What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jimmy Smith testing NFL draft waters

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Daily Camera Article

Colorado junior cornerback Jimmy Smith said he has submitted paperwork to the NFL Draft Advisory Board for advice on what round he would be selected if he chose to enter the 2010 draft as an underclassman.

Smith said he most likely will remain at CU for his senior season next fall, but if the board told him he was going to be a first or second-round selection in April, he would leave school early.

"I think another year would make me a lot more known around the football community, I guess, with like a lot more hype going into the season," Smith said. "Things that would make me leave is if they said I would go first or second round, then of course I would leave. That`s a no-brainer."

Eligible underclassmen must declare for the draft by Jan. 15, 2010. Some analysts have speculated that a larger than normal group of underclassmen could declare for the 2010 draft because of the potential for a NFL work stoppage and labor dispute after next season.

Smith was named second team All-Big 12 by the Associated Press this season after playing in all 12 games for the Buffs and finishing as the fifth leading tackler on the team with 70 total stops. He intercepted two passes with a forced fumble and fumble recovery and finished the season with10 pass breakups.

Those are likely not the numbers of a first- or second-round selection, but Smith is already considered a strong candidate to be drafted because of his size (6-foot-2, 205 pounds) and his athleticism.

NFLDraftScout ranks Smith as the 42nd best cornerback in the 2011 class with nine other Big 12 defensive backs rated ahead of him.

=============

Article goes on to say that Brown and Ambrose will support him no matter what he decides and that he is on track to get his sociology degree in May, so he'd be able to focus more on football next season with a light course load.

Sounds like Jimmy Smith is coming back next year. We'll know for sure by January 15th, but Jimmy's likely return is making me feel a lot better about our cornerback situation in 2010. And I do believe he will significantly improve his draft status by staying another year. :thumbsup:

Roger your thoughts, 'Nik. It'll be awesome to have Jimmy back next year, but if the opportunity presents itself - ya gotta take it (e.g. Sam Bradford).

Best of luck to you Jimmy, and I hope we'll still be getting to watch you terroize the Big 12 next year!

I don't think this is Jimmy Smith's year. He is probably going to wait until next season IMO. Here are the best CBs in the draft this year and all have a shot at going in the 1st round:

Joe Haden - Florida
Patrick Robinson - Florida State
Perrish Cox - Oklahoma State
Brandon Ghee - Wake Forest
Kyle Wilson - Boise State
Myron Lewis - Vandy

Love Jimmy, but I'm not concerned. Looking forward to a season that will be mutually beneficial for him and us next year!

Jimmy was good last year, but not worthy of a 1st or 2nd pick this year. IMO With next years schedule, he's really going to have to step it up to be considered a 1st or 2nd.

I love the fact that we are talking about hoping a skilled player comes back for a senior year and not a kicker.

Smith will get a chance to prove he is a 1st day pick when AJ Green shows up in Boulder with the Bulldogs. Green is a monster and in order for us to win that game we are going to need sound CB play from him. Should be a great matchup, like with Smith and Shipley this year.

I wish our CBs were assigned to other players and not be a SS/WS. Shipley burned Cha'pelle on a great juke this year and Smith seemed to be able to contain him when he was on the WS; 90% of all CBs would have bitten on that juke and route that Shipley ran, especially without support over the top as well. Cha'pelle was a good, but Smith's man coverage is better even though the overall nod goes to Brown (especially against NU, that was lights out).

Smith will get a chance to prove he is a 1st day pick when AJ Green shows up in Boulder with the Bulldogs. Green is a monster and in order for us to win that game we are going to need sound CB play from him. Should be a great matchup, like with Smith and Shipley this year.

I wish our CBs were assigned to other players and not be a SS/WS. Shipley burned Cha'pelle on a great juke this year and Smith seemed to be able to contain him when he was on the WS; 90% of all CBs would have bitten on that juke and route that Shipley ran, especially without support over the top as well. Cha'pelle was a good, but Smith's man coverage is better even though the overall nod goes to Brown (especially against NU, that was lights out).

I think Shipley juked Jalil, not Chap, on that play. But point taken - wudda been nice to see Jimmie covering Jordan the whole game.

I think he'll grade out in the 4th round range and will return to dominate next year and become a first round pick! :thumbsup:

Smart move for Jimmy is to wait till after his SR season. Way to many times to players get over looked because they played on a crap team before the draft.

He didn't have great numbers this year, but I wonder if that's a product of other teams game-planning away from him.

Some of it was definitely teams throwing away from him (or just being very right handed with their passing attacks). But Jimmy dropped at least 3 INTs this year that he should have had. Missed some tackles too.

I find it difficult to believe that Jimmy will be a first-day draft pick. He is a great player and I think he can play in the NFL due to his physical abilities but when teams are drafting a corner that high they almost always go for someone with ball skills.

I think being able to play consistent in man coverage against top receivers and do well is much more important than getting picks, but the guys that get drafted high are usually guys who get a lot of picks.

I find it difficult to believe that Jimmy will be a first-day draft pick. He is a great player and I think he can play in the NFL due to his physical abilities but when teams are drafting a corner that high they almost always go for someone with ball skills.

I think being able to play consistent in man coverage against top receivers and do well is much more important than getting picks, but the guys that get drafted high are usually guys who get a lot of picks.

I am with you i dont see him being a much above a 4th rounder.

If he tests well at the combine (and I think there is every indication he can), he will shoot up draft boards. CBs over 6' tall are not a dime a dozen. Plus cover corners are considered a premium position in the NFL.

If he tests well at the combine (and I think there is every indication he can), he will shoot up draft boards. CBs over 6' tall are not a dime a dozen. Plus cover corners are considered a premium position in the NFL.

Very troo, all. It'll be interesting to see what the initial evaluation says. I wonder what he feels is a viable cut-off point (i.e., round)?

We need him more than the nfl :smile2:

But, at this point where the program is, don't blame him.

We need him more than the nfl :smile2:

But, at this point where the program is, don't blame him.

This plus what I heard is why I think hes gone. If he gets a pre-combine selection of 4th round or so, its not that bad a gamble. Money now> maybe money later + more losing.

You never know how the draft will shake out...was anyone else shocked when Dizon went in the 2nd round?

Jimmy has the "measurables" that scouts seem to cream their shorts over. He's 6'2", is great in coverage, and will probably run a sub 4.5 at the combine. Oh and he's being coached by a former NFL coach.

Would not be shocked at all to see him go 2nd round.

Well if this is any indication... In my NCAA 10 Jimmy became the number 1 CB* in the country and when I loaded my NCAA 10 draft class into Madden 10 he was also the number 1 overall pick...(*possible due to winning 2 NC in a row)

Here's what the different rounds mean as far as what a Cornerback contract looks like for rookies (2009 rookie contracts):

1st round (Pick 14, 14th pick of round): CB Malcolm Jenkins (5-years, $19M; $11M guaranteed)
2nd round (Pick 48, 16th pick of round): DB Darcel McBath (4-years, $3.85M; $2.01M guaranteed)
3rd round (Pick 80, 16th pick of round): CB Kevin Barnes (4-years, $2.532M; $782,500 signing bonus)
4th round (Pick 112, 12th pick of round): CB Glover Quinn (4-years, $2.24M; ~$490K signing bonus)
5th round (Pick 148, 12th pick of round): CB Brandon Hughes (4-years, $1.936M: $186,650 signing bonus)
6th round (Pick 183, 10th pick of round): CB Cary Harris (4-years, $1.856M; $108,650 signing bonus)
7th round (Pick 220, 11th pick of round): DB Ellis Lankster (4-years, $1.8M; ~$59K signing bonus)

=========

Basically, 1st 2 rounds and you're getting a boatload of guaranteed money. Third and 4th rounds, you're getting a hefty signing bonus ($400k-$800k). After that, you're looking at $200k or less in signing bonus.

My advice to Jimmy would be:
- 1st or 2nd round grade is a no brainer. Tear it up in the NFL.
- 3rd or 4th round grade is a decision. Good chunk of change, but with all the expenses you'll have (agent, family, friends, taxes, home, etc.) you won't really be rich until your second contract.
- 5th, 6th or 7th is reason to stay at CU. You'll improve your draft status and make yourself a ton of extra money by refining you game under Brown another year.

This is right on the money. If he goes in the top 2 or 3 rounds, he should really consider it. U never know what will happen, ask Bradford.

Back