What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jordan Webb benched

Coach Mac went 1-10 his third year. Can some of the old farts here comment on the vibe around the program then vs now?

I think this is the major clue that JE will be here next year.

Not following you. Regardless of whether Embree will be here, or not, I would be shocked if Dillon's redshirt was pulled. I don't think Embree is the kind of guy who would burn a redshirt in the 10th game, even if his team is 1-8 on the season. He may be incompetent, but he isn't a jerk.

Not following you. Regardless of whether Embree will be here, or not, I would be shocked if Dillon's redshirt was pulled. I don't think Embree is the kind of guy who would burn a redshirt in the 10th game, even if his team is 1-8 on the season. He may be incompetent, but he isn't a jerk.

I would be shocked if it was pulled now also, what I am saying is that the fact that it isn't already pulled means JE will be coaching next year.

I would be shocked if it was pulled now also, what I am saying is that the fact that it isn't already pulled means JE will be coaching next year.

Maybe Embree genuinely cares about Dillon's well-being? Shocking, I know.

Pulling Dillon's RS would be HaLk type thing to do...I doubt you can read anything into Dillon keeping his RS other than it means Embo has Dillon's interest in mind. Putting him out there when you have five available QB's, three of who have seen time this year, would be a premium ahole thing to do to a QB coming off a shoulder surgery.

I don't give a rats ass if Stevie Joe starts as long as Webb doesn't. We've already seen our ass beat on his watch.

Embree doesn't have any say about whether he will be coaching next year. So many seem to forget that the final 3 games of Barnett's last year are what cost him his job, and he had a hell of a lot more to stand on. Embree is now staring down the final 3 games, and he is already on razor thin ice. 3 more blowouts and bye bye Embree.

Tony Jones is averaging 5.0 yards a carry, Powell 4.5, and Ford 4.9. That seems pretty solid so I would go full time wildcat/triple option. Any non-redshirting QB on the team is regulated to throwing out free t-shirts and burritos into the crowd.

Coach Mac went 1-10 his third year. Can some of the old farts here comment on the vibe around the program then vs now?

In some respects it was similar. Bill Mallory was fired a few years after winning (tied) the Big 8 and going to the Orange bowl (Barnett analog) because CU thought they could do better. He was replaced by a big name coach Chuck Fairbanks who took the program downhill fast(Hawkins analog). And he was replaced by a relatively unknown coach named McCartney. I remember screaming my head off when they lost to ND and Missouri that year because those teams would run the same sweep play over and over and we could not stop it (reminds me of something).

Big difference is the amount of fan communication. It was non-existent. Nothing beyond a few letters to the editor. There was not sports talk radio, Internet, recruiting sites. The scrutiny is orders of magnitude higher today than back then. Makes for a whole different dynamic.

Webb cannot make the throws that are required in this offense (or almost any offense) so he has no upside - he appears to be physically incapable. The coaches seem to be worried about mistakes or something (I cannot figure it out as bad as Webb has looked). I went back and watched Wood and Hirschman - Wood is really inconsistent with his throws - sometimes looks as far off target as Webb. Neither Hirschman nor Wood are above 50% on completions which is concerning.

I come back to the fact that this team looks so lost. I see other teams that get some production out of their backups. We cannot even get it out of the starter. In 2002 the Buffs got production out of the backup ( Robert Hodge) who was very limited but even he had a QB rating of 117. The dynamic with this Buff team is baffling to say the least.

Now finally, just about 8 games too late. I still remember getting banned for suggesting that we bench Webb. Oh well, better now that never.

Webb cannot make the throws that are required in this offense (or almost any offense) so he has no upside - he appears to be physically incapable. The coaches seem to be worried about mistakes or something (I cannot figure it out as bad as Webb has looked). I went back and watched Wood and Hirschman - Wood is really inconsistent with his throws - sometimes looks as far off target as Webb. Neither Hirschman nor Wood are above 50% on completions which is concerning.

I come back to the fact that this team looks so lost. I see other teams that get some production out of their backups. We cannot even get it out of the starter. In 2002 the Buffs got production out of the backup ( Robert Hodge) who was very limited but even he had a QB rating of 117. The dynamic with this Buff team is baffling to say the least.

I agree with you on the lost part. It looks like they are still learning scheme basics and assignments two years into this thing. It has to be the pro offense and he multiple sets. The line looks totally confused and as a result is a step slow collectively on many plays. I really do not think it is a physical talent thing. If that was the case, K State wold not win a game. I really expected them to be much improved this year and to get better as the season wore on. I just have not seen it. I have to wonder about the internal dynamics of this team. There appears to be an almost total lack of leadership from the upperclassmen and the many freshman who have been thrown into the fire are struggling mightily as a result.

Perhaps Hirschman and Wood will see the field at the same time. Both QB's in the shotgun, just toying with the defense to guess which one will receive the ball. Pure win!
LtC, yes, exactly. I've wondered when we'd see this as The Next Big Thing in Football Offenses. Not just a 'trick play' but an honest-to-gosh dual-QB backfield, where a lateral-then-pass-or-run was always possible.

One of the great things about so-called Dual Threat QBs was that DBs were faced with a terrible choice - play zone and QBs and Receivers know where the holes are immediately, so they aim for those. It's a quick passing game, but a slipped tackle or bad angle gives the WRs the chance to run and keep running.

Or, DBs can play man-to-man, at which point their turn their back on the QB(s) and tail the WRs. When the QBs take off and run, they're 10-15 yards down the field, running up the backside of the DBs.

In the right hands, it's an awesome offense. (I thought the REAL defense was "not to charge-rush, but to hold a line and slowly collapse - wear out the O-Line in a long wrestling match, rather than bull-rushes.)

But a two-QB backfield would open up an almost constant threat of an across-the-field lateral and a re-targeting one side of the sloped field or the other. Make the Defense constantly run East West, too. The great Dual Threat QBs always exposed the ability to wear out D's... the best conditioned teams showed up at the end of each half. Or sometimes, middle of the halves.

Now finally, just about 8 games too late. I still remember getting banned for suggesting that we bench Webb. Oh well, better now that never.

Way to go victim. Can you produce the post that got you banned? I have a hunch that maybe it was more than just "suggesting that we bench Webb."

Back