What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Joel Klatt is a doosh

People need to get real - you just cannot run out there and coach - it is actually against NCAA rules. The rules are very specific about who can coach. Several people have offered to help coach the kickers in the past and have been informed by CU that it was against NCAA rules.

Klatt is taking action that he has available to him. Just like a lot of fans post their opinions on Internet boards. IMO, people like Klatt and Alfred are helping CU by keeping passion and discussion going...the worst thing is when they stop talking about the team - see CSU. If you want to know why Klatt and Alfred (and a lot of others by the way) is that Hawkins burned to the ground comment was taken personally by these guys as an insult and affront to what they felt they contributed to the program.
Okay, so my ideas for Klatt are sh!tty. I'm still sick of him only bitching about the Buffs. His act has become very tiresome to me.

Okay, so my ideas for Klatt are sh!tty. I'm still sick of him only bitching about the Buffs. His act has become very tiresome to me.

And yet all that has to be done to silence him is for someone to be a decent coach.

Treat the disease, not the symptom.

Just heard Klatt on another 87.7 show. Nate something or other. Anyway, he said that Wyoming was the 2nd best team on the Front Range and would beat CU.

Did he not see our game with Wyoming last year? Has he gone full retard?

Just heard Klatt on another 87.7 show. Nate something or other. Anyway, he said that Wyoming was the 2nd best team on the Front Range and would beat CU.

Did he not see our game with Wyoming last year? Has he gone full retard?

He's been saying stupid sh!t like this since 87.7 went on air(didn't listen to him on the AM station). Even questioned CJ's love for the program on the air. :wtf: Alfred and CJ have had some harsh words about the program, but nothing like Klatt.

Last edited:
I think Klatt is awesome. He's holding the CU admin accountable for the eff-ups that are taking place up there right now. Keep in mind that Klatt was THE GUY during the "scandal". He was the guy all the media went to to get an interview. He was a stand up guy then, and he expects the current crop of talking heads at CU to be stand-up guys as well. I have no problem with it. The guy walked the walk. He can be as smarmy as he wants to be. If I had the platform he has, I'd be doing the exact same thing.

:stupid: He was and is one of the most passionate Buffs to put on the Black and Gold. During the Scandal that wasn't, Joel answered every question, gave every interview requestes and never ever shirked his leadership role on the team. He earned the right to voice his opinion in my opinion. Guy loves the Buffs and just wants the admin and coaching staff to come clean on what we are constantly told are the little things. Good for Joel!

Klatt wasn't my favorite player ever or anything, and if he's questioning CJ's love for the program.. wtf. But to constantly call him out is pretty lame, the guy ended his career for the black and gold.

I like and respect Joel quite a bit. Especially for where he came from and what he accomplished while at CU.

No doubt he's passionate about the Black and Gold and is pissed about the coaching situation, but I think he tries too hard to be critical of the program in his current position as a media member. Klatt is very young by media member standards and I think he's determined to show his media brethren that he's not afraid to be critical of his own program.

I've heard Joel several times trot out the "3 Big 12 North Championships" he won during his time there (2 of them as a starter and one as freshman when Hodge was the starter, that 2002 team being by far the best of the teams Klatt was on), but don't hear him comment on really how mediocre the teams were when he was the starter (2003-2005). CU was 20-18 overall (12-12 in conference and 2-11 vs. ranked teams) with Klatt at the helm--of course, he wasn't playing defense in the blowout losses during his time, and he certainly wasn't part of "burning the program to the ground" as Hawk would have us believe.

Last edited:
Hate Klatt because he's using this as his lame attempt to "be somebody" in the media. He's not a Buff first, he's Joel first. I hate Hawkins too, but he's gone way overboard and he is DEFINITELY a Pompous prick. Can't stand to hear him. Alfred is ok, critical of the program at times, but I'm okay we Alfred.

Hate Klatt because he's using this as his lame attempt to "be somebody" in the media. He's not a Buff first, he's Joel first. I hate Hawkins too, but he's gone way overboard and he is DEFINITELY a Pompous prick. Can't stand to hear him. Alfred is ok, critical of the program at times, but I'm okay we Alfred.

I agree he's now Joel "the Media Member" first, and Joel "the Buff" second.

But then, I wouldn't want him to be like Trev Alberts as a media member either. Alberts was the quintessential doosh!!!

At this time I think everyone is frustrated with what is happening, feels helpless, and that leads to in fighting. Thing that really amazes me is Hawkins asking for another contract extension. Top that for being a pompous asshole?
HawkinsPillarPul&#108.jpg

I watched Alfred Williams play and Joel Klatt is no Alfred Williams. Not by a million miles. Alfred Williams I respect. Joel Klatt strikes me as a local reincarnation of Dennis Miller. "Hey... Everybody... Pay attention to ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Bad comparison if you're wanting to make Klatt look bad. Miller is one of the smartest, funniest guys around these days. If I were Klatt, I'd take that as a compliment.

Klatt was also the first guy to call BS on the Buffs last year when expectations were high again, so he does have some credibility. I do think you guys are taking that show a little too seriously, its sports talk radio. I'm pretty sure its an exaggerated schtick to get people interested...just look how we're all talking about the show. Basically they're doing a good cop/bad cop act. Granted I've been a little surprised at how far he's been willing to go for calling out Hawkins, but that happens all the time on big boy radio, which we're not really used to in Denver where the media tends to treat the local coaches with kid gloves. I bet if you could pin CJ down in a private conversation his opinion of the current situation wouldn't contain all the rainbows and sunshine of his on air opinions, remember he's still a part of the AD.

Klatt would be a great color guy on Saturdays for ABC/ESPN. I hope this is maneuvering on his part to avoid looking like a homer so he ends up getting one of those gigs. Never heard him on the radio, but his time as an analyst for TV broadcasts has made me wish they swapped him with Herbie years ago.

Look, we all know Klatt was a great buff. He conducted himself on and off the field with the kind of character and integrity that we want our program to be associated with.

All of that was also in the past. The past. And no one is contesting any of that.

The question at hand is who is Klatt being now?

To me he appears to be a man willing to say nearly anything in order to help build his career. His criticisms of the buffs have been one sided, un-necessarily harsh and at times almost childish, IMHO. He seems to be intent on leveraging these dark times for the buffs into a career advancement opportunity by demonstrating that he is willing to throw salt into the wounds of his former team. So to me, Klatt right now is closer to Kizla than the man who showed great character during the recruiting scandal. This is why I want him to shut up.

Flame away.

Look, we all know Klatt was a great buff. He conducted himself on and off the field with the kind of character and integrity that we want our program to be associated with.

All of that was also in the past. The past. And no one is contesting any of that.

The question at hand is who is Klatt being now?

To me he appears to be a man willing to say nearly anything in order to help build his career. His criticisms of the buffs have been one sided, un-necessarily harsh and at times almost childish, IMHO. He seems to be intent on leveraging these dark times for the buffs into a career advancement opportunity by demonstrating that he is willing to throw salt into the wounds of his former team. So to me, Klatt right now is closer to Kizla than the man who showed great character during the recruiting scandal. This is why I want him to shut up.

Flame away.
Not a flame, but I'm of the opinion that he just wants Hawk gone. That's his motive and I think he's doing what he thinks he needs to do to help get that goal accomplished. I don't buy into any of this talk about how he's saying what he's saying just to further his career.

I think he just wants Hawk gone. And not just for performance sake, but for his bashing of Barnett. Klatt is very loyal to Barnett. Obviously Klatt takes it personally when Hawkins says the program was burnt to the ground when he took over. Klatt is on the radio and TV now, he has to speak his opinion.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to attack you, personally or otherwise, just pointing a couple things out. I think, based on the posts of yours I've read over the last 9 months, that you're a great Buff fan, and just as passionate about the program as the rest of us.

Devils Advocate: You claimed you're tired of his bitching, and stated that you'd like to see him DO something about it (i.e., volunteer to coach, campaign to get hired as a QB coach, etc.). But what have you personally done to stop his bitching? Have you called up his show to call him out on it? Have you tried turning off the radio, or publicly refused to listen to him? (You may have done exactly those things, and I just don't know about it.) Or are you, to paraphrase, just bitching in an open, public forum?

Klatt was also the first guy to call BS on the Buffs last year when expectations were high again, so he does have some credibility. I do think you guys are taking that show a little too seriously, its sports talk radio. I'm pretty sure its an exaggerated schtick to get people interested...just look how we're all talking about the show. Basically they're doing a good cop/bad cop act. Granted I've been a little surprised at how far he's been willing to go for calling out Hawkins, but that happens all the time on big boy radio, which we're not really used to in Denver where the media tends to treat the local coaches with kid gloves. I bet if you could pin CJ down in a private conversation his opinion of the current situation wouldn't contain all the rainbows and sunshine of his on air opinions, remember he's still a part of the AD.

This ^^^. JK has to be the bad cop because CJ is still drawing a paycheck from CU. AM radio thrives on over the top BS. Haven't you people heard of Jim Rome? Being a ridiculous ass is the way to get syndicated these days.

I think people are really missing the point here. The Klatt and CJ show is a local sports talk show that features two former Buff players who remain passionate about the program. They are willing to talk about the Buffs, anytime and all the time. There is a lot competition for the sports attention in this town and the media react to what the fans are interested in. I know the CJ and Klatt discourse creates and interest in the Buffs and keeps them in part of the limelight. You are not going to get 80,000 in that stadium if there is not interest in the program(see fairweather fan thread for context). Open the paper this morning and you have the Rockies in the playoff chase, the Broncos getting ready to take on the Manning and the Colts, the Nuggets talking about trading Melo, the Avs starting to play exhibition games, this is a fierce market and that you have two guys on for 3 hours a day that talk Buffs at least 50% of the time is huge.

I remember several years ago on the fan people were talking about CU during one of the talk shows and the producer kept breaking in and trying to change the subject. It peeved me off so I called the guy and asked him what his problem was with CU - it was a great conversation that really educated me on how talk radio works...he was really good about explaining where he was coming from. They do all sorts of polling to find out what their target demographic was interested in listening about and that CU was way down the list. That is when I realized they (the producers) were trying to control the topics discussed. That is why I loved Irv and Joe - they loved college football and they loved CU and would talk about it all the time. Now we have CJ and Klatt.

By the way they call out each other about every little thing. Plus CJ is equally annoying when he talks about Detroit.

I think people are really missing the point here. The Klatt and CJ show is a local sports talk show that features two former Buff players who remain passionate about the program. They are willing to talk about the Buffs, anytime and all the time. There is a lot competition for the sports attention in this town and the media react to what the fans are interested in. I know the CJ and Klatt discourse creates and interest in the Buffs and keeps them in part of the limelight. You are not going to get 80,000 in that stadium if there is not interest in the program(see fairweather fan thread for context). Open the paper this morning and you have the Rockies in the playoff chase, the Broncos getting ready to take on the Manning and the Colts, the Nuggets talking about trading Melo, the Avs starting to play exhibition games, this is a fierce market and that you have two guys on for 3 hours a day that talk Buffs at least 50% of the time is huge.

I remember several years ago on the fan people were talking about CU during one of the talk shows and the producer kept breaking in and trying to change the subject. It peeved me off so I called the guy and asked him what his problem was with CU - it was a great conversation that really educated me on how talk radio works...he was really good about explaining where he was coming from. They do all sorts of polling to find out what their target demographic was interested in listening about and that CU was way down the list. That is when I realized they (the producers) were trying to control the topics discussed. That is why I loved Irv and Joe - they loved college football and they loved CU and would talk about it all the time. Now we have CJ and Klatt.

By the way they call out each other about every little thing. Plus CJ is equally annoying when he talks about Detroit.

^^^This^^^

Also, we shouldn't discount the importance of things like Buffchips radio being a hit on their internet network. We need to increase CU's media exposure and we have had some positive developments in this regard.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to attack you, personally or otherwise, just pointing a couple things out. I think, based on the posts of yours I've read over the last 9 months, that you're a great Buff fan, and just as passionate about the program as the rest of us.

Devils Advocate: You claimed you're tired of his bitching, and stated that you'd like to see him DO something about it (i.e., volunteer to coach, campaign to get hired as a QB coach, etc.). But what have you personally done to stop his bitching? Have you called up his show to call him out on it? Have you tried turning off the radio, or publicly refused to listen to him? (You may have done exactly those things, and I just don't know about it.) Or are you, to paraphrase, just bitching in an open, public forum?

Fair enough. I stated that Klatt shouldn't bitch unless he's willing to do something about it, and because I have been bitching about Klatt's bitching you are calling me out and asking what I have done about it. I get it. Turn about is fair play (nice move too).

To be honest, I haven't done much. I do not listen to his show anymore. I didn't listen to it that often to start with (occasionally at best) but I have since stopped completely because Klatt has been rubbing me the wrong way. Also, any game he is commenting on I typically mute or switch to a different game just because his attitude, even when he's not commenting on a buff game, has started to annoy me to the point where I just can't listen anymore. Any football conference pre-view or wrap up commentary show he may be on gets the same.

These measures are minuscule and qualify only in name as me "doing something about it", so I don't really have a leg to stand on with respect to me calling for Klatt to do something about the buffs. On that point, touché, I am no better than Klatt because I am just making noise bitching but not really doing anything. I do still have a right to my opinion, as does Klatt, and in my opinion I think he has taken his bitching to far and I'm not convinced it is entirely in service of helping the buff program. As such, he has lost my support until he decides to change his tune. If you like, you can apply the same opinion to me.

Fair enough. I stated that Klatt shouldn't bitch unless he's willing to do something about it, and because I have been bitching about Klatt's bitching you are calling me out and asking what I have done about it. I get it. Turn about is fair play (nice move too).

To be honest, I haven't done much. I do not listen to his show anymore. I didn't listen to it that often to start with (occasionally at best) but I have since stopped completely because Klatt has been rubbing me the wrong way. Also, any game he is commenting on I typically mute or switch to a different game just because his attitude, even when he's not commenting on a buff game, has started to annoy me to the point where I just can't listen anymore. Any football conference pre-view or wrap up commentary show he may be on gets the same.

These measures are minuscule and qualify only in name as me "doing something about it", so I don't really have a leg to stand on with respect to me calling for Klatt to do something about the buffs. On that point, touché, I am no better than Klatt because I am just making noise bitching but not really doing anything. I do still have a right to my opinion, as does Klatt, and in my opinion I think he has taken his bitching to far and I'm not convinced it is entirely in service of helping the buff program. As such, he has lost my support until he decides to change his tune. If you like, you can apply the same opinion to me.

+1

Klatt wasn't my favorite player ever or anything, and if he's questioning CJ's love for the program.. wtf. But to constantly call him out is pretty lame, the guy ended his career for the black and gold.

^^This. **** Texass and their POS cheap shot artists.

I'm totally with BlackNGold. I was a fan of JK when he played. I LOVE a radio show that is 80% Buff talk. I listen every day from about 12 to 12:30 but not much after that. But one thing I notice is that they get a **** load of Buff fans calling in. This show is proving, I hope, that there is a market for CU out there.

As for JK, he makes me crack up a lot and he really pisses me off from time to time. I think that is a great formula for success on a radio show. And I think that is a big part of this either by plan or just by evolution. JK and CJ are developing a great formula. Good Cop, Bad Cop. I think JK seriously does not like Hawkins. But that also plays into the schtick.

I'll say this about JK, he is very sharp. He is also getting better and better as a color commentator. Of course, he does the Big XII. But I listened to him do the high school game on Fox tonight. He is really good. Listen. He is young and is trying to make a name for himself. If he wants to become a national type of commentator, he will learn to tone it down a bit.

Good point. I usually listen everyday, and glad there is some Buff talk out there. Klatt has said some things lately that has really pissed me off as a Buff fan. Both Alfred and CJ have learned to tone it down over the years, so I'm sure Klatt will to.

A lot of fans on this board hate to hear the truth. They're highly sensitive to it, in fact. Klatt isn't sobering up from all the spiked Kool-Aid served by Hawkins, as some fans on this board still are.

A lot of fans on this board hate to hear the truth. They're highly sensitive to it, in fact. Klatt isn't sobering up from all the spiked Kool-Aid served by Hawkins, as some fans on this board still are.

Maybe. But Klatt is hardly a slave to the truth. He's got a strong opinion on Hawkins that is likely correct. But the things he uses to support that opinion are often less than accurate.

Klatt may be willing to use hyperbole to further his effort to get Hawkins fired. If so, I hope he succeeds.

Do any of you honestly think Klatt would be ranting like this if Hawkins were fired?

Back