What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jim MF'n Leavitt

If Leavitt leaves for the bright lights, glory and money of Michigan, then I totally misjudged him. I'd be pretty disenchanted. I also would like to say, there is a lot of hysteria in this thread.

81456.gif

That's why I said continue to build this defense and Colorado is still on the big stage, it is one of If not the best conferences in the country. I'm not trying to say that colorado gets you as much exposure as Michigan but saying it is a great opportunity to show your talents as a coach. Leavitt is already an established head coach so it's not like he needs to sit under and elite coach and learn.

The real question is does he think he can recruit enough talent to colorado to bring that defense to the top of the 3rd or 4th of pac 12 because if he can do that it is way more impressive than taking over michigans defense.

By the way Michigan is not expected to have a great year next year, they lose more players in their two deep than any team in the country I believe. Dont expect them to take that next step until the year after.

You're making the assumption that he'd choose to stay with a ho hum program (sorry) that could take several more years to fix over a program that will win now and make a bowl run. Plus he gets to work for a guy thats perceived to be on the same top tier as Saban and Meyer. People like JL are generally very competitive and very successful and position themselves as such. They dont care too much about the weather or the cool mountains. And then you have to factor in wether he thinks Mike MacIntyre is an asset or a liability to his career.

If I were him Id take the Michigan job if offered (again, sorry).

You're making the assumption that he'd choose to stay with a ho hum program (sorry) that could take several more years to fix over a program that will win now and make a bowl run. Plus he gets to work for a guy thats perceived to be on the same top tier as Saban and Meyer. People like JL are generally very competitive and very successful and position themselves as such. They dont care too much about the weather or the cool mountains. And then you have to factor in wether he thinks Mike MacIntyre is an asset or a liability to his career.

If I were him Id take the Michigan job if offered (again, sorry).

I didn't say anything about weather and mountains I was saying that the possibility of him improving a colorado defense which was downright terrible before he got here would be very visible to athletic directors across the country. I said the biggest question is does he think he can recruit the level of athlete that will allow him to bring CU into the top tier of the pac defensively. If he thinks he can then the wise decision would be to continue to stay the track because that would be the kind of turn around that would truly raise eye brows across the country. If he doesn't think he can then yes he should move on. I am not trying to discredit Michigan or say that he shouldnt or wouldn't take the DC job there, just that he can accomplish a LOT here that would only add to his resume/name.

In which situation do you think he would get a head coaching call first?
1) brings colorado to a top four defense in the conference within the next two years
2) goes to Michigan and maintains/slightly improves a defense that was already established by Durkin at a school where it is relatively easy to recruit?

when you suck forever and you get lucky and make a good hire, schools that don't suck forever take them. i worry more about the coaches no one has wanted.

it takes a combination of factors to make things work when you are this far down. so far, we haven't put all the pieces in place, but we have made steps.

The odds are better that Leavitt will be the HC at CU in 2017 if he is the Michigan DC in 2016 than if he is the CU DC in 2016.

I didn't say anything about weather and mountains I was saying that the possibility of him improving a colorado defense which was downright terrible before he got here would be very visible to athletic directors across the country. I said the biggest question is does he think he can recruit the level of athlete that will allow him to bring CU into the top tier of the pac defensively. If he thinks he can then the wise decision would be to continue to stay the track because that would be the kind of turn around that would truly raise eye brows across the country. If he doesn't think he can then yes he should move on. I am not trying to discredit Michigan or say that he shouldnt or wouldn't take the DC job there, just that he can accomplish a LOT here that would only add to his resume/name.

In which situation do you think he would get a head coaching call first?
1) brings colorado to a top four defense in the conference within the next two years
2) goes to Michigan and maintains/slightly improves a defense that was already established by Durkin at a school where it is relatively easy to recruit?

By yardage and points, UCLA was the number 4 defense in the conference this year. Nationally that put them at 62 (between Troy and Kentucky) and 52 (between Ohio and Middle Tennessee), respectively. Michigan was 4th in yardage and 11th in scoring. So, the situations as you describe them really are:

1) Brings Colorado into the top half of FBS defenses
2) Keeps Michigan in the top 10 (maintains) or takes them into the top 5 (slightly improves) of FBS defenses while losing 10 in the two deep this year and 10 in the two deep next year

If Michigan decides they want Leavitt, I honestly can't think of a reason for him to stay unless he just doesn't want to uproot himself after 1 year.

I don't think theres much to this-First, the guy practically broadcasts his travel itinerary on twitter, and he's been doing so since the Utah game. I don't think somebody who is getting ready to change jobs does that. Second, he's gotta know he's going to get a look at this gig if a change is made next year. No conspiracy, but call it common sense. Lastly, I think the fact that Harbaugh chose D.J Durkin over Leavitt when he could have announced JL as his DC the day he was hired at UM last year says a lot.

Lastly, I think the fact that Harbaugh chose D.J Durkin over Leavitt when he could have announced JL as his DC the day he was hired at UM last year says a lot.

That says nothing. Maybe JL was second on his list. Maybe he was 42nd. We don't have any idea.

Last edited:
Didn't Leavitt believe God, and I take this seriously, lead him to come here? Like, he felt a spiritual connection, so to speak? I can't imagine God saying, "Oops! My bad Jim. I didn't think that one all the way through. On second thought, Colorado wasn't one of my better ideas. You need to go to Michigan."

So do we know that JL is interviewing? I don't have a Rivals sub anymore but just because the Michigan Rivals guy says there's a list of 5 doesn't mean that is factual information. Is it?

I don't think theres much to this-First, the guy practically broadcasts his travel itinerary on twitter, and he's been doing so since the Utah game. I don't think somebody who is getting ready to change jobs does that. Second, he's gotta know he's going to get a look at this gig if a change is made next year. No conspiracy, but call it common sense. Lastly, I think the fact that Harbaugh chose D.J Durkin over Leavitt when he could have announced JL as his DC the day he was hired at UM last year says a lot.

Durkin's left Harbaugh twice now; once from Stanford to work for Meyer at UF and for the Maryland HC gig.

Didn't Leavitt believe God, and I take this seriously, lead him to come here? Like, he felt a spiritual connection, so to speak? I can't imagine God saying, "Oops! My bad Jim. I didn't think that one all the way through. On second thought, Colorado wasn't one of my better ideas. You need to go to Michigan."
I don't know, it seems as though God kept telling Lache Seastrunk to change schools, to the point he was like Moses wandering through a Division 1 Desert.

But to my earlier point about Leavitt, I do believe that he is a man of high character. If he believes that God wants him to be here, I don't imagine that he'll be swayed. I just wasn't aware that he came here as part of a calling.

Good grief

When God talks to me he never says "My bad Jim." Man never knows God's plans. Maybe God's plan was one year at CU as a DC for Leavitt and then onto a different job.

When God talks to me he never says "My bad Jim." Man never knows God's plans. Maybe God's plan was one year at CU as a DC for Leavitt and then onto a different job.
It's true. One more year in San Francisco might have turned JMFL gay, and God can't tolerate that. He had to get him out of there...to anywhere.

Signed,

Trumpvoter

It's true. One more year in San Francisco might have turned JMFL gay, and God can't tolerate that. He had to get him out of there...to anywhere.

Signed,

Trumpvoter

SanFrancisco =/= Prison

signed Ben Carson

His Twitter feed is the biggest reason I'm not worried about this. If he goes silent on twitter, there might be something to this. In the meantime, get him another Pepsi.

Back