What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Joel Klatt rips Hawk a new one.

This is what I would have liked to hear:

"2009 was not a successful season. Our performance from top to bottom was not where we expect it to be, and we are committed to meeting the expectations our fans and we as coaches have for our team.

There are a lot of things this team and our coaches need to do better in order to have a successful season, some of the biggest issues which will be priorities for us this fall include:

1. Consistent QB play
2. Improved O-line play
3. Committing fewer penalties than our opponents in every game.
4. All special team units ranking in the top half of our league.
5. 100% FG from inside 35 yds.
6. 75% FG from beyond 35 yds.
7. Ensuring all players on offense have complete grasp of the offense.
8. Committment to running the ball even when we're trailing.
9. Being in top half of our league in defensive sacks.
10. Positive turnover margin in every game.
11. Give up fewer than 10 plays of 30+ yards this season.
12. Be focused and ready to play at full effort from the minute we step onto the field (practices included).

Of course ther are other important goals, but these are the things we are most focused on accomplishing this fall, and if we are successful in improving in these areas I have no doubt we will be a bowl team this year and will be in contention for the North.

Me and the entire coaching staff are fired up for this season and are doing everything we can to field a team that will make this University proud and we are all united in this goal. We appreciate the support of all our fans and are determines to see to it that your devotion and support will be rewarded. Go Buffs!"

Or something like that.

^^^^^^This is all I have wanted to hear. Quit with the we are this close crap. We were 10 plays....You went 3-9 and had a terrible year from top to bottom. Everyone has to perfrom and coach better for us to turn this around. Pretty simple. Be honest and take responsibility. Period.

First off, winning cures all ills.

Secondly, I'm getting tired of people for criticizing hawk for saying nothing or saying positive things. When he was 'dodging the media' folks were ripping him. Now, he's back in public and people are ripping him. He's not going to come out and say that we suck and probably won't get to 500 this year, nor should he.

Maybe I'm missing something, he shouldn't have a 500 winning % this year? I don't understand the 500 thing. Why do people feel sorry for him - he's made millions and produced nothing?
obama-smoking.jpg

Last edited:
Winning would help his cause but he has let his mouth run. No he isnt supposed to say we suck and there is no hope, supposed to say we have work to do and get it done. That is what the guy gets paid for so stop feeding us the crap. If he would actually open up to the fanbase and ask for their support, quit calling us internet scum and talk to the fanbase instead of quoting some passage he read, they might get his back. I dont think it could hurt him any.

Even though Bzdelik is gone, I really liked his approach to dealing with fans & the media. He'd say "we didn't get the job done. We need to rebound better, and we need big guys to do that, and it's my job to get those big guys". He addressed the problem, he said what needed to be done to correct it, and took responsibility for taking the appropriate action. I've never, not once heard Hawkins do anything remotely like that. With him, it's always some line of jive.

I love Klatt and Kreckman.... best sports show in the state. Too bad they're on 1510 or whatever... miserable signal

Completely agree. They are pretty funny, way better then those old guys on the other channel. They talk a lot of Buffs, and hopefully there will be some positive stuff for them to talk soon.

I was listening to Klatt interviewing Hawkins last year, and he asked Hawkins a question at he very end of the interview. Hawkins didn't bother to give a 3 second answer, and didn't answer Klatt at all. Instead, he said he just got a signal from his SID saying he had to go. Yeah, as if that son of a bitch is in such demand, he can't spare a few seconds. He basically puked in Klatt's face. Awesome!

Klatt and Kreckman are really good. Joel does seem to have an agenda as for as Hawkins is concerned. But thats OK. That is what talk radio is all about. I got pissed at Joel a while back for it. But I'm over it. If Hawkins wants to shut Klatt up, he needs to win. Then, when Joel invites him on the show, Hawkins can tell him to stick it.

Klatt and Kreckman are really good. Joel does seem to have an agenda as for as Hawkins is concerned. But thats OK. That is what talk radio is all about. I got pissed at Joel a while back for it. But I'm over it. If Hawkins wants to shut Klatt up, he needs to win. Then, when Joel invites him on the show, Hawkins can tell him to stick it.
What would be your opinion if 2010 is another losing season?

Why would you get pissed at Joel for criticizing Hawkins? Or want Hawk to tell Joel to stick it? Seriously DBT your pro-Hawk feelings are sometimes downright scary and honestly disgust me. Everything that Hawk talks at CU, Joel has walked: hardwork, dignity, doing things the right way and winning. Joel bleeds black and gold and stood up to media pressure the likes of which Hawk couldn't even fathom, while not earning a penny, and Hawk makes a cool million. Joel produced at CU, Hawkins hasn't. When all is said and done, Joel Klatt is and always will be a Buff, Hawk will be a failed legacy. Klatt has earned the right to call it like it is when it comes to things CU.

When all is said and done, Joel Klatt is and always will be a Buff, Hawk will be a failed legacy. Klatt has earned the right to call it like it is when it comes to things CU.

I'll agree with this. Although I maintain that it was a sad state of affairs that led us to depend on a walk on to be our starting QB for three years.

Why would you get pissed at Joel for criticizing Hawkins? Or want Hawk to tell Joel to stick it? Seriously DBT your pro-Hawk feelings are sometimes downright scary and honestly disgust me. Everything that Hawk talks at CU, Joel has walked: hardwork, dignity, doing things the right way and winning. Joel bleeds black and gold and stood up to media pressure the likes of which Hawk couldn't even fathom, while not earning a penny, and Hawk makes a cool million. Joel produced at CU, Hawkins hasn't. When all is said and done, Joel Klatt is and always will be a Buff, Hawk will be a failed legacy. Klatt has earned the right to call it like it is when it comes to things CU.
I'm not "pro Hawkins" and I agree with everything you say about Joel. However, I think he gets a bit over the top in his criticism of Hawkins. I think he has a bit of an agenda and that is to make a name for himself as a radio personality. Thats all. That does not mean I don't like him. He does an excellent job and, most of the time, he and Nate crack me up. But WTF am I doing trying to explain myself. You obviously only hear what you want to hear because you have no clue where I stand on Hawkins. :smile2:

Well perception is reality these days. You **** up at one of the best programs in the country, say crap, and dont produce. Trust me, you are gonna hear about it. The dude wouldve got fired at a Texas high school by now. Geez just shut up and show us.

DBT your pro-Hawk feelings are sometimes downright scary and honestly disgust me.

Actually, I think DBT's willingness to stick to his principles in the face of all this hate is quite admirable. Unlike Hawkins he's admitted he was wrong - as were lots of us. To continue to characterize him as "pro-Hawk" seems wrong, too. Anyone who reads these posts regularly knows his position has evolved.

Guess I'm setting myself to "disgust" you as well, so go ahead and rip me now, but I'm with DBT on this one.

Actually, I think DBT's willingness to stick to his principles in the face of all this hate is quite admirable. Unlike Hawkins he's admitted he was wrong - as were lots of us. To continue to characterize him as "pro-Hawk" seems wrong, too. Anyone who reads these posts regularly knows his position has evolved.

Guess I'm setting myself to "disgust" you as well, so go ahead and rip me now, but I'm with DBT on this one.
Thanks. All we can do is see what happens. If he produces, great. If he doesn't, see ya. I just mainly get tired of all the cheap shots taken by anonomous posters on message boards. As for Klatt. As much as I like him and Nate, I have to say that even aside from Hawkins, they get a bit edgy at times. Also, they are not exactly "caller friendly." They do not allow callers to say more than one thing and, after they have, its "see ya." I guess what I'm saying is that to them its all about them. To an old guy like me, it seems like a sign of what seems to becomeing a more and more superficial, narcisistic generation.

You know what it is with me? All these jabs and name calling toward Hawkins have become like the stale old joke that someone tells over and over again. It is just getting really old. Its ridiculous when Hawkins can make a fairly inocuous statement in an interview and it leads to a 5 page thread bashing him. Hawkins is what he is as far as interviews go. We all know how he rolls. It doesn't matter. All that matters is what happens on the field from now on. I just don't think the constant airing of our dirty laundry on a public web site can do anything positive for our program. Thats where I'm coming from when I seemingly defend Hawkins.

Maybe Dan Hawkins believes he's living the Colorado football version of the Book of Job.
The devil, disguised as Internet sCUm wrongly are tormenting Hawkins for his terrible record, and attribute his suckatude to being clueless about football. But Coach Hawkins has a pure football heart, and is merely being "thrown into the fire" by the devil, who has permission from god to jack with Hawkins and the CU faithful.

Eliphaz the Temanite (a decendant of Esau from Lost), Zophar the Naamathite and Bildad the Shuhite are Mike Bohn, Phil DiStephano, and Bruce Benson. While they are "friends" of Hawkins, they have their doubts about his abilities and let him know it behind closed doors.

Good football at CU really is "thisclose" and things "start to pop" in 2010. Ten win seasons follow and Dan Hawkins is rewarded with silver and gold. The purity of Hawkins devotion to his players is recognized by the CUAD, which begs for forgiveness by offering a seven digit longhorn sized salary and seven fewer games at invesco against the Rams.

The football god atones for Dan Hawkins' punishment by doubling the number of four stars, five stars, and improving the training facilities. He lives for 140 years and is blessed to see Cody, his grand children and even great, great grandchildren successfully coach BCS level football.

DBT and Rodrigo are given hoodies for keeping an open mind and for playing devil's advocate.

I will now put down the hooka.:smokin:

Last edited by a moderator:
DBT is a good guy. I think he pretty much wants what we all want, CU being what it used to be. As a head football coach, yes it is your job to help kids become men and mature them, it is also your job to win. As far as im concerned, he is fair game with his "close" comments to whoever wants to take a shot at him. Put up or shut up, that simple really.

I understand the fact that the constant Hawk bashing gets old. Here's the thing, though: Hawk deserves it. The guy isn't getting the job done. Until he does, he deserves all the s.h.i.t. that comes his way. All this talk about "getting up in the morning and doing things the right way" is a smokescreen for LOSING. His job is to win, not lose. He hasn't managed to figure that one out yet. Until he does, the criticism will continue.
Let's also keep in mind that he got a three plus year pass around here. At this time last year, we were all still singing his praises. We were looking forward to the ass kicking that we'd be administering to our opponents all year long. Hawk has only had to deal with the critics for less than a year. Unfortunately for him, he still has four months until his team takes the field again for us to judge whether he's turned it around or not. Tough titties. That's what happens when you lose to CSU, Toledo, KSU and Iowa State. If he doesn't like it, he's free to go get a job somewhere else. Until then, deal with it.

DBT is a good guy. I think he pretty much wants what we all want, CU being what it used to be. As a head football coach, yes it is your job to help kids become men and mature them, it is also your job to win. As far as im concerned, he is fair game with his "close" comments to whoever wants to take a shot at him. Put up or shut up, that simple really.

I sometimes wonder if he is really helping these players grow as people. I don't think he is teaching them to do things right - whatever that means. I believe he is teaching them if you can make excuses you will get by on shabby work. I never hear him say that it is unacceptable to keep jumping offsides or not getting a play in on time or giving up long plays. People made fun of Barnett when he threatened to take the decals off the Helmets because they were not playing like Buffaloes play. The result was the team went on the road to beat a good Texas A&M team. What you may not know behind the scenes - that team only had 8 seniors and had lost several close games to some good teams (USC, UW, ) and had gotten their butts kicked by a good KSU team which Barnett was afraid was going to cause his team to totally collapse without the senior leadership to rally around. He felt he had to get them to claw out a victory...do not doubt that helped the team in the 2001 season. I think that is how you help young people grow show what they are capable of if they really apply themselves. Coach Mac was very similar - incredible passion which he taught to his players.

You know what it is with me? All these jabs and name calling toward Hawkins have become like the stale old joke that someone tells over and over again. It is just getting really old. Its ridiculous when Hawkins can make a fairly inocuous statement in an interview and it leads to a 5 page thread bashing him. Hawkins is what he is as far as interviews go. We all know how he rolls. It doesn't matter. All that matters is what happens on the field from now on. I just don't think the constant airing of our dirty laundry on a public web site can do anything positive for our program. Thats where I'm coming from when I seemingly defend Hawkins.

This program under hawkins is a "stale old joke"....

I sometimes wonder if he is really helping these players grow as people. I don't think he is teaching them to do things right - whatever that means. I believe he is teaching them if you can make excuses you will get by on shabby work. I never hear him say that it is unacceptable to keep jumping offsides or not getting a play in on time or giving up long plays. People made fun of Barnett when he threatened to take the decals off the Helmets because they were not playing like Buffaloes play. The result was the team went on the road to beat a good Texas A&M team. What you may not know behind the scenes - that team only had 8 seniors and had lost several close games to some good teams (USC, UW, ) and had gotten their butts kicked by a good KSU team which Barnett was afraid was going to cause his team to totally collapse without the senior leadership to rally around. He felt he had to get them to claw out a victory...do not doubt that helped the team in the 2001 season. I think that is how you help young people grow show what they are capable of if they really apply themselves. Coach Mac was very similar - incredible passion which he taught to his players.

:congrats:
I couldn't agree more. They're being taught that results don't matter.

That is a good post and I agree with you.

that KSU team arguably one of the best teams in the nation that year. they lost twice to eventual NC Oklahoma and ass-kicked Tennessee in the Cotton Bowl.

those guys were freakishly evil on D, and brought the heat. something i'd like to see us do instead of drop 8.

Last edited:
Be interesting if we could dig up the thread from last fall with all the Klatt bashing that was done after Joel predicted that the Buffs would struggle in 2009 and would probably need to beat Nebraska to go to a bowl game.

Back