What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jon Wilner/Ohio State

ahoelsken

I read his piece on how the biggest remaining games for the Pac 12 are Ohio State at Northwestern and Ohio State at Michigan, and I'm not sure I agree with his notion that Ohio State gets a shot at Alabama/Georgia/LSU for the national title ahead of Oregon or Stanford. One could make a case for Clemson, Florida State, or Miami (all of whom could or do have better OOC wins than Ohio State), but not OSU. Thought I'd put it up here. Thoughts?

If Oregon goes undefeated, then I don't see how they get left out. Would be BS

Most national sentiment is that the Pac 12 is very good this year. All things being equal, a Pac 12 team should get precedence over a B1G.

Plus those are some crappy showcase games remaining for them.

Neither team has an exceptionally hard schedule. The difference is that Oregon has been kicking the **** at out everyone. And Ohio St struggle at home against Buffalo.

Agreed about Oregon's OOC but their conference schedule is way harder than OSU's. The Big10 is crap.

There is no way that an undefeated Oregon team does not go to the national championship.

Once we beat the Ducks this weekend, we can put this debate to rest. :thumbsup:

When we kick Oregon's ass, they'll be out of the championship hunt.

Oops, just saw Lawdogg's post. But he used the sarcasm font.

Last edited:
Not buying that. Even on the opposite coast the sentiment is this is a very strong Pac and the B1G is down

oregon got screwed in 2001; it can happen again. usc got screwed at least once, maybe twice, in the carroll era.

east coast media bias is not a myth.

we will see. it is hard to win them all, even playing a ****ty schedule like ohio state's.

oregon got screwed in 2001; it can happen again. usc got screwed at least once, maybe twice, in the carroll era.

My thoughts exactly. It would not shock me in the least if tOSU got in over a Pac-12 school, simply because they're in the eastern time zone. It might be from living in a "flyover" state my whole life, but IMO, the East Coast Bias is strong and showing no signs of getting weaker.

we will see. it is hard to win them all, even playing a ****ty schedule like ohio state's.

I'm more worried about Ohio State getting chosen over an undefeated Stanford. For Furd to go 13-0, they would have actually played an even more difficult schedule than Oregon would since they miss both CU and Zona from the South (maybe the 2 weakest teams) while also having Notre Dame on its schedule. Only knock on their schedule is that they pretty much got all their tough games at home.

Or what if Washington or UCLA runs the table?

We need the Buckeyes to lose.

To be honest, they probably will. I don't think the Buckeyes are all that great this year.

An undefeated Clemson is a bigger threat to Oregon than an undefeated Ohio State is

Wins over Florida State, Georgia, Miami (ACCCG) and South Carolina would pose a threat. Hell, even a road win at currently ranked Maryland might prove to carry a bit of weight in the end.

Wins over Florida State, Georgia, Miami (ACCCG) and South Carolina would pose a threat. Hell, even a road win at currently ranked Maryland might prove to carry a bit of weight in the end.

Exactly. Ohio State's resume wouldn't be anything close to that.

Hold on, I just read the article and Wilner is talking about Ohio State beating out a 1-loss Oregon or Stanford, not an undefeated Oregon/Stanford. In that case he's right - an undefeated Ohio State would be ranked higher than a 1-loss Pac-10 champ

If the Pac-12 champion (Oregon or Stanford) has one loss and Ohio State’s 13-0, it would be exceedingly difficult to nudge Urban Meyer’s team aside and claim a spot opposite the SEC champion — even though the Pac-12 is clearly superior to the B1G.

Hold on, I just read the article and Wilner is talking about Ohio State beating out a 1-loss Oregon or Stanford, not an undefeated Oregon/Stanford. In that case he's right - an undefeated Ohio State would be ranked higher than a 1-loss Pac-10 champ

My mistake, and I agree. That being said, I don't see how Oregon OR Stanford doesn't run the table. Nevertheless, Ohio State's resume is still weaker than anything the Pac 12 or ACC would put out there.

Sagarin has Oregon's SOS at a dismal 104th in the country. However, OSU is somehow worse at 119th. Clemson is 74th and Stanford is 41st.

Linky.

All of those numbers should rise over the rest of the season. Without diving into individual schedules, Sagarin's computer model rates the B1G less than Pac 12 North and South, SEC East and West, and the Big 12. the ACC is lower than the B1G.

Link

One would have to think that the Oregon/Stanford winner would be a shoo-in for the CCG barring any sort of slip up outside of that game. However, weirder things have happened and Clemson and an SEC team running the table would certainly complicate things.

Back