What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jimmy Smith's "off the field" problems reportedly worse then we knew of

Whew! I've been spared, o happi dei.

on a lighter note, saw this draft projection today (from Tom Sorensen, Charlotte Observer):

#22 Indianapolis: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado; Peyton needs protection

#23 Philadelphia: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado; When will the run on Buffaloes stop?

I just saw that that would be sweet! As long as we dont see a DII Dan introduce them like M.Brown did for Colt.

Sounds like Jimmy needs to find a more NFL friendly habit

Sounds like Jimmy needs to find a more NFL friendly habit. It might not be right, but he should learn to live life without getting high. I never understood people who worked jobs that they have to test for pot, and still choose to smoke. Especially the ones looking for work in a field that tests. How hard is it? Considering the money he stands to make over 6+ years, he can wait and buy a plantation to grow and smoke all the pot he wants. One decade of his life without getting stoned, how hard is that?

And I like smoking pot and don't think it should be screened for, and should be flat out legalized without driving tests etc. If the guy can play ball, or drive a car fine, he can smoke fine. But until then, find a more job friendly vice like some good food, but I guess even that is hard to do with the NFL.

I think Jalil has the potential to be an excellent NFL player. I'd be stoked if the Broncos landed him somewhere.

In regard to Smith, if true, these allegations demonstrate a severe lack of personal responsibility. The codeine stuff is probably overblown by NFL teams due to the JaMarcus Russell bust, but put it all together and I can see why some teams are backing off. Pacman Jones, Jimmy is certainly not. But, if you're investing millions in a player, this stuff is a big red flag.

I think Jalil has the potential to be an excellent NFL player. I'd be stoked if the Broncos landed him somewhere.

In regard to Smith, if true, these allegations demonstrate a severe lack of personal responsibility. The codeine stuff is probably overblown by NFL teams due to the JaMarcus Russell bust, but put it all together and I can see why some teams are backing off. Pacman Jones, Jimmy is certainly not. But, if you're investing millions in a player, this stuff is a big red flag.

Don't you feel there is a bit of witch hunt here though. How many players in the draft have similar or worse issues. Why are we not hearing about those players? Why is sCam Newton getting so much praise and love all of a sudden? Something really stinks here. I'm not sure what the hell is going on.

Don't you feel there is a bit of witch hunt here though. How many players in the draft have similar or worse issues. Why are we not hearing about those players? Why is sCam Newton getting so much praise and love all of a sudden? Something really stinks here. I'm not sure what the hell is going on.

Jimmy Smith is the only player entering the draft who has ever made more than one poor decision which negatively reflects upon his character. Fact.

Asked that earlier...no one could give me a solid answer.

Maybe. Or maybe we're more focused on it because Jimmy is one of our own. I don't think Cam is worth a first round pick, let alone the first pick in the draft, and many draft experts agree. But, he doesn't have drug issues in his past. And that differentiates him from Jimmy if these allegations are true. Look at Mallett. He's a first round pick without the drug issues. With them? Probably slips to the third round.

He doesn't have any known drug problems in the past but he did get kicked out of an SEC school, and that's a tough task to do.

He doesn't have any known drug problems in the past but he did get kicked out of an SEC school, and that's a tough task to do.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm pointing out that NFL teams perceive drug issues as very, very bad character indicators. Any guy with drug issues is going to slip in the draft. This year, it will be Jimmy, who should have been a top ten pick, and Mallett, who should have been a first rounder. I can't think of a lot of guys that slipped because of drug issues in the past, but Warren Sapp and Dan Marino come to mind. Actually, not bad company. :lol:

Maybe. Or maybe we're more focused on it because Jimmy is one of our own. I don't think Cam is worth a first round pick, let alone the first pick in the draft, and many draft experts agree. But, he doesn't have drug issues in his past. And that differentiates him from Jimmy if these allegations are true. Look at Mallett. He's a first round pick without the drug issues. With them? Probably slips to the third round.

I'd agree but my problem is what is being reported was either what Jimmy said to the NFL people or what Jimmy said to the reporters. I don't think Jimmy or Rosenhaus are dumb enough to say it to the reporters. So IMO the teams leaked this info to the media. That is ****ed up. Especially the stuff about the abortions. That is what sickens me. Also lumping Jimmy in with Talib and Pac-man when we have seen no signs of that pisses me off.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm pointing out that NFL teams perceive drug issues as very, very bad character indicators. Any guy with drug issues is going to slip in the draft. This year, it will be Jimmy, who should have been a top ten pick, and Mallett, who should have been a first rounder. I can't think of a lot of guys that slipped because of drug issues in the past, but Warren Sapp and Dan Marino come to mind. Actually, not bad company. :lol:
Yeah true. I don't quite trust that article though. In my mind someone who gets kicked out of Florida (where cops normally turn a blind eye on illegal activities) seems a lot worse than a failed drug test early on in his career.

I'd agree but my problem is what is being reported was either what Jimmy said to the NFL people or what Jimmy said to the reporters. I don't think Jimmy or Rosenhaus are dumb enough to say it to the reporters. So IMO the teams leaked this info to the media. That is ****ed up. Especially the stuff about the abortions. That is what sickens me. Also lumping Jimmy in with Talib and Pac-man when we have seen no signs of that pisses me off.

Yeah, but who is lumping Jimmy in with Talib and Pacman? I don't think it's the media, I think it's fan message boards. We know those are the pinnacle of responsible thought, even though the others haven't quite caught up to AllBuffs yet.

The abortions are a touchy subject. But, two pregnancies out of wedlock before graduating from college aren't exactly an indicator of personal responsibility or stability. In the end, however, I agree that those are personal matters that should not be reported by a major news source.

Yeah, but who is lumping Jimmy in with Talib and Pacman? I don't think it's the media, I think it's fan message boards. We know those are the pinnacle of responsible thought, even though the others haven't quite caught up to AllBuffs yet.

The abortions are a touchy subject. But, two pregnancies out of wedlock before graduating from college aren't exactly an indicator of personal responsibility or stability. In the end, however, I agree that those are personal matters that should not be reported by a major news source.

:lol: The first line of the article from the first post is:

Colorado cornerback Jimmy Smith could be Nnamdi Asomugha. He could be Aqib Talib, too.

Adam Schefter revealed the other part of the puzzle here... Jimmy's Facebook page

Last edited:
Good news for Jimmy that he was drafted by the Ravens. He can be mentored by good character guys. Like Ray Lewis.... :lol:

Honestly, this was suggested on NFL Network. What the **** does Ray have on these guys? I have never seen a guy get the media to flat out lie about him like he does.... :rolling_eyes:

Good news for Jimmy that he was drafted by the Ravens. He can be mentored by good character guys. Like Ray Lewis.... :lol:

Honestly, this was suggested on NFL Network. What the **** does Ray have on these guys? I have never seen a guy get the media to flat out lie about him like he does.... :rolling_eyes:

Of any fan bases in the NFL isn't going to get bent out of shape about the character issues of a defensive pick, it's the Ratbirds.

Congrats Jimmy.

Of any fan bases in the NFL isn't going to get bent out of shape about the character issues of a defensive pick, it's the Ratbirds.

Congrats Jimmy.

Definitely...who cares if the family unit looked like they had all toked on a massive doobie prior to Rog's annoucement?

I agree its such a joke how people say RAy Lewis is some great person now.

Why are we hearing all this **** about Smith but nothing on Newton? The dude was kicked out of an SEC school and soon will be the center of an NCAA violation. Do you know how hard it is to get kicked out of an SEC school?

No, Creatini... How hard is it?

No, Creatini... How hard is it?

Hello%20Smart%20Ass%20!!!.jpg

Oh. I thought I was doing you a favor because you said, "Do you know how hard it is to get kicked out of an SEC school?" Usually when a question is framed as such, it is the obligation of the person who is asked the question to in turn ask, "No [asker of the original question], how __ is it to ____?" But then, when the askee responds as noted, the original asker is required to finish the joke that was originally set up.

Ray Ray has become one of the strongest mentors and role models in the league.

Not really a surprise that guys listen to him and journalists only write nice things. He has proven that he can kill you and not a single witness will talk. Don't **** with Ray Lewis, man.

This is news - I remember Hawkins saying when he first came on board, if you play at CU you will absolutely be drug tested, and if you fail you won't play football for me. I thought he was supposed to be MR. Squeaky Clean, even if he wasn't worth a crap as a coach.

Back