1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jon Wilner/Ohio State

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by ahoelsken, Oct 3, 2013.

1. ahoelsken

ahoelsken Well-Known Member

I read his piece on how the biggest remaining games for the Pac 12 are Ohio State at Northwestern and Ohio State at Michigan, and I'm not sure I agree with his notion that Ohio State gets a shot at Alabama/Georgia/LSU for the national title ahead of Oregon or Stanford. One could make a case for Clemson, Florida State, or Miami (all of whom could or do have better OOC wins than Ohio State), but not OSU. Thought I'd put it up here. Thoughts?

2. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

If Oregon goes undefeated, then I don't see how they get left out. Would be BS

3. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Most national sentiment is that the Pac 12 is very good this year. All things being equal, a Pac 12 team should get precedence over a B1G.

Plus those are some crappy showcase games remaining for them.

4. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Neither team has an exceptionally hard schedule. The difference is that Oregon has been kicking the **** at out everyone. And Ohio St struggle at home against Buffalo.

5. unionbuff

unionbuff Club Member Club Member

Agreed about Oregon's OOC but their conference schedule is way harder than OSU's. The Big10 is crap.

6. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

There is no way that an undefeated Oregon team does not go to the national championship.

7. lawdogg

lawdogg Club Member Club Member

Once we beat the Ducks this weekend, we can put this debate to rest. :thumbsup:

8. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

When we kick Oregon's ass, they'll be out of the championship hunt.

Oops, just saw Lawdogg's post. But he used the sarcasm font.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  9. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Not buying that. Even on the opposite coast the sentiment is this is a very strong Pac and the B1G is down

10. duaneallman8

duaneallman8 Member

Northwestern is a LEGIT team this year. Fitzgeralds best, I believe. I also think they have a pretty good shot at OSU this season.

11. duaneallman8

duaneallman8 Member

Was not intending to reply directly to you, CVille. It's just that I clicked 'reply' before I was signed in.

12. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

oregon got screwed in 2001; it can happen again. usc got screwed at least once, maybe twice, in the carroll era.

east coast media bias is not a myth.

we will see. it is hard to win them all, even playing a ****ty schedule like ohio state's.

13. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

My thoughts exactly. It would not shock me in the least if tOSU got in over a Pac-12 school, simply because they're in the eastern time zone. It might be from living in a "flyover" state my whole life, but IMO, the East Coast Bias is strong and showing no signs of getting weaker.

14. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I'm more worried about Ohio State getting chosen over an undefeated Stanford. For Furd to go 13-0, they would have actually played an even more difficult schedule than Oregon would since they miss both CU and Zona from the South (maybe the 2 weakest teams) while also having Notre Dame on its schedule. Only knock on their schedule is that they pretty much got all their tough games at home.

Or what if Washington or UCLA runs the table?

We need the Buckeyes to lose.

15. Alfred91

To be honest, they probably will. I don't think the Buckeyes are all that great this year.

16. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

An undefeated Clemson is a bigger threat to Oregon than an undefeated Ohio State is

17. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Wins over Florida State, Georgia, Miami (ACCCG) and South Carolina would pose a threat. Hell, even a road win at currently ranked Maryland might prove to carry a bit of weight in the end.

18. CarolinaBuff

Exactly. Ohio State's resume wouldn't be anything close to that.

19. CarolinaBuff

Hold on, I just read the article and Wilner is talking about Ohio State beating out a 1-loss Oregon or Stanford, not an undefeated Oregon/Stanford. In that case he's right - an undefeated Ohio State would be ranked higher than a 1-loss Pac-10 champ

20. ahoelsken

ahoelsken Well-Known Member

My mistake, and I agree. That being said, I don't see how Oregon OR Stanford doesn't run the table. Nevertheless, Ohio State's resume is still weaker than anything the Pac 12 or ACC would put out there.

21. Denver_sc

Denver_sc Club Member Club Member

Sagarin has Oregon's SOS at a dismal 104th in the country. However, OSU is somehow worse at 119th. Clemson is 74th and Stanford is 41st.

Linky.

All of those numbers should rise over the rest of the season. Without diving into individual schedules, Sagarin's computer model rates the B1G less than Pac 12 North and South, SEC East and West, and the Big 12. the ACC is lower than the B1G.

Link

One would have to think that the Oregon/Stanford winner would be a shoo-in for the CCG barring any sort of slip up outside of that game. However, weirder things have happened and Clemson and an SEC team running the table would certainly complicate things.

22. Alfred91

Obviously this all changes after we SHOCK THE WORLD tomorrow.