What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jordan Webb must be benched

That's certainly an issue. Another issue is through 1.5 seasons of several blowouts, our backups have not gotten much playing time at all. Not a good situation all around.

I have to believe that Hirsch or Wood would bring something to the position that would cause the defenses problems. Better arms cannot hurt. A change has to happen soon...

I knew from the first game that Jordan Webb was average and was surprised that he was named starter. Didn't get why the staff was recruiting a spread QB to play in the pro-style offense. I agree with most of the comments on here, lets see what the other QBs' can do, at this stage it should be an evaluation process. Give both Wood and Hirschman a chance to play more. I was even attacked on this board for my views, I had hoped that I was wrong because being right would have been bad for the program.

Last edited:
Hopefully 1 more year of better coaching from a new coach will help the OL. Improved QB play will also help the OL.

OL can improve with better coaching, they can add 5-10 pounds each of bulk in a year. I am actually looking forward to the Development of Irwin, made a nice block against Fresno State. A good QB that knows when to throw the ball away, a QB that can make plays with less chances will also help the OL.

Wood must look like complete dogs**t in practice, either that or he's hurt. Not sure why else he can't get 4th Qtr snaps in a blowout when the other backup is 0-1 with a pick.

Benching him would be a good idea if we actually gave the backups quality PT, not just PT. Handing the ball off every play to end the game does not give Hirschman/Wood experience

There have been QB changes all over the country already, and in situations with far more ambiguity than ours. The results are in on Webb, and they have been replicated in every game, save for a few 10 minute spurts vs. CSU, Sac State, and WSU. At this point, Embree just looks stubborn and as if he is simply defending his fall camp decision. Adapt or die.

We will not see a clear change until the Stanford game at the earliest IMO. The coaching staff is going to be very hesitant to make the switch for the two hardest games on the schedule, road games no less.

What needs to happen is getting the backup(s) some meaningful playing time when the game gets out of hand. If Webb is playing while we're down 5 TDs, it makes no sense.

We will not see a clear change until the Stanford game at the earliest IMO. The coaching staff is going to be very hesitant to make the switch for the two hardest games on the schedule, road games no less.

What needs to happen is getting the backup(s) some meaningful playing time when the game gets out of hand. If Webb is playing while we're down 5 TDs, it makes no sense.

I think they need to let Wood or Hirschman start a game. Give them all the reps with the first team all week and let them play a game under realistic conditions. Putting Wood in the Fresno game down 21-0 after half a quarter doesn't count. Putting Hirschman in for the last two drives of a blowout against the fifth stringers doesn't count. I'm fine waiting until after USC and Oregon, but Webb's had his shot against ****** teams and can't do it. Maybe Wood and Hirschman will be worse, but I'd like them to get a fair shot to show what they can or can't do.

EDIT: although, the fact they keep Webb in down 5 TDs is further proof the coaches have no faith in Wood or Hirschman. I suspect they're keeping Webb in hoping he'll keep the score closer and keep their seats a little cooler. Not working.

I think they need to let Wood or Hirschman start a game. Give them all the reps with the first team all week and let them play a game under realistic conditions. Putting Wood in the Fresno game down 21-0 after half a quarter doesn't count. Putting Hirschman in for the last two drives of a blowout against the fifth stringers doesn't count. I'm fine waiting until after USC and Oregon, but Webb's had his shot against ****** teams and can't do it. Maybe Wood and Hirschman will be worse, but I'd like them to get a fair shot to show what they can or can't do.

EDIT: although, the fact they keep Webb in down 5 TDs is further proof the coaches have no faith in Wood or Hirschman. I suspect they're keeping Webb in hoping he'll keep the score closer and keep their seats a little cooler. Not working.

They may be trying to keep scores respectable, but I think it is the general NFL mentality more than anything. No one cares about the backups in the NFL, especially at QB. The starter gets most of the reps and stays in the game, even in most blowouts. Coaches are hesitant to make QB changes until absolutely necessary, and they usually wait for home games or after bye weeks (ASU could have been that opportunity) if it does happen.

So if we lose by 50 with other QBs we couldn't go back to losing by 35? That would definitely suck.

i'm just saying at this point, bad as we are....there are two choices....either prep for the future and give a guy who wasn't better than David Ash or McCoy lesser some snaps or try and win a couple more games and at least you aren't recruiting on a 1 win season.

nothing seems like Wood or Hirsch are the guy for the future anyway.

anyway, losing to Sac State at home is much worse than losing by either 35 or 50.

From what I have heard (could be totally wrong) Wood has an injured shoulder. He is on sideline and dressed to play but only in emergency situation.

Webb is a QB who just doesn't win games. Look at his time at KU and CU. He is a nice guy and has respect of players and coaches. But it doesn't change the fact that he has 6 wins and 20ish loses as a starter. He is just not a game changer and I think record shows he just doesn't have the skill set to win at this level. At this point season is down the ****ter so I would rather see Wood get the time..... at least he has more time here and a bigger upside. BUT that will not happen (even if healthy) against USC or Oregon. Putting him in that situation would not be fair to him. We are gonna get crushed no matter what and I am guessing the worry would be he will be so mentally destroyed from it he won't ever develop. So as painful as this is I am guessing Webb will be the starter until Washington. If we have not won a game by then (highly likely) I would guess they have to put someone else in.

They may be trying to keep scores respectable, but I think it is the general NFL mentality more than anything. No one cares about the backups in the NFL, especially at QB. The starter gets most of the reps and stays in the game, even in most blowouts. Coaches are hesitant to make QB changes until absolutely necessary, and they usually wait for home games or after bye weeks (ASU could have been that opportunity) if it does happen.

This is probably as good an explanation as any. In the NFL they bring a guy in to be the starter, put their time and effort into him and go with him until he is hurt or they have no choice to change him. Anytime the team is losing fans are going to call for the back-up so don't give them ammunition by giving the back-up a chance to look good.

I also think a lot of coaches look first and formost for an extension of themselves on the field. They are willing to give up physical ability for a guy who they believe will do what they want the way they want every play.

I have been baffled by how long they wait to put the backup in for both the UCLA game and the ASU game. I think that Wood is hurt.

We absolutely need to abandon the pro-set; we just don't have the players for it. Install the option. Make one of the RBs into a QB. Work with the OL on run blocking only (& make Nembot an every-down player.) Simplify everything. Get Pow, Jones, and Ford on the field at the same time. Pass to Kasa or Spruce every now and then to mix things up. Run the occasional reverse to G. Thomas.

Practice this against SC and O (we're going to get killed anyway so treat the games as scrimmages.)

Do this and try to keep opposing offenses off the field and make the scores more respectable so as to get some kind of recruiting class for next year. Only when we can go .500 should we even consider going back to pro-set.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the spread run option offense . Would like to see more of the passing spread offense combined with some pro-style set. The program has recruited players like Sefo and Shane Dillon for the pro-stye offense. The problem is Jordan Webb is not suited for our offense.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the spread run option offense . Would like to see more of the passing spread offense combined with some pro-style set. The program has recruited players like Sefo and Shane Dillon for the pro-stye offense. The problem is Jordan Webb is not suited for our offense.
:lol:

I think we all see why Webb isn't at KU anymore.
I agree, because Dayne Crist is soooo much better!

So basically normal offense.

We absolutely need to abandon the pro-set; we just don't have the players for it. Install the option. Make one of the RBs into a QB. Work with the OL on run blocking only (& make Nembot an every-down player.) Simplify everything. Get Pow, Jones, and Ford on the field at the same time. Pass to Kasa or Spruce every now and then to mix things up. Run the occasional reverse to G. Thomas.

Practice this against SC and O (we're going to get killed anyway so treat the games as scrimmages.)

Do this and try to keep opposing offenses off the field and make the scores more respectable so as to get some kind of recruiting class for next year. Only when we can go .500 should we even consider going back to pro-set.

In other words, you wish BJax was at QB?

In other words, you wish BJax was at QB?

More or less. If we had more supporting talent, I'd wish for Detmer at QB; but he wouldn't be able to block for himself, run routes, or catch his own passes. We are many players away from being able to run an effective pro set. Today, someone like Hatcher in an option offense might be a better bet.

Embree should take a trip to the Springs and talk to the Air Force staff. They seem to do a ton better than we do with (arguably) less talent. They do it with players who know they are not going pro. The beat CSU 42-21 and hung tough with Michigan. Our coaches have absolutely no excuse for our performance. The coaches need to put the players in a position where they have a chance to succeed.

Back