What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jon Embree fired as CU Football HC

Worst idea ever!
I can see why they'd have him on the list:
He's generally a winner
We say CU is a tough environment for a coach, how about a military academy especially when it comes to recruiting
Great reputation in state

Problem is he has no BCS experience

I am perfectly OK with him being on the list of people they should be talking to about the job but he would probably come in at #10 on my list.

He's generally a winner
We say CU is a tough environment for a coach, how about a military academy especially when it comes to recruiting

I am perfectly OK with him being on the list of people they should be talking to about the job but he would probably come in at #10 on my list.

I normally would like a name like his on the list, and agree that he should be around #10. My fear is CU will not make a serious run at #1-9 and settle for #10

I'm not jumping up and down

I knew change needed to be made and Jon wasn't the answer, but it kind of makes me sad to see this official. He cared so much and it was his dream job, I can't imagine what he must be feeling right now. Thanks and good luck Embo!

He's generally a winner

Military academies have an advantage no one talks abouot. EVERYONE is on scholarship. So, you give schollys to 40 kids a year with the "suggestion" they try FB. You cut the fat and keep the meat...it isn't that hard to figure out.

I'm kinda bummed out. I know the firing was legit, I'm just not sure how I feel about letting a coach go after only two years. Especially someone like Embree.

Yeah, me too. The guy bleeds bland and gold and it was his dream job, but he was set up to fail with no real AD support and awful and inexperienced ACs. He wasn't ready and perhaps he was never going to be. He didn't have to take it and run it the way he did, but the past can't be changed.

GL Embree I wish it had worked itself differently.

This is no time to celebrate. Jon has been and will continue to be a great Buff. I feel sad that he could not make CU great again because there was no one who cared more.

Thank you, Jon, and good luck in your next gig. I will be rooting for you.

Re: I'm not jumping up and down

The leadership who hired Embree recognized their mistake. Atleast he gets a severence.

It is yet to be seen what those who hired and fired Embree will do now that the page has been turned.

May this nasty episode serve to strengthen the resolve to escape from the abyss and come back stronger.

I don't think anyone is. We liked these guys and obviously wanted them to succeed. The beatdowns were just too much.

I hope we don't have much attrition, and that the guys understand that things should be better in the future.

Ok....let's feel bad for a moment, then move on. This is a critical time for this program. Thanks, Jon, for your efforts. And enjoy the huge payout.

The leadership who hired Embree recognized their mistake. Atleast he gets a severence.

It is yet to be seen what those who hired and fired Embree will do now that the page has been turned.

May this nasty episode serve to strengthen the resolve to escape from the abyss and come back stronger.

I hope all of these things come to pass. Glory, glory Colorado.

Yeah, me too. The guy bleeds bland and gold and it was his dream job, but he was set up to fail with no real AD support and awful and inexperienced ACs. He wasn't ready and perhaps he was never going to be. He didn't have to take it and run it the way he did, but the past can't be changed.

GL Embree I wish it had worked itself differently.

He was set up to fail a little. However, failing to install an offense, calling a qb sneak on a first down, and failing to get a play in during a game does not reek of having your **** together as a coach. And then there is the defense.

Im sorry Jon. I really am.

As much as the firing of D2 Dan had me celebrating, the firing of JE has me in no celebratory mood even though it was the right move I believe.

Of course I have no inside knowledge, but I get the feeling that Bohn told JE today that EB and Brown had to go and JE refused leading to his dismissal.

I wish JE & EB the best and future success.

Great work everyone and especially Nik. While nobody celebrates the failure of Jon Embree, you can take great credit in influencing the process. We now start the process of rebuilding this great program

Thank you, Thank you CU Administration for showing a commitment to football.

Great work everybody involved in letting the administration know that the state of our football program was unacceptable.

Good luck to Embree and staff in their future endeavors. I know that they cared, and I am still proud to call them great Buffs.

He's generally a winner

I'm not surprised Calhoun is on the list. Bohn has worked at Air Force and hired from Air Force (Bzdelik) in the past. I'm confident Calhoun is a better game day coach and will have the team ready to play better than Embree, but can he recruit? Problem is there are so many good division 1 jobs open right now the competition will be stiff for the good coaching candidates.

I think this was the right move, but I am sad for Embree. He's a good man who I believe sincerely wanted to bring his alma mater back to the glory days. He was just in over his head. I hope he lands a good pro assistant job (if that's what he wants)

I am relieved and absolutely sure this was necessary. Doesn't mean I am dancing around. I just want what is best for this program.

I would like to thank JE and EB for taking on the monumental task of trying to right the ship after the last regime. It was just to much for them to handle and beyond their capabilities at this point. I would not be opposed to them returning at some point in the future after they have proven themselves capable of handling the responsibility of an entire program. I think it was a case of hiring based on emotion and not on qualification. JE and EB will be fine and will continue to grow as coaches. They will hopefully use this experience as a chance to learn from their mistakes and grow as people and as coaches.

I also want to thank Nik for leading the effort, for putting out the facts, and making the final push. It is both a sad day and a day to look forward to the future.

I'm kinda bummed out. I know the firing was legit, I'm just not sure how I feel about letting a coach go after only two years. Especially someone like Embree.
I am with you. Now we get to start all over AGAIN. Personally, I would have liked him to stay one more year to see if he could get it flipped. With Bohner doing the new hire, I am not confident at all he will hire a winner.

Embree, EB and Kanavis are all great Buffs. The latter 2, arguably each the best ever at his position. It really is a sad day for the Buff faithful.

Embree said friday, that Bohn had reassured him he would not be fired. So did Bohn lie or did someone higher up make the call? I'd bet on the second. i think donors pressured the admin and did an "or else". They maybe even pnied up the money for any termination costs. I also wonder if they said who they want as the next coach.

If Embree was given the choice, " stepdown or be fired", I think he would have resigned.

Go Buffs

A bull**** call to fire CU's Head Coach Jon Embree after just 2 seasons as Head Coach.

I am not celebrating the dismissal of John Embree. He is a good man, a loyal Buff and a proud CU Alum. I wish that he had brough more success in his short tenure.

I am pleased that we have the opportunity to place a HC in the program that brings experience and demonstrated success.

I WILL be renewing my season tickets. Go BUFFS.

Back