talent, must you then admit that MM is recruiting lights out?
I'm just saying that regardless of how highly ranked the guys on that defense were coming out of high school, the 2016 secondary was easily the most talented secondary in the conference and they also had a top third DL in the conference. I'm not downplaying the job Leavitt did. He knows defense, he is clearly a motivating presence on the sideline and he can call a game, but I just laugh at the notion that his "inspirational coaching and play calling overcame talent deficiencies". He had the better defensive unit to coach in the vast majority of games that season.

I'm just saying that regardless of how highly ranked the guys on that defense were coming out of high school, the 2016 secondary was easily the most talented secondary in the conference and they also had a top third DL in the conference. I'm not downplaying the job Leavitt did. He knows defense, he is clearly a motivating presence on the sideline and he can call a game, but I just laugh at the notion that his "inspirational coaching and play calling overcame talent deficiencies". He had the better defensive unit to coach in the vast majority of games that season.
If Laguda is selected late in the upcoming draft that will make it 5/5 from the Rise secondary.

So then you think that we had among the P12's top DB and DL recruiting classes at some point before the 2016 season? GTFO! We had among the worst. There were a handful of DB diamonds in the rough in those awful classes, but lets not pretend there were enough diamonds in the rough to produce the best defense in the PAC12 South with just any decent defensive coordinator.

It's not like he didn't have a long record of similar results...he created top defenses at South Florida with unknown talents. He pretty much did at Colorado what he had shown he could do at South Florida. The folks at Oregon gave him one of the ten highest salaries for an assistance coach in NCAA history (and the highest salary ever for a P12 coordinator) to lead their defense. The Oregon athletic folks obviously must know much less than you do. So lets wait and see what happens at Oregon this year.

Good coach. Best of luck to him. Appreciate his contribution while he was here.
Would take him back in a New York minute.....motivational....good to great tactician....Oregon had a great turnaround last year...and I expect this year to be a breakout year for them on defense. It is no wonder why they backed up the Brinks truck to keep him....his skills are in short supply.

Would take him back in a New York minute.....motivational....good to great tactician....Oregon had a great turnaround last year...and I expect this year to be a breakout year for them on defense. It is no wonder why they backed up the Brinks truck to keep him....his skills are in short supply.

I'd take him back as HC.

I'd take him back as HC.
I honestly wouldn’t. I just don’t know how structured, or how disciplined he would be. He’s firery and emotional that plays well as an assistant. Don’t know if that is what is needed in a HC.

He is one of the best D1 DCs in the country. He didn’t recruit any of the 16 kids and S&C developed them physically. Dude can motivate and call a great game. Not sure why it has to be all one coach or another getting the glory. But he is doing at UO what he did here. They greatly improved (from the 100s to the 50s or so) and are set to make another jump this year. He’s a badass. I wish we had a sugar daddy sometimes like PK.

Leavitt is a great coach. Sure, at CU we can't give him credit for recruiting the guys that ended up helping that defense be so good. No we can't give him sole credit for developing them either, though he certainly gets partial credit. What we can give him credit for is helping them study and prepare, for motivating them and for being one of the best defensive play callers in the country.
Bottom line with Leavitt is that everywhere he has gone, at whatever level he has been at, the position (as a position coach), or the defense (as a d coordinator) or the team (as a head coach) has improved...and done so rapidly. If that doesn't define a great coach then nothing does.

Leavitt had no role whatsoever in the development of any DB anywhere.

Agreed since that is pretty much HCMM's forte in addition to the DBs coaches at the time. HCMM didn't recruit those solid DL players either. If CU's DL comes together this season, Buff fans would be in store for a good year. Tommie Harris made quite the impact at OU as a freshman so it's possible a freshman DT is waiting to make that type of impact and we are going to find out early this season with two big games against the lambs and cornheads.

Leavitt is a great coach. Sure, at CU we can't give him credit for recruiting the guys that ended up helping that defense be so good. No we can't give him sole credit for developing them either, though he certainly gets partial credit. What we can give him credit for is helping them study and prepare, for motivating them and for being one of the best defensive play callers in the country.
Bottom line with Leavitt is that everywhere he has gone, at whatever level he has been at, the position (as a position coach), or the defense (as a d coordinator) or the team (as a head coach) has improved...and done so rapidly. If that doesn't define a great coach then nothing does.

No need for facts here, we are working on emotion!

Back