What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

JoPa and his entire staff should be fired

I think PSU should ****can the entire coaching staff and forfeit the rest of the season. NCAA should let all players transfer out of conference without penalty. I doubt it happens, though. Too much money to be made, you know...

How come nobody is bringing up the point that the alleged rapist was allowed continued access to the campus and athletic facilities on a regular basis - this for several years after he admitted to taking a shower there with a boy in 1998, and certainly after the charges that were known to be reported to Paterno occured? There are reports that he was with a young boy using athletic facilities as recently as last month.
The office he maintained on campus was part of his separation agreement when he resigned in '99. The AD wouldn't have negotiatied that, PSU Legal would have. You can absolutely assume that PSU Legal did not know of the charges, and therefore was unaware of how dangerous it was (and the inherent liability) to allow him to have continued access. To me, this is proof that the circle of the know was (and only was) the President-Athletic Director-Head Coach-witnesses-victim-perpretrator.

Espn just said JoePa could eventually be charged with something for this? Some kind of obstruction charge or what would it be? Know we have alot of lawyers on here.

This thread should be titled 'JoPa and his entire staff should be castrated'. One of the kids was 8. Football needs to take a backseat.

Espn just said JoePa could eventually be charged with something for this? Some kind of obstruction charge or what would it be? Know we have alot of lawyers on here.

Spanier, Schultz, Curley, Paterno and Mike M might all turn on each other eventually. My feeling there's something they covered up together. Mike M was an unpaid grad assistant in Spring of 2002. He was a paid coach by the next year. Did the top of the administration tell Mike M to shut up about it and we'll give u a coaching job to save the brand of the program?

If they could show he failed, in some way, to tell the truth, or obfuscated the matter, I could see an obstruciton of justice charge perhaps. Or if he lied to the Grand Jury, then a perjury charge. If he took a more active role in covering the mess up, he could be an accessory after the fact. My guess is the DA's are crawling all over the different potential defendants looking to get one of them to turn state's evidence and blow the case open against the other defendants. If something like that happens, this thing could get even uglier...if that is possible.

BTW, JoePa's son is a whopper, he's like half a foot taller and maybe 200 lbs. heavier than Joe Pa. Joe is alittle guy but his son is a pretty big dude.

Last edited:
The PSU culture, like that of many organizations, looks like something out of a Stanley Milgram experiment. People are conditioned (and maybe inherently disposed) to listen to authority. We pass off personal responsibility for things to those in authority. If you asked the GA if he should have directly intervened, he would probably say he should have. But in that moment within that culture, he didn't see himself as someone who could challenge a figure like Sandusky and didn't see it as his responsibility to do anything other than report it to the top dog so that he could decide what to do. He didn't even call Paterno until the next day. He told his story, he stuck to his story, and he was able to go on working there for the next 8 years as a loyal employee despite what he knew had gone on.

Footnote on Milgram - his experiments made it clear that any medium sized town in America has more than enough people who would do as they're told and run death camps if people in authority applied psychological pressure in the right way.

This is exactly why the hammer has to come down and come down hard. No gracefull exits, no sliding out the back door, no "Well we weren't sure so we couldn't do anything."

When you are talking about the safety of children then the message has to be loud and clear, if you are an adult whether you directly hurt the children or your actions allow someone else to hurt children, then you must follow through and protect the children. Protecting your job, protecting the image of your employer, protecting a "legacy," protecting authority all become secondary to the protection of the children.

By not responding in a manner that holds not only the abuser but also the enablers responsible for these crimes we give a message that the organization or individuals in the organization are more important than the victims. No matter what the law states about responsibility, the employees of an educational institution have an absolute responsibility to the safety of the children who may have contact with that institution, regardless of their position or the circumstances around it. You take the information to the police or child protective services, if there is nothing to the information the investigation by the authorities will find that out or the alleged violators will have their day in court. This is much more than these kids got out of this situation.

To my knowledge the names of the kids who were victims in this situation have not come out nor should they.

I wonder though how long it will be until the administration and governing body of the university starts looking at the differences in standards of evidence between the criminal courts and civil courts. JoePa and some others may be able to slide out of this criminally but this could get very, very expensive for PSU if a jury can be convinced that young boys were violated because a prominent employee or employees decided not to follow up on information that could have resulted in them looking bad but that would have saved kids from facing this abuse.

I don't have any idea what the limits to the liability that the university could be held to in this situation but I am sure some attorneys in the area are already looking into it.

The university is trying to minimize damage right now, do they further minimize damage by throwing JoePa and some others under the bus to deflect damage from them?

Do the lawyers on the board have any opinion on this idea?

If Tressel can be canned for covering up for some tattoos I sure as **** think that JoePa should be gonzo. Tomorrow

I think this will be horrifically expensive for PSU come civil suit time.

I agree. But in the end I could care less about the financial impacts to PSU. What I want is for everything to come to light. I want to know about everyone that knew and the entire culture developed to cover up such horrific actions. I want anyone and everyone that had any knowledge of this piece of ****s actions sent to jail, personally ruined and humiliated.

I am sure there will be plenty of people ducking for cover, blaming and hiding in this whole thing and the complete horrific truth will probably never surface. These ****ing people contributed to this guy's awful crime spree, and we know there are likely far more victims than has been reported. Hang 'em all!

Now the ****ing PSU fanbase is supporting Joe Pa outside of his house. Delusion at its finest.

In state court, liability will be limited to whatever pennsylvania's governmental tort claim limits are. (in Oklahoma, for example, $150,000) no punitives are generally allowed against political subdivisions such as a public university.

Federal civil rights claims have no liability limits.

How often do GA's go directly to full time assistants at big time universities?

Just saying...

In state court, liability will be limited to whatever pennsylvania's governmental tort claim limits are. (in Oklahoma, for example, $150,000) no punitives are generally allowed against political subdivisions such as a public university.

Federal civil rights claims have no liability limits.

^^^^
This.

Same quandry CU found itself in over Lisa Simpson's allegations and lawsuit. It's why they settled ... as well as just wanting to move on and not burden the new university president with the mess.

I don't know how to broach this. When CU was thrown under the bus by the press it was, well, sickening. We all developed a huge mistrust of the press because of the shoddy, biased, and poor reporting. We were appalled at the jump to conclusion.

For that reason, I find myself really torn. On the one hand, I have little trust of the press. On the other, the allegations are so heinous and the alleged duplicity of the University staff so astonishing that it is almost impossible to take a step back and suppress any emotion.

So, for me, I am trying to objectively filter the information before joining any sort of mob mentality. The important thing is to provide assistance to the victims and their families. Next, to filter all of the facts. Finally, for those in authority and the judicial system to administer both justice and restitution.

We need to see the facts. Who knew what. When did they know it. What did they do with what they knew. In some cases, laws were broken and legal action will be taken in accordance with the law. In other cases, decisions were made that float in a gray area of what should have a person done with the knowledge they had. But we must be selective in our reactions and our judgements. There is no room or excuse for mistake.

So the old and wise JoePa, the coach that mentored young men for decades, couldn't reach into his years of experience when faced with the GA's report of man-boy rape with the simple answer of "son you need to call the police... here use my phone."

What a weak, worthless excuse for a man; only concerned with a football program.

To add to my post that no one will read, :lol:, this scandal will play itself out much faster than our "scandal." At least from the outside, the "facts" in the PSU case seem much more clear.

As for me, I feel for the PSU fans and innocent players and bystanders who will be dragged into the quagmire we CU fans were dragged through. I heard Dugan (radio) call for the Death Penalty for PSU. All that does is add to the damage. Sanctions? You bet!

To add to my post that no one will read, :lol:, this scandal will play itself out much faster than our "scandal." At least from the outside, the "facts" in the PSU case seem much more clear.

As for me, I feel for the PSU fans and innocent players and bystanders who will be dragged into the quagmire we CU fans were dragged through. I heard Dugan (radio) call for the Death Penalty for PSU. All that does is add to the damage. Sanctions? You bet!

Court cases and civil suits can take years. A lot depends on the PSU playbook on handling a scandal. They can make it so that very little is newsworthy down the road.

they'll never do it, but the university should strongly consider shutting down the program if these allegations all prove to be true. if true, you have a widespread conspiracy over many decades to conceal the worst possible crime imaginable, funded by tax payer dollars. they should self impose the death penalty if this all turns out to be accurate.

the taint of this won't wear off for years.

Court cases and civil suits can take years. A lot depends on the PSU playbook on handling a scandal. They can make it so that very little is newsworthy down the road.

The early signs are they have the Vatican´s playbook for handling scandals ....

They should get torched but probably won't, hell, is ohio state going to get any sanctions or punishment for their actions?

Who, what, when, where and how? Until you know these things, you can't administer justice.

Who, what, when, where and how? Until you know these things, you can't administer justice.

How do you "administer justice" in a case as horrific as this one? Cut the perpetrator´s dick off?

I started to read all 10 pages of messages, but gave up - so this may be a repeat.

The grad ass't sees a large man raping a 10 year-old boy and later tells his dad, then joep. And people are saying he is guilty for not having told the police?

If any of you encountered a large man raping a 10 year-old girl - you would act. No doubt, you would act.
When you think about it, if you walked in on that man raping a 10 year-old boy, you would act, too.

This GA was the ultimate coward. He turned his back on a child in dire need. And God help him if that boy saw him and saw he did not act. He hopefully has that scene in his mind everyday. I don't think he can be prosecuted, but if joep loses his job for not reporting, this guy should lose that much+ for not acting and letting that boy suffer.

Back