What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jon Major?

Hmm. How far are we allowed to go in discussing guys on the team? I mean in discussing them "in a negative" way?

That crossed a line for me (obviously). The dude could have played at any school in the nation, and chooses his homestate Buffs. He's frustrated with inury his first year, busting his ass to help his team, and somebody's willing to call him a disappointment before he even sets foot on the field?

To me, part of being a good college football fan is supporting the student-athletes.

I think as long as it is football related, we can post negatives. But we should never 'tear down' or personally attack any of the guys.

Per our amazing terms and conditions "No personal attacks on players or recruits. They are students trying their best, they are not getting paid out there."

I think as long as it is football related, we can post negatives. But we should never 'tear down' or personally attack any of the guys.

It's kind of a gray area on this one. But calling a kid a disappointment based on his position on a depth chart before he is even given a chance to contribute sucks in my opinion. Whatever. I'm not one to tell people what to say or think.

It's kind of a gray area on this one. But calling a kid a disappointment based on his position on a depth chart before he is even given a chance to contribute sucks in my opinion. Whatever. I'm not one to tell people what to say or think.
Not just the comments about Jon, but also Jeff. It seems to me like this thread is on a slippery slope.

Per our amazing terms and conditions "No personal attacks on players or recruits. They are students trying their best, they are not getting paid out there."

Does this mean this rule doesn't apply to USC players?? :smile2:

I agree. If the kid hasn't had a chance to get on the field due to injury, how the hell can he be a disappointment?

Personally I don't think it's a violation of the terms and coditions, but it's a pretty serious ****ty fan violation.... :huh:

Again - I don't like attacking our players either, but I think as long as we are talking football, then negative comments are allowed.

I will talk with the other mods, as I might be in the minority. We can tweak the rules if necessary.

Again - I don't like attacking our players either, but I think as long as we are talking football, then negative comments are allowed.

I will talk with the other mods, as I might be in the minority. We can tweak the rules if necessary.

Butch Cassidy: [low voice, to Sundance] Listen, I don't mean to be a sore loser, but when it's done, if I'm dead, kill him.
Sundance Kid: [low voice to Butch] Love to.
[waves to Harvey and smiles]
Butch Cassidy: No, no, not yet. Not until me and Harvey get the rules straightened out.
Harvey Logan: Rules? In a knife fight? No rules.
[Butch immediately kicks Harvey in the groin]
Butch Cassidy: Well, if there aint' going to be any rules, let's get the fight started. Someone count. 1,2,3 go.
Sundance Kid: [quickly] 1,2,3, go.
[Butch knocks Harvey out]
Flat Nose Curry: I was really rooting for you, Butch.
Butch Cassidy: Well, thank you, Flatnose. That's what sustained me in my time of trouble.

Is this conversation actually happening? I ask whether it's time to declare Major a disappointment and there is concern that this violates the TOS? Really? Seriously? Who are you people? And have you read every other thread on this site?

Is this conversation actually happening? I ask whether it's time to declare Major a disappointment and there is concern that this violates the TOS? Really? Seriously? Who are you people? And have you read every other thread on this site?

Relax. Just clarifying ze rules. Most of us are uncomfortable with attacks against the players, particularly when they come from a guy with 10 posts to his name, and they are against a player who has been hurt for the last year.

You're probably okay, but we're just trying to keep the site with some semblance of dignity :lol:

OK, but it seems to me that the site should be open to thoughtful, open discussion about CU football players -- the good and the bad. Trust me, I've been at AZ's site and know what it's like to only hear negatives. That's not my intent. I think my question is a legit one, and while it may not be something that people want to think about, I think it's supportable. I also agree that we shouldn't be throwing kids under the bus on a personal level. I hope Jon has a productive career at CU, and that he becomes a great LB/DE. And I hope he eats a couple of Jonas Bros. in the process.

I agree. If the kid hasn't had a chance to get on the field due to injury, how the hell can he be a disappointment?

I think its a fair critique although wrongly applied to major jsut becuase he's been injured, but what about Katoa? I'd call him a disappointment and he never played a down.

I think its a fair critique although wrongly applied to major jsut becuase he's been injured, but what about Katoa? I'd call him a disappointment and he never played a down.

That's why I say "if he hasn't seen the field due to injury". Even then, if a kid is continually "injured" for 4 years, eventually they become a disappointment. But Major has had one injury, missed one season, and is getting ready for season #2 as a redshirt Frosh. I'm disappointed at how his career has started, because it sucks he had to sit out that year, for him and for the team. But that is different than saying that HE is a disappointment...

I 'm probably being a little hard on Major. It's just that he reminds me of one of the Jonas brothers.

Mohler and Smart are good players. They are not great players. For our defense to be successful this year, we'll need our LB crew to play very, very well. I would have hoped that Major would be turning heads and cracking the 2-deep, because he's allegedly got MAJOR talent (zing!) It's just not happening.

By the way, what is with everyone's obsession with eating sh*t sandiwches?

40 years thick and thin, that's yer claim, eh? I'll call and raise you eight! Let's jes' see:

Okay, wiseguy, what was the weather like when Essington lost to the Cal Bears at Folsom? Or when Steve Vogel led the comeback against KU? What was unique about Gary Washington when he returned a KO 76 yds. against KSU and what was the weather that day?

Mohler is likely to play on Sundays next year and as has been noted Smart was 2nd team All Big XII, so your claim he wasn't even HM has already puts your BS behind the eightball, so don't go claiming you call 'em as you see 'em, unlike you concede your glasses are thicker than the Hansen Bros.'s glasses!

Injuries are, unfortunately, part of the equation when looking at whether a player's season/career is disappointing. And sometimes guys have a hard time returning to form after an injury. Ced Cormier and OC Oliver would've been great, great players at CU if they could have stayed healthy.

I wish that Jon had gone out there in the fall and staked a claim to a starting position or a spot on the 2-deep. Doesn't sound like that's going to happen. For me, that's a disappointment. Howver, I'm hoping he'll get some playing time this season on special teams and be able to step in next season. I hope he makes me look like an idiot with his play.

I think it's totally fair to label someone like Sione Tau a disappointment. Major, not so much although I could see how someone would be disappointed that he's had to over come an injury and we've not had the chance to see him on the field...yet.

As for Tau, he's the definition of a disappointment. 3 years on campus, academically ineligible 2 years and seems to pretty much not care.

Injuries are, unfortunately, part of the equation when looking at whether a player's season/career is disappointing. And sometimes guys have a hard time returning to form after an injury. Ced Cormier and OC Oliver would've been great, great players at CU if they could have stayed healthy.

I wish that Jon had gone out there in the fall and staked a claim to a starting position or a spot on the 2-deep. Doesn't sound like that's going to happen. For me, that's a disappointment. Howver, I'm hoping he'll get some playing time this season on special teams and be able to step in next season. I hope he makes me look like an idiot with his play.

I get this point of view. Personally I'm not disappointed in Major, he's after a RS-freshman that playing a position that has a **** ton of experience in front of him.

I'll say all I ever had with regard to the LB's that Brian Cabral is coaching: I have full trust in Coach Cabral and he's one of the best coaches in the entire country.

Essington was Mr. Irrelevant, as I remember. I don't remember anything about the weather, so it wasn't that memorable from a hot or cold perspective. I think 82 was McCartney's first year as coach, and we sucked.

I vaguely remember the game in which Gary Washington returned the TD. The weather was miserable. I believe it was 1975 or so? Washington was deaf, too.

Boo-yah.

- I've been a CU fan through thick and thin over the past 40 years, but I call it like I see it.

Is it time to declare Clark Evans a big disappointment? I know he's behind Cody and Hansen, but I would've guessed he would be running way ahead of both guys. Cody and Hansen are both good QBs and better people, but Clark Evans should be ahead of both of them if he was living up to his ranking. Period.

Now you've done it. No body calls out Clark Evans.

Essington was Mr. Irrelevant, as I remember. I don't remember anything about the weather, so it wasn't that memorable from a hot or cold perspective. I think 82 was McCartney's first year as coach, and we sucked.

I vaguely remember the game in which Gary Washington returned the TD. The weather was miserable. I believe it was 1975 or so? Washington was deaf, too.

Boo-yah.

Gotcha, posuer!

Essington was hardly irrelevent at the time, he was a touted recruit and memorable: left-handed, bright red hair and a passing phenom; he had a blood disease which cut his career short. And the weather that day was raining like a summbitch, one of the most unforgettable days ever at Folsom.

Washington was deaf, but that game weather was clear and dry, what do you mean "miserable"?

Vogle.....???

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess go ahead and turn this thread into Sportsfan labeling random players on the team disappointments. Does not violate TOS in my opinion, just makes him look like a total jackass (and I'm basing this partly on posts he makes at either sites).

Already called out Jeff Smart, Jon Major, and Clark Evans in this thread. Go ahead and add to the list dickhole.

1st post here on allbuffs, but I've been around the block for many, many years, just quit AZ's site and need a new place to go for Buff news. No way in hell I can do netbuffs. So you're stuck with me. And F*CK OFF with any talk that I'm a sunshine pumper or a doom and gloom guy - I've been a CU fan through thick and thin over the past 40 years, but I call it like I see it.

Is it time to declare Major a big disappointment? I know he's behind Mohler and Smart, but I would've guessed 2 years ago that he would be running way ahead of both guys. Smart and Mohler are both good LBs and better people, but the #1 recruit in Colorado last year should be ahead of both of them if he was living up to his ranking. Period.
Simple answers to stupid questions.

No.

OK, but it seems to me that the site should be open to thoughtful, open discussion about CU football players -- the good and the bad. Trust me, I've been at AZ's site and know what it's like to only hear negatives. That's not my intent. I think my question is a legit one, and while it may not be something that people want to think about, I think it's supportable. I also agree that we shouldn't be throwing kids under the bus on a personal level. I hope Jon has a productive career at CU, and that he becomes a great LB/DE. And I hope he eats a couple of Jonas Bros. in the process.

What exactly drove you from AZ's site? I don't have a sub over there.

Just asking.:thumbsup:

I'm your worst ****ing nightmare! I could neg rep you into oblivion, and don't forget it! :lol:

It's good. I just wanted to make sure we didn't get too negative on the kids. Now, the coaches? Fair game because they get paid a gazillion more than I do.

And welcome to Allbuffs, the best Buff site going. It's good to have another old ****er on board. I get tired of dealing with these young assholes.

Last edited:
Gotcha, posuer!

Essington was hardly irrelevent at the time, he was a touted recruit and memorable: left-handed, bright red hair and a passing phenom; he had a blood disease which cut his career short. And the weather that day was raining like a summbitch, one of the most unforgettable days ever at Folsom.

Washington was deaf, but that game weather was clear and dry, what do you mean "miserable"?

Vogle.....???

Essington was the last player picked in the 1984 draft, and hence "Mr. Irrelevant." I don't think anybody was trying to dis Randy. Since he hadn't played in two years, getting drafted at all was something. Of course, al Davis used to love CU players.

hey you kids, get off my lawn!!!! :lol:
abe_simpson.gif

Back