What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jon Major?

does major look like a Jonas brothjer or is there something I am missing?

Someone else said this here or elsewhere, but I agree that it's time we expect highly recruited freshman to expect to come in and push starters for PT, not be the starters. At least, we are getting there.

Sonce I'm in a bad mood after ****ing Aaron Cook blows the game in one inning, where is Sportsfan101? He comes here ripping on players and posters then disappears? Nice debut.

I think its time for the junta to set up a secret police and have some show trials for the trolls. They are showing distinct counter-revolutionary tendencies.

Is it time to declare Major a big disappointment? I know he's behind Mohler and Smart, but I would've guessed 2 years ago that he would be running way ahead of both guys. Smart and Mohler are both good LBs and better people, but the #1 recruit in Colorado last year should be ahead of both of them if he was living up to his ranking. Period.

If you're really banking on rankings, Major and Mohler were both four star players so based on that logic they should have been running neck and neck with each other. But then Mohler had some experience at the Jr. College level so he'd be ahead of Major if all things were equal and no injuries had taken place

But an injury did occur, which put Major farther behind than Mohler who has been healthy the entire time. And Smart has been in the system for a few seasons now and knows what he's supposed to do.

You can't run ahead of anyone if the major ligament in your knee has been torn. So talk of disappointment is a couple of years away. It took a season to repair and rehab the knee. It'll take another season for Major to trust the knee and find his place on the field.

F*ck you if you think I'm a troll. I've been a CU fan longer than you, I give more $ than you, and I care as much as anyone. Now get off my lawn.

You're dumb if you think Mohler was ranked as highly as Jon.

Mohler had over 50 scholarship offers out of HS, was Parade All-American, Colorado's Gatorade POY, was PrepStars' #19 player in America.

Mohler is a good kid but didn't have D-1 offers our of HS. He was ranked #17 coming out of junior college.

Also saw an article this morning where Hawk said Jon wasn't going to play much on special teams this season. The good news: we're so deep in defensive backfield that we don't need LBs playing special teams.

F*ck you if you think I'm a troll. I've been a CU fan longer than you, I give more $ than you, and I care as much as anyone. Now get off my lawn.

Mohler had over 50 scholarship offers out of HS, was Parade All-American, Colorado's Gatorade POY, was PrepStars' #19 player in America.

Mohler is a good kid but didn't have D-1 offers our of HS. He was ranked #17 coming out of junior college.
Welcome back! :thumbsup:

Major said in the paper today, "Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's OK. I wouldn't say I'm 100 percent but I'm definitely getting there."

Hawkins said, "He's doing a nice job, and ... he's very smart. He gets in the right place. He'll hit you a ton."

So, time will tell.

Does it bother anyone that when Major was being recruited he was 6'4" 230#s and two years later he is 6'1" and 220 lbs. (cubuffs.com roster)? This seems epidemic in college recruiting not just here but everywhere.

Are coaches doing their homework? Or are they going to recruiting sites and making easy decisions that placate the fan base?

Thanks for the welcome back.

I've said in this post that I've been too hard on Jon. I note that Hawk says he's a good kid and could be a good player for us. Time will tell. I hope he works hard and keeps improving and becomes an impact player for us.

I too saw the size discrepency between his HS and college rosters. I guess a kid's roster size in HS is like their 40 times -- highly embellished.

Does it bother anyone that when Major was being recruited he was 6'4" 230#s and two years later he is 6'1" and 220 lbs. (cubuffs.com roster)? This seems epidemic in college recruiting not just here but everywhere.

Are coaches doing their homework? Or are they going to recruiting sites and making easy decisions that placate the fan base?
That is a really good question. Recruiting is an inexact science. You also see it in the NFL draft. Ted Gregory ring a bell? :lol:

The University of Miami was going way too much by other peoples ratings of players and perception of recruiting prospects. There was a big article about it earlier this summer where the coaches at Miami attributed a lot of their decline to getting away from relying on personal evaluations and recommendations from HS coaches they trust.

Yes Mohler was #17 coming out of Jr. College

And Major was #150 coming out of High School.

You think the other 149 players rated above Major had a significant impact on their teams yet? Some have. Some have not. It's an instant leap for some, a four year process for others.

Read the ranking dude. They both were rated 4 star 5.9 by rivals. The fact remains that Mohler had additional experience at a higher level of football than the Colorado high school scene and didn't sustain a significant injury once arriving on campus. So he should be ahead of Major at this time. Mohler wasn't as highly ranked coming out of high school, but has made the most of his time at his Jr. College to be a highly ranked recruit in the 2008 cycle.

You bring in Junior college guys to add instant depth to your squad (i.e the thought of them being more mentally and physically prepared to play.).

You're dumb if you think there is no possible way Mohler could be a better LB when when he stepped on to the CU campus. You sure have not been all that complimentary of Mohler and I do not understand why. He is a pretty good LB, probably our best LB. Comparing the two in high school is pretty much worthless because they're at different stages in their careers right now.

Sounds like a good thing that Major is running 3rd. He is still not 100%. The other two guys are experienced and are players. Majors will make an impact--this year and in the future.

GO BUFFS!!!

Majors will make an impact--this year and in the future.

Of course he will. He's the six million dollar man!

majors3.jpg

Boulder Buff, I said Major was ranked higher than Mohler. I never said there was no way Mohler could be a better LB when he stepped on campus.

I've never said anything negative about Mohler. But there's no way he's our best LB -- he isn't running with the 1s right now.

Buffocrat, I do read the rankings. Rivals may have had them both 4 stars, but Major was much higher ranked according to other services. I agree that recruiting stars don't mean a lot once a kid steps on campus.

Buffnik, I did see that article on Miami. I've also seen statistics that say that a 5 star player has a statstically significant higher likelihood to be ranked all-conference than a 4 star player. However, the 4 star player has a statistically significant higher likelihood to be ranked all-conference than a 3 star player.

Buffnik, I did see that article on Miami. I've also seen statistics that say that a 5 star player has a statstically significant higher likelihood to be ranked all-conference than a 4 star player. However, the 4 star player has a statistically significant higher likelihood to be ranked all-conference than a 3 star player.

Totally agree. I was responding to someone else's question. In general, I can't see anyone complaining if we were to ever bring in a class of all 4* and 5* prospects. But that class would be very risky if the staff just sent out offers to everyone Rivals ranked high and didn't eliminate or elevate players based on direct evaluation, the kid fitting our system, etc. For that reason, and even though it won't get CUs classes ranked as highly, I actually like a balance of some Blue Chippers, a good number of 3* athletes that fit our system, and a few 2* or unrated kids that the coaches uncover as they do their scouting.

I think, but don't know, because, pretty much, I don't know jack ****, but don't they kind of rank JC players and HS players differently?

If stars and rankings determine who should be playing then Speedy should have never seen the field as he was the lowest rated of all our tailbacks last year (including I believe Moyd,) Nate Solder who was a 2* (as a tight end no less) has no business starting in front of Dannewitz who was rated as highly as the #53 OL in the country, I could go on but won't.

Fortunately star ratings and other high school accolades have some relation to how a guy is going to do in college but are not the end all. After all Speedy if healthy the whole season had a chance to go for 1000 yards behind a makeshift O-line last year. Solder is getting serious attention as a potential pro LT. Others fit this same profile.

Major was a very good HS player who certainly had his choice of where to go to school. Watching him in HS I also can see how the 240 was close to legit, height may have been fudged a bit. As many others have stated here it is hard to compete for a starting job when you have not been healthy and are still not completely back. Even if he had never gotten injured being behind Mohler and Smart is no disgrace. Mohler had a lot of choices where to go as well and as stated has the advantage of two additional years of maturity and competition. Smart is an overachiever but the minute starters are not determined by effectiveness you lose your team. Smart has been very effective.

I have no question that barring additional injury problems Major is going to turn into a big factor for us before he graduates. Give the kid a chance to grow into being a healthy major college football player.

Back